I moved from a blue state to a red state and it changed my life

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I moved from a blue state to a red state and it changed my life

Over and over, I was questioned about why I would ever leave the Golden State for a “flyover” red state. This phrase alone troubled me, and the implied perception that one flies over the Midwest just to get to their East or West coast home.

As I settled into life in the Midwest, I heard the same assumptive questions: “Did everyone you know vote for Donald Trump?" "Are there African-American, Jewish, Asian, LGBTQ people in Indiana?" "Do people make fun of you for listening to National Public Radio?”

Never does one ask about Indiana’s history as a blue state (Indiana cast its electoral votes blue for President Barack Obama in 2008). Never does one ask how the Indiana public schools provide many opportunities that have been cut from California’s public schools because of one budget crisis after another. Never does one ask about the low cost of living that is allowing us to pay off the mountain of debt we accrued in California. And never does one ask about my fellow community members, who are running successful businesses, enriching the city's arts and making a difference for the local environment.

As I got to know my new Midwest home, I realize how living in a bubble and subscribing to the Middle America stereotypes is truly damaging to this country.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Problem:

Midwesterners don't want Cali fruits and nuts invading their cities and towns. The Des Moines hipsters sneer hard at the pseudo-elites in LA - it was a recurring theme when we were there. Same in Austin: most of their "weirdos" are transplants who don't advertise too much because they don't want the emo wannabes taking over their city and turning it into what they left. Lincoln, NE does not want you bringing your progbot crap to their city - they have enough of their own progs to worry about.

Oh, and PS? They don't want you moving there to turn their blue state red, which is what the author of this piece appears to be encouraging.

black dog

Free America
Terre Haute and Bloomington are Indianas disappointment like Austin is to Texas.

Terre Haute's city planners have shown an unparalleled dedication to sh!ttiness. It was sheer craptastic genius, to have a paper mill, and railroad tie creasote pressure treating plant and a large sewage treatment plant located slightly upwind of the downtown district. As if this weren't sufficiently brilliant, they have figured out a way to make the smells alternate by block (raw sewage/paper mill stench/creasote...) as you travel on the major north-south thoroughfare. I think that this feat of fecal engineering will be studied for years to come.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Problem:

Midwesterners don't want Cali fruits and nuts invading their cities and towns.

Multiple Cites in Wyoming have been ruined because of this ... Jackson Hole in particular

Progressive Leaning Doctors and Lawyers flee the mess they voted for in California - they take their problems with them
suddenly 'local' schools aren't good enough - so progs start raising TAXES ...
now exceptions have to be granted because locals are going to lose the 3 /4 generation family Ranch / Farm

Study shows Jackson has the nation's widest gap between rich and poor

The town has attracted national attention for a housing crisis that has led to some tourist industry workers piling into cramped apartments, sleeping in hallways and erecting tents in living rooms. And with the difference between the rich and non-rich in Jackson reaching an extreme in 2016 there is little evidence that 2017 will be different.

“The problem is those whose livelihood is not connected to the local economy vastly outstrips the incomes of those whose income are related to the local economy,” said Jonathan Schechter, director of the Charture Institute think tank in Jackson.

Schechter said high-paid professionals in finance or technology may have the luxury of working from anywhere in the world, and given Jackson’s natural beauty and enjoyable lifestyle many relocate to the area.

“There’s no way a T-shirt salesman can out-compete a bonds salesman in New York who’s working remotely,” Schechter said.

apparently Jackson Hole's Progressive Mayor has issues with Trump .... and the local GOP Called him on it

…and the mailbag bursts. Fallout from ‘Portraitgate’

JACKSON HOLE, WYO – Mayor Pete Muldoon’s decision to remove President Trump’s portrait from Town Hall and replace it with one of Chief Washakie has certainly elicited an enormous amount of commentary in its wake.

In an effort to put a “finger on the pulse” of the feedback, Buckrail has made the decision to publish all of the email correspondence received by town electeds to this point. In light of “reports” that the mayor is receiving death threats, and the town is being flooded with phones calls, particularly those claiming they have or will cancel their travel plans to Jackson, we thought it prudent to list every email received by the town council or mayor.

Chris0nllyn

Terre Haute and Bloomington are Indianas disappointment like Austin is to Texas.

Terre Haute's city planners have shown an unparalleled dedication to sh!ttiness. It was sheer craptastic genius, to have a paper mill, and railroad tie creasote pressure treating plant and a large sewage treatment plant located slightly upwind of the downtown district. As if this weren't sufficiently brilliant, they have figured out a way to make the smells alternate by block (raw sewage/paper mill stench/creasote...) as you travel on the major north-south thoroughfare. I think that this feat of fecal engineering will be studied for years to come.

Luckily for Terre Haute, the paper mill shut down 10 years ago, the creosote plant shut down 7 years ago, and odor control was added to the WWTP 5 years ago.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Study shows Jackson has the nation's widest gap between rich and poor

In Jackson you either have a #### ton of money or you live in a ratty motel. The one other alternative is that you are in the service industry and you share a 2 BR apartment with 6 other people because everyone sleeps in shifts.

black dog

Free America
Luckily for Terre Haute, the paper mill shut down 10 years ago, the creosote plant shut down 7 years ago, and odor control was added to the WWTP 5 years ago.

Good, You forgot to mention how long the good city paid a daily epa fine for the stench that rolled out of the " modern " treatment plant before it was hopefully brought under control... Let's say 20+ - years.. That plant was obsolete before it was even finished.

it's been at least 10 years since I've been there, and when I left that $hithole I didn't leave anything of mine behind. So odds are it will be at least another 10 before I go back.. it's just like the other city's in Indiana, full of poverty and dispare.
I went to the golf driving range over on that side of town once while working there,

black dog

Free America
Most of the ski resorts are the same in Colorado, Aspen, Vale, Copper and Breckenridge have gone the same way.