Why Self-Esteem Is Self-Defeating

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Why Self-Esteem Is Self-Defeating

"Self-esteem actually prevents improvement, because you can only improve if you first acknowledge what you’re not good at."

The whole concept of self-esteem is actually something that can hinder improving yourself. That's what columnist Matt Walsh argues in PragerU's latest video. Self-esteem is a myth since people shouldn't unnecessarily admire themselves.

Walsh recounts that when he was in junior high school, one of his teachers had the class rank their self-esteem on a number system.

"When I asked my teacher why I should have high self-esteem, she said, 'Because you’re special.' When I asked why I was special, she said, 'Because you're you!'" says Walsh. "I found this an odd statement at the time, coming as it was from the woman who'd just given me a D on my last math quiz."

While most of the kids in his class ranked their self-esteem highly, "some of them would grow up to be unemployed alcoholics" and Walsh suggests they still probably consider themselves as having high self-esteem.

This highlights the problem with self-esteem — it results in people having "unearned confidence" in themselves, thus depriving them of the motivation to improve themselves.

Clem72

Is this just another way to say that too much pride and/or vanity is bad? Where have I read that before?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's nothing wrong with having high self-esteem...provided you've done something to earn it. The problem with unearned self-esteem is that you know you don't deserve it and it messes with you - *ahem* Chelsea Clinton. Once you've accomplished something, it boosts your self-esteem and encourages you to achieve other goals; if you get everything you want for free, you doubt your abilities.

Clem72

The problem with unearned self-esteem is that you know you don't deserve it and it messes with you - *ahem* Chelsea Clinton.

Bit of a quibble here, but I view self esteem as how you feel inside about yourself not necessarily how other perceive you. So I would argue there aren't people with high self-esteem that believe/know they don't deserve it.

The problem this article is speaking about is the abundance of people completely oblivious to the fact that they are borderline retarded who feel like they can accomplish anything because they have never been asked to do anything harder than minimally participate.

The good thing is, this doesn't usually survive too long into their first job.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bit of a quibble here, but I view self esteem as how you feel inside about yourself not necessarily how other perceive you. So I would argue there aren't people with high self-esteem that believe/know they don't deserve it.

The problem this article is speaking about is the abundance of people completely oblivious to the fact that they are borderline retarded who feel like they can accomplish anything because they have never been asked to do anything harder than minimally participate.

The good thing is, this doesn't usually survive too long into their first job.

:yay: I was thinking more along the lines of accolades that you don't deserve affecting your flawed self-esteem. Like, you can say, "Gee, I must be great. Look at all the awards I've received." But deep down you know you aren't all that and your adulation is manufactured. Then you become Heath Ledger and one day they find you face down in a puddle of your own puke.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And now that I've posted that, I wonder if that isn't why so many celebrities and entertainers are self-destructive train wrecks? Because they know they don't deserve to be adored on such an enormous level? "The world only loves me because I'm physically attractive and am really good at pretending to be other people. Ugh. :dead:"

Toxick

Splat
Self-esteem - like "diversity" - should not be an end-goal in and of itself.
It is a side-effect that occurs naturally when things are done properly.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
:yay: I was thinking more along the lines of accolades that you don't deserve affecting your flawed self-esteem. Like, you can say, "Gee, I must be great. Look at all the awards I've received." But deep down you know you aren't all that and your adulation is manufactured. Then you become Heath Ledger and one day they find you face down in a puddle of your own puke.
How about being awarded a Nobel prize for your possible future achievements.