School Warns Students Not To Chant 'USA'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Administrators at a California school are warning students not to chant "USA!" because doing so could be viewed as offensive and intolerant.

Officials at Vista Del Lago High School in Folsom, not far from Sacramento, say the chant is divisive and inappropriate at sporting events.

Said Folsom Cordova Unified Communications Director Daniel Thigpen: “To practice empathy, to practice kindness and to practice patriotism. You can do both.”

School Warns Students Not To Chant 'USA' At Events — Might Be Viewed As Offensive, Intolerant

stgislander

PREMO Member
Kind of an odd chant for high school sporting events. They're usually something more like...

U-G-L-Y... you ain't got no alibi... u ugly, eh hey, u ugly!

SamSpade

Just to play devil's advocate here ---

What would be the reason to chant USA! at a sporting event except to cheer on --

A team of Americans who are playing a team of not-Americans.

And unless it's international competition, I can see how it's easily seen as "us Americans versus you guys from - not-America".

Grumpy

Administrators at a California school are warning students not to chant "USA!" because doing so could be viewed as offensive and intolerant.

So what happens when you tell high schoolers NOT to do something?? :lmao: gawd, these administrators are idiots..

Peepaw95

Just to play devil's advocate here ---

What would be the reason to chant USA! at a sporting event except to cheer on --

A team of Americans who are playing a team of not-Americans.

And unless it's international competition, I can see how it's easily seen as "us Americans versus you guys from - not-America".

I understand your point, but, if you are attending a high school in the United States shouldn't you be an American?