Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Used Shipping Containers

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,205

    Used Shipping Containers

    Every buy one?

    Know anyone who bought one?

    Ever done any research?

    I've looked at a few companies, but don't really know what to think about it all other than that I like the look...

    Feedback appreciated

  2. #2
    #*! boat! Gilligan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    41,885
    Blog Entries
    7
    Very handy. We've used them for a number of jobs (and for shipping overseas) and I'm looking at getting one for storage behind our shop facility too. There's a guy with a 7D (769) phone number sold them delivered in this area. I'll see if I can find his info..

    There is always some at the bi-annual equipment auctions held at Flat Iron Farm in Great Mills too.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  3. #3
    I have bought multiple 20' over the years. The ones I bought in MD I just went to Baltimore and picked out the two I wanted and they were delivered.
    Same thing here in Indiana, I picked out the ones I wanted and the salesman marked them with a spray can of paint and I wrote down the serial numbers on the side of the shipping containers.
    I know there is a guy down in 7th district that moves them, he might even have so.e for sale. Sorry but I don't know his name any longer.
    Check and make sure they are watertight and the doors and door frame are square and reasonably easy to open.

    Edit, Gilligan, the boys with the trucking company back in 7th know who does it.
    Last edited by black dog; 09-12-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

  4. #4
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    40,866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by inkah View Post
    Every buy one?

    Know anyone who bought one?

    Ever done any research?

    I've looked at a few companies, but don't really know what to think about it all other than that I like the look...

    Feedback appreciated
    What would you use it for??

    I ask because somebody we know bought one thinking they were sealed (makes sense as to how they are used lashed on the deck of the ship) and stored a very nice car in one behind his business..

    Several years go by and he decides to check to see how his prize possession is doing.. it was a total lost of mold.. fungus.. etc... etc...

    My thought, even if it is Sealed (short of being Vacuum Packed) you'd still need a source for dehumidification.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  5. #5
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Very handy. We've used them for a number of jobs (and for shipping overseas) and I'm looking at getting one for storage behind our shop facility too. There's a guy with a 7D (769) phone number sold them delivered in this area. I'll see if I can find his info..

    There is always some at the bi-annual equipment auctions held at Flat Iron Farm in Great Mills too.
    any idea what sort of prices you might find on those, Gilligan? Got an interesting place on my lower driveway, wonder what sort of span you can get away with on these things.... I'm wondering if two 6x6s would support a 20 footer. I'm thinking the gap where I'm talking would be about 10 feet or so.......
    "I aim to misbehave."

  6. #6
    what would you do with a shipping container if you bought one? (not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand)

  7. #7
    #*! boat! Gilligan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    41,885
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    any idea what sort of prices you might find on those, Gilligan? Got an interesting place on my lower driveway, wonder what sort of span you can get away with on these things.... I'm wondering if two 6x6s would support a 20 footer. I'm thinking the gap where I'm talking would be about 10 feet or so.......

    Back when the 7D guy quoted one delivered to Piney Point, it around $2800 for a 40' and nearly the same for a 20' (20 the more popular size for folks wanting storage space apparently) as best I recall. They've been going for similar prices at the Flat Iron auctions....give or take depending on condition. And they are HEAVY...

    I want one - a 40' - for two reasons...for storing steel inventory (pipe, tubing, structural shapes) and for storing lots of engines (that are currently lying around in piles, some covered..many not).
    Last edited by Gilligan; 09-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    What would you use it for??

    I ask because somebody we know bought one thinking they were sealed (makes sense as to how they are used lashed on the deck of the ship) and stored a very nice car in one behind his business..

    Several years go by and he decides to check to see how his prize possession is doing.. it was a total lost of mold.. fungus.. etc... etc...

    My thought, even if it is Sealed (short of being Vacuum Packed) you'd still need a source for dehumidification.
    I keep two cars in connex's. Both have dehumidifiers in them on timers.
    Someone who puts a collectable in storage and doesn't check it, asks for problems.
    Connex containers have a air vent in a upper outside corner, it's a metal box like a dorade vent on a boat. Plus at least mine have pressure treated wood floors that will allow moisture in.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    any idea what sort of prices you might find on those, Gilligan? Got an interesting place on my lower driveway, wonder what sort of span you can get away with on these things.... I'm wondering if two 6x6s would support a 20 footer. I'm thinking the gap where I'm talking would be about 10 feet or so.......
    I didn't use wood on my 20 footers, I put thick plastic down and then gravel. I set the containers up about 6" on solid cinder blocks. I wanted air to circulate under them.
    Plus you need to level them so the doors work easier. I put blocks at eash corner and in the middle. Like you said a 10' span. One in Maryland easily had 20 tons worth of tools and stock metal stored in it.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

  10. #10
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,365
    Quote Originally Posted by terbear1225 View Post
    what would you do with a shipping container if you bought one? (not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand)
    I've got a lot of stuff to store that I don't really need to keep in the garage or shed. Spare car parts like a couple of rear bumpers and a trunk lid, engine hoist and engine stand. Plan on taking down the 9x18 above ground pool this winter and redoing the base, that will take up some space.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 102

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |