Used Shipping Containers

inkah

Every buy one?

Know anyone who bought one?

Ever done any research?

I've looked at a few companies, but don't really know what to think about it all other than that I like the look...

Feedback appreciated

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Very handy. We've used them for a number of jobs (and for shipping overseas) and I'm looking at getting one for storage behind our shop facility too. There's a guy with a 7D (769) phone number sold them delivered in this area. I'll see if I can find his info..

There is always some at the bi-annual equipment auctions held at Flat Iron Farm in Great Mills too.

black dog

Free America
I have bought multiple 20' over the years. The ones I bought in MD I just went to Baltimore and picked out the two I wanted and they were delivered.
Same thing here in Indiana, I picked out the ones I wanted and the salesman marked them with a spray can of paint and I wrote down the serial numbers on the side of the shipping containers.
I know there is a guy down in 7th district that moves them, he might even have so.e for sale. Sorry but I don't know his name any longer.
Check and make sure they are watertight and the doors and door frame are square and reasonably easy to open.

Edit, Gilligan, the boys with the trucking company back in 7th know who does it.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Every buy one?

Ever done any research?

I've looked at a few companies, but don't really know what to think about it all other than that I like the look...

Feedback appreciated

What would you use it for??

I ask because somebody we know bought one thinking they were sealed (makes sense as to how they are used lashed on the deck of the ship) and stored a very nice car in one behind his business..

Several years go by and he decides to check to see how his prize possession is doing.. it was a total lost of mold.. fungus.. etc... etc...

My thought, even if it is Sealed (short of being Vacuum Packed) you'd still need a source for dehumidification.

glhs837

Power with Control
Very handy. We've used them for a number of jobs (and for shipping overseas) and I'm looking at getting one for storage behind our shop facility too. There's a guy with a 7D (769) phone number sold them delivered in this area. I'll see if I can find his info..

There is always some at the bi-annual equipment auctions held at Flat Iron Farm in Great Mills too.

any idea what sort of prices you might find on those, Gilligan? Got an interesting place on my lower driveway, wonder what sort of span you can get away with on these things.... I'm wondering if two 6x6s would support a 20 footer. I'm thinking the gap where I'm talking would be about 10 feet or so.......

terbear1225

what would you do with a shipping container if you bought one? (not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
any idea what sort of prices you might find on those, Gilligan? Got an interesting place on my lower driveway, wonder what sort of span you can get away with on these things.... I'm wondering if two 6x6s would support a 20 footer. I'm thinking the gap where I'm talking would be about 10 feet or so.......

Back when the 7D guy quoted one delivered to Piney Point, it around $2800 for a 40' and nearly the same for a 20' (20 the more popular size for folks wanting storage space apparently) as best I recall. They've been going for similar prices at the Flat Iron auctions....give or take depending on condition. And they are HEAVY...

I want one - a 40' - for two reasons...for storing steel inventory (pipe, tubing, structural shapes) and for storing lots of engines (that are currently lying around in piles, some covered..many not).

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
What would you use it for??

I ask because somebody we know bought one thinking they were sealed (makes sense as to how they are used lashed on the deck of the ship) and stored a very nice car in one behind his business..

Several years go by and he decides to check to see how his prize possession is doing.. it was a total lost of mold.. fungus.. etc... etc...

My thought, even if it is Sealed (short of being Vacuum Packed) you'd still need a source for dehumidification.

I keep two cars in connex's. Both have dehumidifiers in them on timers.
Someone who puts a collectable in storage and doesn't check it, asks for problems.
Connex containers have a air vent in a upper outside corner, it's a metal box like a dorade vent on a boat. Plus at least mine have pressure treated wood floors that will allow moisture in.

black dog

Free America

I didn't use wood on my 20 footers, I put thick plastic down and then gravel. I set the containers up about 6" on solid cinder blocks. I wanted air to circulate under them.
Plus you need to level them so the doors work easier. I put blocks at eash corner and in the middle. Like you said a 10' span. One in Maryland easily had 20 tons worth of tools and stock metal stored in it.

glhs837

Power with Control
what would you do with a shipping container if you bought one? (not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand)

I've got a lot of stuff to store that I don't really need to keep in the garage or shed. Spare car parts like a couple of rear bumpers and a trunk lid, engine hoist and engine stand. Plan on taking down the 9x18 above ground pool this winter and redoing the base, that will take up some space.

lovinmaryland

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 443

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Every buy one?

Ever done any research?

Feedback appreciated

Yup. We have two 40 foot containers behind our church we use for storage. very convienent if you store the whatevers in a manner of getting stuff out
of a narrow walkway to the front. We installed lighting and wall unit A/C's in each one and that does the dehumidification trick quite well, they cost us about two grand each.

black dog

Free America
Back when the 7D guy quoted one delivered to Piney Point, it around $2800 for a 40' and nearly the same for a 20' (20 the more popular size for folks wanting storage space apparently) as best I recall. They've been going for similar prices at the Flat Iron auctions....give or take depending on condition. And they are HEAVY...

I want one - a 40' - for two reasons...for storing steel inventory (pipe, tubing, structural shapes) and for storing lots of engines (that are currently lying around in piles, some covered..many not).

I would suggest that if you buy a 40 footer you get one with doors at both ends.
Other wise what you want will be at the opposite end of the container everytime.
I stuck one 20' through the shop wall to store metal in the shop. ( I saw it done at Stoffers ) I can open the connex doors outside to just slide the metal off the delivery truck right into the connex.. it works very well.

glhs837

Power with Control
I didn't use wood on my 20 footers, I put thick plastic down and then gravel. I set the containers up about 6" on solid cinder blocks. I wanted air to circulate under them.
Plus you need to level them so the doors work easier. I put blocks at eash corner and in the middle. Like you said a 10' span. One in Maryland easily had 20 tons worth of tools and stock metal stored in it.

From what I read, you really only need to place good solid blocks under the four corners and it is quite happy to rest on those. Of course, they need to be solid and not liable to sink under load. Of course, a crane would be need to lift and set it across the gap. Seems an empty 20 footer weighs under 5,000lbs. Not a high cube, that might go over that a bit.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I would suggest that if you buy a 40 footer you get one with doors at both ends.
Other wise what you want will be at the opposite end of the container everytime.
I stuck one 20' through the shop wall to store metal in the shop. ( I saw it done at Stoffers ) I can open the connex doors outside to just slide the metal off the delivery truck right into the connex.. it works very well.

It's going to be shoved back in my woods...I won't have access to the far end. I plan on putting an i-beam down the center of the ceiling so that I can roll engines in and out using an overhead trolley and a come-a-long winch to lift them. Just need to leave barely a path through the center.

I don't handle anything like the quantity of metal that Gerald and the boys do..but I do get tired of seeing perfectly good stock rust away.

black dog

Free America
It's going to be shoved back in my woods...I won't have access to the far end. I plan on putting an i-beam down the center of the ceiling so that I can roll engines in and out using an overhead trolley and a come-a-long winch to lift them. Just need to leave barely a path through the center.

I don't handle anything like the quantity of metal that Gerald and the boys do..but I do get tired of seeing perfectly good stock rust away.

The internal I beam would be great. I hose down my metal orders with PB blaster when coming off the truck. Rust is no good for laying a nice finish.. I only stock maybe 2 months worth of metal, I got caught without AR 400 and 500 during the beginning of the Humvee Armor upgrades, I stock a year or so of that.
When I move to the new to me building this winter I might start stocking a assortment of steel, like they do for resale.. it's at least 25 miles to any reasonably priced metal where I live.. it might not be worth all the retail license's and bull$hit for the income.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

no they have vents at the top front and back ..... 'sealed' is a relative term

now the Refrigerated ones are sealed