Deuteronomy 34 Moses passes and Joshua takes over

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 34:1 Then Moses climbed Mount Nebo from the plains of Moab to the top of Pisgah, across from Jericho. There the Lord showed him the whole land—from Gilead to Dan, 2 all of Naphtali, the territory of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the Mediterranean Sea, 3 the Negev and the whole region from the Valley of Jericho, the City of Palms, as far as Zoar. 4 Then the Lord said to him, “This is the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when I said, ‘I will give it to your descendants.’ I have let you see it with your eyes, but you will not cross over into it.”

5 And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said. 6 He buried him[a] in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is. 7 Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. 8 The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over.

9 Now Joshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit(b) of wisdom because Moses had laid his hands on him. So the Israelites listened to him and did what the Lord had commanded Moses.

10 Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, 11 who did all those signs and wonders the Lord sent him to do in Egypt—to Pharaoh and to all his officials and to his whole land. 12 For no one has ever shown the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.​

a. Deuteronomy 34:6 Or He was buried
b. Deuteronomy 34:9 Or Spirit

This is from the easy English site.

This gives the story of Moses’ death. He climbed the mountain range of Nebo to the top of Mount Pisgah. It was 2740 feet high. From that mountain, Moses saw the Jordan valley up to Mount Hermon. That was 120 miles to the north. He saw all the country to the west, towards the Mediterranean Sea. He saw also the rich plain of Jericho. There were many trees called palm trees there. Palm trees do not have branches but they have large leaves at their top. Then Moses died there.

Nobody marked Moses’ grave with a stone. The reason for that was probably so that nobody would worship his dead body. He did not die because he was old. His eye-sight and strength were still good. However, he had finished his work. The people wept for 30 days because Moses had died. John describes the death of Jesus in his book. (See John 19:30.) ‘Jesus said, “I have finished (my work).” When Jesus said that, he let his spirit go.’

Moses had put his hands on Joshua. That was the way that Moses appointed Joshua as the next leader. Joshua received the gift of wisdom. Moses was the greatest of all the prophets in Israel. God told more to him than to anyone else. The LORD knew Moses ‘face to face’. That means that he spoke with Moses in a personal way. The great sign and the very wonderful act in the Old Testament was when God rescued the Israelites from Egypt. Moses did not bring the people into the country that God had promised to them. All the prophets reminded the people that God had spoken by Moses. Moses formed the nation of the Jews. When Moses died, God himself buried Moses in Moab. Moses’ period of government had ended. Later, Moses appeared with Elijah on the mountain with Jesus. (See Matthew 17:3.)​

Moses hiked 2,740 feet. That's about half a mile and it wasn't and easy slight slope. Sure, they were healthier then. They were use to those hikes.... but he's an old man.... well over 100 years old.

[video=youtube;zpQyvX_qfRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQyvX_qfRw[/video]

:coffee: