In 1987, Sanders said Medicaid-for-all would "bankrupt the nation"

Chris0nllyn

As you probably know, Sanders (and 15 Dems), proposed a "plan" (as it's not really a plan, but a fantasy) to essentially provide medicare for all people (aka, single-payer healthcare)

On Wednesday I will introduce the Medicare for All Act in the Senate with 15 co-sponsors and support from dozens of grass-roots organizations. Under this legislation, every family in America would receive comprehensive coverage, and middle-class families would save thousands of dollars a year by eliminating their private insurance costs as we move to a publicly funded program.

The transition to the Medicare for All program would take place over four years. In the first year, benefits to older people would be expanded to include dental care, vision coverage and hearing aids, and the eligibility age for Medicare would be lowered to 55. All children under the age of 18 would also be covered. In the second year, the eligibility age would be lowered to 45 and in the third year to 35. By the fourth year, every man, woman and child in the country would be covered by Medicare for All.

The Urban Institute analyzed his plan and estimated that it would cost $32 Trillion (with a T) over 10 years.
https://www.urban.org/research/publ...expenditures-and-federal-and-private-spending

Of course, one may bring up the point that Sanders was talking about Medicaid in 1987, and talking about Medicare now and that's a fair point, but it should be noted that Medicaid is much less generous than Medicare in terms of less provider networks, less benefits, and pays less to doctors than Medicare (and also costs less to taxpayers per capita).

If anything, it shows Sanders has been at this for 30 years without solving anything.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
But, but - this is MEDICARE, not Medicaid. Medicare is that cadillac program for all those rich people that have their SS benefits confiscated to pay their share, right. Medicaid is for the po folk, whgich would soon be all of us under crazy Bernie.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
:lol:

I know you were being sarcastic, btw.

Hope Irma didn;t get you too bad down there. My family in St. Pete were fine. You ready for week 1(finally)?! Go Bucs!

Just got our power back Thursday evening - four days. Fortunately, we stayed at my daughters house about 8 miles away, and they never lost power. House and cars are all good, but the yard is a mess with tree debris. Just made my fourth trip to the dump with yard waste, and about three more to go! The pool really cooled down, and it is just nice to plop in it again. Going to the game which will be very hot, as usual for September. The Bucs and Dolphins are really screwed with no bye week. That hurts the players.