Obama's promises for presidential center may not be enough this time for African-Americans

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A nasty fight over a community benefits agreement with the Obama Foundation has exposed an unexpected rift between the former president and some of the South Side residents who helped lift him to prominence.

Not everyone on the South Side, it seems, thinks Obama did enough for black folks during his eight years as president. And as he prepares to build a presidential center that will pay tribute to his legacy, some South Siders are calling him out for what they consider broken promises.

Obama consistently has asked residents to trust that he will do right by them. The presidential center, he insists, will provide a wealth of opportunities specifically designed to meet the needs of Chicagoans who have long been overlooked.

But this time, according to one activist, there will be no "Amen, kiss the ring."

Obama opened the door to the backlash when he appeared on a video at the foundation's first public meeting last week and said flat-out that there would be no community benefits agreement.

Such a legal document, he said, would force the foundation to side with certain activist groups and leave others out. And, he added, it would open the door for other groups to step up and start making demands.

Obama's promises for presidential center may not be enough this time for African-Americans

littlelady

God bless the USA
I see that many did not get the 'hope for change' that they thought they would. The design of Obama's building has a familiar African/Kenyan look. Just sayin'. And, I see from this article that there is still 'hope' for people to 'change', and come to their senses. I would miss a lot of current news, if others didn't post. Thanks.

Hijinx

I am sure Obama will help these Chicago residents.
i foresee classes in loading your own ammunition and gunsmithing.
Lessons in seeking out Food Stamps.
Lessons on how to get Social Security disability.
A short course on how to pick the most reasonable funeral home for your loved ones who got killed.
How to get into a college as a foreign aid student.
Building your own molotov cocktails and how to get an assurance that an ambulance will give you a free ride to the clinic for your meds.