Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Carbon footprints of the Telethon stars

  1. #1
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    31,978

    Carbon footprints of the Telethon stars

    Carbon footprints of the Telethon stars: The Hand in Hand hurricane fund-raiser started with a lecture about global warming - then celebrities with multiple homes, cars and private jets starting soliciting much needed money

    • Whole host of A-list celebrities turned out for the Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Harvey Relief telethon
    • An exclusive MailOnline investigation has revealed how much CO2 they have burned through by globetrotting
    • Performer Justin Bieber is thought to have travelled at least 136,000 miles in planes since September last year
    • Carbon emissions are said to have caused global temperature rising adding to devastation of powerful storms


    The A-list celebrities who starred in the telethon for those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma have clocked up hundreds of thousands of air miles which have fuelled rising temperatures and helped create devastating storms.

    Tuesday night's Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Harvey Relief included performances and messages from Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, George Clooney, Cher and Leonardo DiCaprio.

    They appealed to viewers to donate to help fund relief efforts after the disastrous storms hit the southern US.

    But a MailOnline investigation has revealed the extent to which stars have contributed to the catastrophic weather phenomenons with their jet-setting lifestyles.

    Justin Bieber is calculated to have travelled at least 136,000 miles in a plane over the last year, environmentalist DiCaprio is believed to have done more than 87,000 miles while fellow actor Clooney did 61,000 miles.

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dded-Irma.html
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  2. #2
    Saw that, but it really doesn't tell ENOUGH of the picture. It focuses entirely on jetting around.
    It's not JUST that they squander energy jumping all around the world - especially USING those trips to tell OTHER people to be "green" -

    It doesn't mention the rest of their lifestyle which has at least as big a footprint as they have.
    Owning several homes, all much bigger than your average American - several cars, boats and running electricity in all of them -
    Yeah - they have HUGE carbon footprints. I will start paying attention to any one of them that practices what they preach.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Saw that, but it really doesn't tell ENOUGH of the picture. It focuses entirely on jetting around.
    It's not JUST that they squander energy jumping all around the world - especially USING those trips to tell OTHER people to be "green" -

    It doesn't mention the rest of their lifestyle which has at least as big a footprint as they have.
    Owning several homes, all much bigger than your average American - several cars, boats and running electricity in all of them -
    Yeah - they have HUGE carbon footprints. I will start paying attention to any one of them that practices what they preach.
    Don't you understand???

    YOU have to sacrifice so THEY have the fuel they need to educate and entertain you.

    You obviously don't know how difficult it is to be Dicaprio or Clooney. The burden they endure living in such opulence, just to provide the public it's needed awe and envy.

  4. #4
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    31,978
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Yeah - they have HUGE carbon footprints. I will start paying attention to any one of them that practices what they preach.

    James Cameron has 3 huge mansions ....
    - makes Avatar everyone swoons at the friendly eco story
    - lectures Americans about carbon foot prints and living responsibly



    James Cameron says Avatar a message to stop damaging environment



    Yes, James Cameron has many political axes to grind in this very beautiful film, and no matter how awe-inspiring the scenery and action gets, there’s always an obtrusively highlighted moralistic footnote to distract the viewer. That said, the visuals are undeniably amazing. From the opening scenes on board spaceship to when the crippled marine named Jake first takes control of his genetically engineered avatar body, the sets and gadgets are incredible.

    And once Jake actually leaves civilization for the glowing, fog-shrouded rainforest of Pandora, things get even more eye-popping. Six-legged monster jaguars prowl through bioluminescent foliage and scare up orange helicopter lizards, while blue-crested pterodactyls weave over and under floating mountains dotted with inexplicable waterfalls. Jake experiences all of this by Tarzaning around in the hyper-athletic body of a twelve-foot-tall blue alien, and as soon as he abandons his pasty-white paralyzed human husk for such physical perfection, it’s clear that he’s never going back.

    A lot of people have pointed out that Avatar is the same storyline as Dances with Wolves (including the director), but it also borrows heavily from FernGully, Dinotopia, and Pocahontas. Not the actual true story of Pocahontas, of course, but Disney’s animated New Age eco-romance. This post-modern version of a gone-native John Smith and the wise warrior woman who guides him in primitive tribalism seems to be Cameron’s main source for Avatar.

    In fact, the similarities are painfully obvious: Our expressionless hero tags along on an expedition that leaves him lost in the incredible jungle and found by the chief’s daughter. Taken back to camp, her father, played by Cherokee actor Wes Studi (Pocahontas’s uncle in the live-action Terrence Malick revision of the story), condemns him to death, and just as the peaceful and tolerant forest folk are about to gut him like a fish for being a slimy paleface, our extra-terrestrial Pocahontas steps in.


    Avatar: Sci-fi Environmentalism for the Masses





    Ed Begley Jr is a weirdo .... but he at least lives what he preaches
    Last edited by GURPS; 09-14-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  5. #5
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    40,866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Carbon footprints of the Telethon stars: The Hand in Hand hurricane fund-raiser started with a lecture about global warming - then celebrities with multiple homes, cars and private jets starting soliciting much needed money

    • Whole host of A-list celebrities turned out for the Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Harvey Relief telethon
    • An exclusive MailOnline investigation has revealed how much CO2 they have burned through by globetrotting
    • Performer Justin Bieber is thought to have travelled at least 136,000 miles in planes since September last year
    • Carbon emissions are said to have caused global temperature rising adding to devastation of powerful storms


    The A-list celebrities who starred in the telethon for those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma have clocked up hundreds of thousands of air miles which have fuelled rising temperatures and helped create devastating storms.

    Tuesday night's Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Harvey Relief included performances and messages from Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, George Clooney, Cher and Leonardo DiCaprio.

    They appealed to viewers to donate to help fund relief efforts after the disastrous storms hit the southern US.

    But a MailOnline investigation has revealed the extent to which stars have contributed to the catastrophic weather phenomenons with their jet-setting lifestyles.

    Justin Bieber is calculated to have travelled at least 136,000 miles in a plane over the last year, environmentalist DiCaprio is believed to have done more than 87,000 miles while fellow actor Clooney did 61,000 miles.

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dded-Irma.html
    Like to see further research as to how much each of them actually donated after belittling the commoner for not doing their part.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Ed Begley Jr is a weirdo .... but he at least lives what he preaches
    And it's not so much some anti-Hollywood thing.

    If your nutritionist or doctor gave you advice on diet - and they were both extremely overweight - you might think, well, they ARE educated in this but they can't seriously believe in it, because they'd DO it.

    I suppose if I wanted to rationalize I might think as some liberal do, that if they get the BIG job, their own personal contribution is inconsequential.
    I'm not that way. If I *really* thought that certain actions were killing the planet - I would DO MY BEST not to do them, to set the example, to show people "this is how you can do it".
    I would LIVE in a simple home that was totally green - I would LIVE a lifestyle that showed I was caring for the environment.

    I wouldn't fool myself into thinking that I'm doing my part by living in a 20,000 sq ft mansion that has a few solar panels here and there while I jet off to my winter cabin or cruise on my gas-guzzling yacht.
    That's what it seems these guys do - they toss a bone to the whole green thing while STILL living more lavishly than almost any American ever has.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  7. #7
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    31,978
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    That's what it seems these guys do - they toss a bone to the whole green thing while STILL living more lavishly than almost any American ever has.

    for Thee not for mee
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Members who have read this thread: 35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |