Deuteronomy 32 No Canaan land for you, Moses

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 32:44 Moses came with Joshua[g] son of Nun and spoke all the words of this song in the hearing of the people. 45 When Moses finished reciting all these words to all Israel, 46 he said to them, “Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law. 47 They are not just idle words for you—they are your life. By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess.”

48 On that same day the Lord told Moses, 49 “Go up into the Abarim Range to Mount Nebo in Moab, across from Jericho, and view Canaan, the land I am giving the Israelites as their own possession. 50 There on the mountain that you have climbed you will die and be gathered to your people, just as your brother Aaron died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people. 51 This is because both of you broke faith with me in the presence of the Israelites at the waters of Meribah Kadesh in the Desert of Zin and because you did not uphold my holiness among the Israelites. 52 Therefore, you will see the land only from a distance; you will not enter the land I am giving to the people of Israel.”​

g. Deuteronomy 32:44 Hebrew Hoshea, a variant of Joshua

This is from bibletrack.org.

"Hoshea" in verse 44 is "Joshua." Here's the confirmation: No Canaan land for you, Moses. Of course, he already knew that from Numbers 20:1-13. On that occasion Moses struck the rock with his rod in disobedience to the command of God to just speak to the rock. God told him then that he would not be entering Canaan, so the decree here in verses 50-52 is just a repeat from earlier.

Moses is to be "gathered unto his people," a term reflecting the Hebrews' knowledge of eternal life. Notice the places where this terminology is used in the Pentateuch.

Genesis 25:8 "Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people."
Genesis 25:17 "And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, an hundred and thirty and seven years: and he gave up the ghost and died; and was gathered unto his people."
Genesis 35:29 "And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, being old and full of days: and his sons Esau and Jacob buried him."
Genesis 49:33 "And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people."
Numbers 20:24 "Aaron shall be gathered unto his people: for he shall not enter into the land which I have given unto the children of Israel, because ye rebelled against my word at the water of Meribah."
Numbers 20:26 "And strip Aaron of his garments, and put them upon Eleazar his son: and Aaron shall be gathered unto his people, and shall die there."
Deuteronomy 32:50 "And [Moses] die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people:"​

He does get a view of the place, though, from atop Mount Nebo in the mountain range known as Abarim in Moab. Moses actually had rehearsed this point previously in Deuteronomy 3:23-29.​

One of my daughters doesn't go to church anymore. She made friends with one of the children of one of the leaders of a local church. The child of one of the leaders of a local church told my daughter that unless she memorized all the scriptures in the Bible, she could never be a Christian. I was there when my daughter made a Profession of Faith. I was there when she was accepted into the membership of that local church. I was there when she was Baptized to symbolize her Rebirth. I was heartbroken when I heard she was through with church. She was just a child. I asked her over and over again before she would tell me why.... and then I was heartbroken. I let the church leader know so that he could discuss the issue with his daughter. That way it wouldn't happen again. My daughter is still a Christian.... but she doesn't go to church because she doesn't memorize verses.

Moses has instructed the Israelites to memorize not only the previous verses in Deuteronomy 32, but the rest of the law in the whole Book of Deuteronomy. On top of that.... the Israelites weren't just to memorize it so they could regurgitate the verses in the proper translation to earn their badges and forget it.... they had to memorize it for life.

Of course, they didn't read or write. Kids didn't ride the big yellow school bus to learn to read or write. They heard of God through others who had memorized the words. They didn't have TV evangelists to watch every few days. They had to memorize the words.... and they had to understand and retain the meaning. There were Levites at the Temple but there were no schools and after entering Canaan.... they would not live right around the corner from the Temple. They didn't all load into the family car and ride a few minutes to church with the check for the offering plate in Dad's jacket pocket. They had to pick out the best of their flock, the best of their grain harvest, the best of their olive oil harvest, the best of their wine and they had to walk to the Temple. Sometimes it took days to get there. They had to sew their gold and silver offerings in their clothes because they might be robbed on the way to Temple.

Moses was getting these people [these 2 million + refugees from Egypt enslavement] to live without him. Moses knew he had done wrong. He was responsible for the spiritual life of all those people. They had to understand that God required them to follow His instruction exactly. If Moses had followed the instructions at Meribah Kadesh in the Desert of Zin, he would have been going to Canaan with the family. Instead, Moses allowed the constant complaints of the people he helped God rescue to get to him. He smacked that rock.... and that put him in charge of the water that came out of it. If Moses had done as he was told.... God would have been given all the glory. So the Israelites needed to memorize the law so this kind of thing didn't happen to them.

The view Moses would have seen was much different from what is shown in the video.... the land was lush with wildlife everywhere.... remember, the clusters of grapes that came from this land were so big they had to be carried on a pole between two men.

[video=youtube;V3R1LeiJX6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3R1LeiJX6E[/video]

:coffee:

Last edited: