GOP's next health care plan

Chris0nllyn

Dubbed the "Graham-Cassidy Bill" would essentially repeal the individual mandate and replace that with state-run block grants. Not clear if it has enough momentum to pass just yet.

The Senate has until Sept. 30 to get their #### together. After that, the procedure that allows them to pass any health care bill with a majority goes away. Less than 2 weeks to "repeal and replace".

Some of the typical names are holding out (Collins, Murkowski) due to concerns about revamping Medicare to block grants. Others say that if this new bill doesn't defund Planned Parenthood and prevent subsidies from covering abortions, they won't vote yes. Others have concern that repealing Obamacare would actually lead to Democratic states developing a single-payer system with the grant money because this repeal would give states more flexibility to do what they want with the money. (Sorta funny repealing Obamacare would lead to single-payer)

McCain said he wants this to go through the Senate like all other bills. Debate, amendments, etc. but given they have less than 2 weeks, who knows how that'll work.

The CBO says they won't be able to score it until next months.

The only sensible Republican that ran for President last election, Rand Paul, had an opinion piece on Fox News:
In all ways, this bill is also ObamaCare Lite. In no way is it repeal the way we promised. I will oppose this bill as I did the other fake repeal bills, and I urge those who want repeal to do so, as well.

Graham/Cassidy doesn’t repeal a single ObamaCare insurance regulation. All of the Title 1 rules, the Essential Health Benefit rules, all of them - they’re still in place here.

This bill is also set to spend us further into debt. Even the bill’s authors and proponents, using what I’m sure are rosy numbers, admit that their ObamaCare Lite bill will spend 90 percent of what we currently spend on ObamaCare. Other estimates are closer to 95 percent. Either way, did anyone go out to vote so we could repeal only 5 or 10 percent of ObamaCare? I didn’t.

Graham/Cassidy won’t fix our health care problems, and it will become a permanent drain on the treasury - one that is already $20 trillion in debt, with a $700 billion deficit next year.

Graham/Cassidy keeps a trillion dollars in taxes and spending and redistributes it. And, somehow, people are looking to call this “federalism.” I wish it were, but that’s just not the case.

Their sales pitch is, “If you like your ObamaCare, you can keep it.” That’s nice, but I don’t like it, I don’t want to keep it, and I don’t want to keep paying for it. So how about we all keep our word and get rid of it?

To my colleagues, I say, “No thanks.” This bill is no better than the last attempt and should receive no more support. It should not pass. I’ll vote no, and I’ll fight to stop the newest ObamaCare Lite plan.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017...-does-not-repeal-obamacare-and-oppose-it.html

glhs837

Power with Control
Where the heck is cross state competition? We have what, two companies offering private insurance here?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It seems like every proposal coming up to "fix" the mess that Obamacare made so much worse, simply involves throwing tons of taxpayer money at the providers and insurance companies.

Stupid.

Wishbone

Nobody wants to face it but Obama, Reid and Pelosi knew what the outcome of this travesty was when they created it.

The GOP cannot un#### this.

Single payer is coming your way.

stgislander

PREMO Member
What does unf##king Obamacare look like? Is it just repealing it? We've just learned that there is no political will for that.

What does it look like? Anybody?

Wishbone

What does unf##king Obamacare look like? Is it just repealing it? We've just learned that there is no political will for that.

What does it look like? Anybody?

Un####ing it would be getting rid of it altogether and getting government the #### out of the healthcare system.

But just like roaches... Once they're in, they're staying in.

glhs837

Power with Control
I love that one....... back when you could get the original series on Blu-Ray from BlockBuster through the mail, the kids and I watched a bunch Had both original graphics and enhanced remastered ones. Let me tell, the bridge came across pretty sad in HD. Those cool displays around the perimeter of the bridge near Uhura and Spock look much more like the shoddy crap they were :) Kids fell in love with Spocks "PAIN, ENDLESS PAIN!!!!!!!!!!" and Kirks needless dive rolls :) And the Yoeman who evidently was doing far more than just fetching Kirks coffee ;) They made it quite clear she was far more Lewinsky than I ever thought when I was young :)

stgislander

PREMO Member
And the Yoeman who evidently was doing far more than just fetching Kirks coffee ;) They made it quite clear she was far more Lewinsky than I ever thought when I was young :)

Ahhh... Yeoman Janice Rand (Grace Lee Whitney)!!! It's good to be Captain.

SamSpade

They made it quite clear she was far more Lewinsky than I ever thought when I was young :)

If you're a Trekkie you also know that she got canned very early in the first season.

Presumably the rationale was, if you've got Captain Casanova romancing alien women all over the galaxy, you probably can't play the sexual tension card on the Enterprise to much effect.

SamSpade

Dubbed the "Graham-Cassidy Bill" would essentially repeal the individual mandate and replace that with state-run block grants. Not clear if it has enough momentum to pass just yet.

The one thing about it is, it's the closest thing that's likely to gain even one Democratic vote.
In the real world where you have to craft bills that both sides can at least partially agree to.

Rand Paul is right on his points, but we can no longer afford a Washington environment that steamrolls bills in over the opposition without so much as a single vote.
We've had too much of one party running over the other until the power shifts again and everything previously done gets unraveled and sent in the opposite direction.

This might not be the solution promised, but the potential is there to see what kind of health care each state can create and see what works and what doesn't.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This might not be the solution promised, but the potential is there to see what kind of health care each state can create and see what works and what doesn't.

I heard Scott Walker on the snews this morning bragging about how well Wisconsin is doing providing safety net health care and affordable access to insurance, despite not accepting the large medicaid increase that other states agreed to in adopting Barrycare....