Greetings from Solomons!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We pulled into the campground Monday afternoon, got the motorhome out of storage, and proceeded to set it up. Plug into the pole...no power. We've had this problem before and it was always the fault of the pole - hit the reset switch for the breaker, boom, back in business.

Not this time. This time it was us and we had to have the guy come out and fixee. He came out Tuesday evening and worked his magic, and we're good to go.

That night without electricity wasn't fun, but I'm always afraid to complain about some minor inconvenience because I think the Karma Gods will go, "Oh, look, Dee Jay needs something to cry about" and smite me. Not to mention our friends in Houston and the Southeast who are dealing with real problems, so it seems ridiculous to whine about something so piddling.

So my gratitude today is for a couple of things: 1, all my friends and family in the hurricane affected areas are okay with just minor property damage; and 2, that the worst thing that's happened to me in a very long while is that I had to do without electric for 24 hours. It always helps to keep things in perspective.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Not this time. This time it was us and we had to have the guy come out and fixee. He came out Tuesday evening and worked his magic, and we're good to go.

What was wrong with the RV?
It is a nice to know thing for all RV'ers.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Leveled, slide out & set up.

DSCN4834.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
What was wrong with the RV?
It is a nice to know thing for all RV'ers.
W

We had a bad relay in the shore power. Other than fuses or breakers, I leave the electrical stuff to the pros.

Interesting to note that on many of the facebook RV sites people with new RVs & trailers are having to put their rigs in the shop often. RVs aren't built on an assembly line. It stays in 1 spot and the workers come to work on it. Then you factor in all the systems, plumbing, electrical, water, slideouts, chassis, engine, levelers, it's almost impossible for every system to be thoroughly tested before someone takes delivery. Cheap
parts from China are also to blame for a lot of the issues that people are having.

So now people are looking for lightly used older models since the consensus is that they were made better than what they roll out today.

General Lee

Interesting to note that on many of the facebook RV sites people with new RVs & trailers are having to put their rigs in the shop often. RVs aren't built on an assembly line. It stays in 1 spot and the workers come to work on it. Then you factor in all the systems, plumbing, electrical, water, slideouts, chassis, engine, levelers, it's almost impossible for every system to be thoroughly tested before someone takes delivery. Cheap
parts from China are also to blame for a lot of the issues that people are having.

So now people are looking for lightly used older models since the consensus is that they were made better than what they roll out today.

That is the truth. The RV's today really are junk. Cheap materials, slapped together. There is a video on youtube that shows a travel trailer being built in 6 hours at the factory.....

Monello

PREMO Member
A big shout out to Billy from SOMD RV & Trailer Service for fixing us. He did a great job troubleshooting and fixing. Even with me peeking over his shoulder.

Monello

PREMO Member
That is the truth. The RV's today really are junk. Cheap materials, slapped together. There is a video on youtube that shows a travel trailer being built in 6 hours at the factory.....

The issue is they don't stress test all the systems enough. Then when the buyer takes delivery they have to find all the issues. This has the owner back at the shop getting the punch list taken care of. Some folk complain about having to go back multiple times and having the rig in the shop many months the first year they own it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We pulled into the campground Monday afternoon, got the motorhome out of storage, and proceeded to set it up. Plug into the pole...no power. We've had this problem before and it was always the fault of the pole - hit the reset switch for the breaker, boom, back in business.

That night without electricity wasn't fun, but I'm always afraid to complain about some minor inconvenience because I think the Karma Gods will go, "Oh, look, Dee Jay needs something to cry about" and smite me. Not to mention our friends in Houston and the Southeast who are dealing with real problems, so it seems ridiculous to whine about something so piddling.

So my gratitude today is for a couple of things: 1, all my friends and family in the hurricane affected areas are okay with just minor property damage; and 2, that the worst thing that's happened to me in a very long while is that I had to do without electric for 24 hours. It always helps to keep things in perspective.

Y'all had quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing it all. Glad y'all made it home, safely. :smile:

Last edited: