Cop detains 14 year old autistic boy he thought was on drugs

Chris0nllyn

The footage, which the family attorney posted on YouTube on Sunday, shows an officer exiting his vehicle to approach the boy near Verrado Town Square and ask him what he's doing. The boy says he's "stimming" and holds up a piece of string.

The officer asks if the boy has an ID on him, the boy says no and turns to walk away.

Officer David Grossman, who is trained in drug recognition, was the officer involved in the detainment, according to Buckeye police, which released the video Monday.

In his police report about the July 19 incident, Grossman said he believed the teen was using an inhalant drug.

The Buckeye Police Department said Monday his response was a reasonable suspicion based on Grossman's training and expertise.

She said the department is planning to start a voluntary database where anyone in the community who has a a condition that police may not be familiar with can provide their photo along with some information and any triggers they may have. This information will appear if police run the individual's name.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tistic-teen-he-thought-using-drugs/679282001/

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
ah yes, more clairvoyant Drug Recognition Police

She said the department is planning to start a voluntary database where anyone in the community who has a a condition that police may not be familiar with can provide their photo along with some information and any triggers they may have. This information will appear if police run the individual's name.

:bs: just what the community needs ANOTHER Police Data Base

The Buckeye Police Department said Monday his response was a reasonable suspicion based on Grossman's training and expertise.

I call :bs: on the cops training as well

stgislander

PREMO Member
At first glance, if this database keeps an autistic kid from getting arrested or shot then that's a good thing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Let's say that database was there. How would this cop know the kid had autism without knowing who he is?

indeed without his gov papers the teen could say he was anyone

oh wait - lets 'microchip' the mentally incompetent :sarcasm:

frankly I think the police should be concerned with other things than - Oooo I think that teen is high

Chris0nllyn

You're a glass half empty person aren't you?

No.

The story said:

That's not going to help anyone police approach whom they believe is on drugs. They didn't run this kid's name before hopping out of his car.

If the officer doesn't know this, and that someone resists to the point the officer feels threatened and the officer shoots, how would that database help?

inkah

frankly I think the police should be concerned with other things than - Oooo I think that teen is high

Really? Have you SEEN the stats on overdoses and drug deaths lately? Seems to me we ought to have more of this. Not just police, but the entire community. Pay attention. Do something. Save a life.

stgislander

PREMO Member
No.

The story said:

That's not going to help anyone police approach whom they believe is on drugs. They didn't run this kid's name before hopping out of his car.

If the officer doesn't know this, and that someone resists to the point the officer feels threatened and the officer shoots, how would that database help?

I understand you are saying that this database will not help anything. Look, I'm not a cop jock sniffer. But I'm giving the PD the benefit of the doubt that officers can be trained to handle these situations and the database can be used to keep an autistic kid from being killed.

Chris0nllyn

I understand you are saying that this database will not help anything. Look, I'm not a cop jock sniffer. But I'm giving the PD the benefit of the doubt that officers can be trained to handle these situations and the database can be used to keep an autistic kid from being killed.

Training seems to be the answer behind any of these sort of incidents. I'd prefer police stop people that are actually breaking the law, but I understand that's easier said than done.

Wouldn't the photograph be helpful?

Sure, but it wouldn't pop up until after the officer got the kid's name, according to the article anyway.

It's not doing or solving anything. It's a feel-good measure and likely something no one will maintain. It won't stop an officer from doing what happened here.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Really? Have you SEEN the stats on overdoses and drug deaths lately? Seems to me we ought to have more of this. Not just police, but the entire community. Pay attention. Do something. Save a life.

:shrug:

not my business what someone does with their life ...
wanna smoke dope, stick a needle in your arm, huff propane ...

enjoy yourself

[I'm tired of EMS saving people to selfish / stupid to save themselves]

black dog

Free America
Wouldn't the photograph be helpful?

images (11).jpg

black dog

Free America
:shrug:

not my business what someone does with their life ...
wanna smoke dope, stick a needle in your arm, huff propane ...

enjoy yourself

[I'm tired of EMS saving people to selfish / stupid to save themselves]

Yep... If folks would just leave the folks that make poor life's choices alone, those bad choices would be self cleaning on their own.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Cop detains 14 year old autistic boy he thought was on drugs

Well, at least he didn't "thought" he had a gun. Or in the case of this Prince William, Va. 15 year old, have a crowbar. But of course they investigated themselves and it was found to be justified. Now mamas today should make sure their boys grow up to distrust any law enforcer. As they cannot be trusted. Though there are those that can be trusted in the mix of them, do you really want them to take that chance?