Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Neil deGrasse Tyson: Lincoln Was Pro-Science Back in... 1963?

  1. #1
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    32,722

    Neil deGrasse Tyson: Lincoln Was Pro-Science Back in... 1963?

    Celebrity scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson appeared on CNN, Sunday, to lecture those he deemed too stupid to accept the linkage of climate change to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Proving he should stick to science on TV, deGrasse pompously botched history: “Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, signed into law in 1963 — a year when he had important things to be thinking about — the National Academy of Sciences.”

    Of course, Lincoln had been dead for 98 years in 1963. (The bill creating the National Academy of Science was signed by Lincoln on March 3, 1863.) Tyson added, “Because he knew that science mattered and should matter in governance.” History and getting your dates right also matter.

    Later, Tyson offered the ultimate doom and gloom on climate change: “I worry that we might not be able to recover from this because all our greatest cities are on the oceans and water's edges, historically, for commerce and transportation.”

    The celebrity scientist flat-out linked the hurricanes to climate change:

    I think this 50 inches of — I can't even picture -- how many rain drops was that? Fifty inches of rain in Houston, this is — this is a shot across our bow. A hurricane the width of Florida, going up the center of Florida — these are shots across our bow.

    What — what will it take for people to recognize that a community of scientists are learning objective truths about the natural world and that you can benefit from knowing about it?


    CNN Howler: Abraham Lincoln Was Pro-Science Back in... 1963?
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  2. #2
    Way past his 15 minutes.

  3. #3
    hate the dude, he took away Pluto



    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Celebrity scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson appeared on CNN, Sunday, to lecture those he deemed too stupid to accept the linkage of climate change to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Proving he should stick to science on TV, deGrasse pompously botched history: “Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, signed into law in 1963 — a year when he had important things to be thinking about — the National Academy of Sciences.”

    Of course, Lincoln had been dead for 98 years in 1963. (The bill creating the National Academy of Science was signed by Lincoln on March 3, 1863.) Tyson added, “Because he knew that science mattered and should matter in governance.” History and getting your dates right also matter.

    Later, Tyson offered the ultimate doom and gloom on climate change: “I worry that we might not be able to recover from this because all our greatest cities are on the oceans and water's edges, historically, for commerce and transportation.”

    The celebrity scientist flat-out linked the hurricanes to climate change:

    I think this 50 inches of — I can't even picture -- how many rain drops was that? Fifty inches of rain in Houston, this is — this is a shot across our bow. A hurricane the width of Florida, going up the center of Florida — these are shots across our bow.

    What — what will it take for people to recognize that a community of scientists are learning objective truths about the natural world and that you can benefit from knowing about it?


    CNN Howler: Abraham Lincoln Was Pro-Science Back in... 1963?
    "IYAOYAS" and a Proud Deplorable

  4. #4
    He's just another fraud; looking out for fellow frauds who feed only on the AGW government-funded "research" tests.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    He's just another fraud


    Dripping with irony...
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post


    Dripping with irony...
    Rent. Free.

    I can't wait until my Pantera is photo-worthy. You'll like it even more than all the other stuff.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 09-20-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Rent. Free.
    You can't even pony up the dough to recover your manhood. How can I expect rent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    You can't even pony up the dough to recover your manhood. How can I expect rent?
    Or my 1959 TR3.

    Or either of the early Broncos I'm currently building/restoring (1969 retro and 1976 street/trail)

    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  9. #9
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    32,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Rent. Free.

    I can't wait until my Pantera is photo-worthy.

    have you FINALLY Gotten around to finishing that project
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    have you FINALLY Gotten around to finishing that project
    Which one? I've always got too danged many going at the same time. Several, including the Pantera, are sort of "on hold" because I got tired of trying to do body and paint work in the machine and welding shop area. Makes a terrible mess. We're currently adding a 20 x 54 addition to the backside of the main shop building you've been to, solely for body and paint work, complete with a professional-grade air-filtered paint booth (even though I'm far from a pro at spray painting...I'll bring in some outside talent for the final paint) . Has it's own separate garage door entrance too...no way to get paint and body mess in the main shop.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Members who have read this thread: 28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |