Amazon Appears To Be Deleting One-Star Reviews Of Hillary Clinton's New Book

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Amazon Appears To Be Deleting One-Star Reviews Of Hillary Clinton's New Book
Retailer says they're just "monitoring" the system for signs of abuse.

Amazon says it's monitoring the system for signs of "abuse" after a page promoting Hillary Clinton's new book, What Happened, was flooded with one-star reviews.

The book, a several-hundred page blame game disguised as a memoir, hit shelves yesterday, but before Amazon's copies of What Happened had even reached doorsteps, the negative reactions began to pour in.

:killingme

the book discounted 40% before it every went on sale

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
They probably over-ordered and are removing the negative reviews to keep from being stuck with a ####-load of them.

here is the thing I do not understand

40% R
40% D

left overs are independent ......

40ish % of 325 million should be more than enough to support Progressives in business -

Air America - flop Rush has been on the air 20 some yrs now
Hillary's book is discounted up to 50% right before going on sale, her last book was a flop

Conservative books sell better than liberal books. Why?

Posted by Ezra Klein on August 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The fine folks at Amazon have constructed a “heat map” showing the kinds of political books that people are buying across the country. The more conservative a state’s literary tastes, the more red it appears on the map. The more liberal the reading habits, the bluer the state gets. Here’s the result:

Conservative authors are selling more books. That’s true in Mississippi, but it’s also true in Connecticut. And it looks like Amazon’s methodology is, if anything, understating matters. They count Jonathan Haidt’s “The Righteous Mind” as a “blue book.” I’ve read “The Righteous Mind,” and it is, if anything, a scolding of liberals. They also count “Globalization: A Very Short Introduction” and Robert Caro’s most recenet biography of LBJ as blue books, which seems odd. None of the top 20 “red books” struck me as similarly misplaced. So if you correct for the outliers, the map would be even redder.

Some possible explanations:

1. Conservatives are more likely to read political books than liberals are.

2. Conservatives are more likely to read partisan political books than liberals are.

3. Conservatives are better at writing political books that people want to read than liberals are.

<snip>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ive-books-sell-better-than-liberal-books-why/

According to the map there are only 3 states where "blue" reading outpaces "red" reading- plus D.C. And only one state is deep blue- and D.C.

Wishbone

Some possible explanations:

1. Conservatives are more likely to read political books than liberals are.

2. Conservatives are more likely to read partisan political books than liberals are.

3. Conservatives are better at writing political books that people want to read than liberals are.

4. Liberals already know everything. Just ask them.

5. Most of the Liberals voters can't read.

SamSpade

4. Liberals already know everything. Just ask them.

I always liked how Reagan phrased it - "It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”

Plus, I do see from my own experience that a larger portion of conservatives read about and keep up with politics than liberal ones.
Some of my more educated liberal acquaintances may be somewhat informed, but it's not a thing to them.
They don't buy books written by liberal writers, and they don't follow liberal columnists.

Years ago, during the government shutdown in the early 90's, I was glued to C-SPAN for any change in Washington, and it was then I saw the call-ins from the viewing audience.
The more conservative viewers VASTLY outnumbered the liberal ones. It really wasn't long before they began showing two and then three numbers to call, depending on your political viewpoint.
They were trying to BALANCE the show, but the viewership wasn't balanced.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sure many of the one-star "reviews" are from people who didn't even read/listen to the book and just hate Hillary Clinton. They remove non-relevant bad reviews for conservative books, too.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm sure many of the one-star "reviews" are from people who didn't even read/listen to the book and just hate Hillary Clinton. They remove non-relevant bad reviews for conservative books, too.

That sounds like it to me. If the person writing the review shows no record of having bought the book, then I have no heartache with the deleting the review.

SamSpade

They will be at your local Ollie's Outlet in a few weeks for $3.99

I can't figure for the life of me why Hillary actually wanted to write such a whiny tirade.
And even more, what publisher actually WANTED to publish a book that went into the whole thing.

I'm a little weirded out why anyone would take it seriously.

I mean, think of just about ANYONE describing some epic failure of theirs. Maybe some Wall Street tycoon or the coach of the losing Super Bowl team.
And they write a book essentially titled "Why I Lost".
AND THE WHOLE THING isn't, we made bad calls, we weren't aggressive enough or took too few risks or such.
EVERY DAMNED LINE is - they cheated - the refs didn't like us - the fans were mean - TV ads made us look bad - and so on.

And you know what? I would buy the book from the guy who DID succeed - who DID make money in a bear market or who DID win the Super Bowl.
Because if you're the Yankees and you keep losing to the White Sox, I don't want to hear about it.
I want to hear the White Sox tell THEIR story. Who wants to know how to lose?

SamSpade

Same here. Not sure what went wrong...

Mine too, but I've learned sometimes that education smarts and everything else smarts don't always go hand in hand.
I have relatives with multiple advanced degrees - but they also believe in astrology, ghosts and UFOs.
They believe that Bush orchestrated 9/11 and missiles hit the Pentagon.
The Bermuda Triangle, the healing power of pyramids - it goes on. How can smart people also be so - dumb?

I kind of find it baffling because I can have a very engaging discussion that goes all over the place with them - until we hit certain areas, and I usually am looking for a way to end the conversation, because it's just too weird.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't figure for the life of me why Hillary actually wanted to write such a whiny tirade.

How big of a fool would you be willing to make of yourself for a large amount of money?

I'm guessing the publishers were like, "It's Hillary," and figured, if they pumped it enough, hysterically mourning crybabies who were "with her" will buy it. I don't think they realized how badly it would be ridiculed by social media.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm guessing the publishers were like, "It's Hillary," and figured, if they pumped it enough, hysterically mourning crybabies who were "with her" will buy it. I don't think they realized how badly it would be ridiculed by social media.

well 60 million people did Vote for the old crone

SamSpade

How big of a fool would you be willing to make of yourself for a large amount of money?

(shrug)

Her last book - "Stronger Together" - was an utter flop. I am not sure you can even FIND a copy now.
"Hard Choices" - her book before that - was so-so in its success. UNFORTUNATELY, the advance was far more optimistic.

So I am wondering why a publisher would have even bothered. If THIS book tanks, we might see the final chapter on Hillary.

You know, if I were a politician, I'd take a lesson from history and exit gracefully rather than vanish due to irrelevancy.

SamSpade

well 60 million people did Vote for the old crone

Roughly the same number of people went to the polls and they had to pick a President, and for all intents and purposes they had two choices.
(PLEASE don't go into this - we all know one of these two was going to win. A vote for anyone else was making a point, but not changing the reality).

I know that easily half of my vote was to keep her out. I would have voted for Lenin's corpse over Hillary.
From the sound of my relatives, it went the other way as well.
To be fair, most of the more vocal liberals in my family would never ever vote Republican at all, and have imagined all kinds of ridiculous ideas over the decades when it comes to Republicans.
But none of them were ENTHUSIASTIC about Hillary. They may have protested at a Trump rally, but none went to one FOR Hillary.

SamSpade

HAD to think about this one. I suppose it would depend on the kind of embarrassment.

Would I try to dance on TV, or box a boxing pro - for money and my children's financial security? Damned right I would.
Would I sing badly - but to my wife and kids - so they would know I love them and don't care how I look? In a cold second.

Would I risk never being taken seriously again for the rest of my life, knowing I would be recognized everywhere for being a whiny loser?
I might reconsider.