Joshua 1 Be brave and courageous

seekeroftruth

Joshua 1:1 After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west. 5 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.

7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”​

Well, lets go to the easy English site.

Moses had died. Moses had to die before Joshua and the Israelites could go into the promised land. (God had told Moses that Moses would not enter the promised land. This was because he had not obeyed God. See Numbers 20:1-13.) The Israelites had to enter the promised land to know completely the goodness of God.

The death of Moses is like a picture that shows new opportunities. Until now, Joshua had only been a helper. He was the assistant to Moses. Now he had new responsibilities. It was important that he accepted these responsibilities. God’s work could not continue until Joshua accepted his new responsibilities. God could not bless his people until Joshua led them into the promised land. God brought them out to bring them in.

Verses 1-9 God gave Joshua three things to do.
  • To lead the people into the promised land – verse 2. God had promised this country to Abraham (Genesis 12:1; 15:7). Jesus was born in this country.
  • To defeat the enemies that lived in the country – verse 5.
  • To believe that God would do good things for the Israelites - verses 3, 7, 9.

God also gave Joshua a promise for each of these instructions.
  • ‘You, the Israelites, will go into the land that I intend to give you’ – verse 2.
  • ‘No one can stop you from taking this land as long as you live’ – verse 5.
  • ‘You will win, everywhere that you go’ – verse 7.

God had been with Moses. Now God promised Joshua that he would be with Joshua also. Before Joshua set out to attack Jericho, God appeared to Joshua to encourage him.

Before Joshua could lead his people, he, too, had to put his faith into action. He had to be strong and not be afraid. God had to work by him, not just for him. He could not do nothing and watch God do it all.

Joshua only had the first five books of the Bible as God’s law. Moses had written these. They were a guide for the people. It was important to remember them and to repeat them (see Deuteronomy 6:1-9). Joshua could also remember things that Moses had said.

The first time I notice Joshua was back in Numbers 13. His name was changed from Hoshea son of Nun to Joshua. It was Joshua and Caleb that got all excited about Canaan. It was Joshua and Caleb who had the faith to see themselves living there.

Joshua knew God would take care of the details.

:coffee:

DEEKAYPEE8569

The first time I notice Joshua was back in Numbers 13. His name was changed from Hoshea son of Nun to Joshua. It was Joshua and Caleb that got all excited about Canaan. It was Joshua and Caleb who had the faith to see themselves living there.

Joshua knew God would take care of the details.

:coffee:
Also, "Brave" and "Courageous" are synonyms. Almost like saying 'frozen ice' Just sayin'.....