Deuteronomy 32 Angered by sons and daughters

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 32:19 The Lord saw this and rejected them
because he was angered by his sons and daughters.
20 “I will hide my face from them,” he said,
“and see what their end will be;
for they are a perverse generation,
children who are unfaithful.
21 They made me jealous by what is no god
and angered me with their worthless idols.
I will make them envious by those who are not a people;
I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.
22 For a fire will be kindled by my wrath,
one that burns down to the realm of the dead below.
It will devour the earth and its harvests
and set afire the foundations of the mountains.
23 “I will heap calamities on them
and spend my arrows against them.
24 I will send wasting famine against them,
consuming pestilence and deadly plague;
I will send against them the fangs of wild beasts,
the venom of vipers that glide in the dust.
25 In the street the sword will make them childless;
in their homes terror will reign.
The young men and young women will perish,
the infants and those with gray hair.
26 I said I would scatter them
and erase their name from human memory,
27 but I dreaded the taunt of the enemy,
lest the adversary misunderstand
and say, ‘Our hand has triumphed;
the Lord has not done all this.’”​

The song continues. This is quite a warning. Verse 19 shows that God thought of these people like children. The children He created, protected, rescued, and now offered a land so plentiful that it took to men and a pole to carry a cluster of grapes, meant so much to Him.

These people who claimed a golden calf just popped out of the smelting pot, made God so jealous, that He could no longer allow it to continue. You know humans can only take so much abuse.... well God can only take so much abuse.... He made us in His image so it makes sense He knows jealousy when it hits Him. He's God so He knows why He's jealous.... and those Jews just refused to obey.

The Jews were going to make God look stupid and God simply could not and would not tolerate it.

This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

When God's people forsake Him, He withdraws the intimacy of His presence. At first, this is sometimes seen as a relief, because the conviction of sin is not so great. But then the darkness and desperation sets in.

When the hiding of His face does not draw God's people into repentance, God then sends His hand of correction, and allows calamity to bring the attention of His people back upon Him.​

This is from the easy English site.

Verses 19-25 are the judgement of the judge at the end of the trial. God is the judge and he decides how to punish Israel. He will leave them. He will not help them. They will not be able to get away from his anger. They worshipped false gods that had no value. So, nations that do not worship God will attack Israel. There will be hunger and disease. Wild animals, war and death will attack them.

There is one uplifting verse hidden here. It says here "his sons and daughters". Even today I meet people at Bible Study groups who do not know that they are "his sons and daughters". The Israelites were "his sons and daughters" first.... now those of us who are born again.... we're His sons and daughters.

:coffee: