If you can't pay employees a living wage, you don't deserve to be in business

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
La Colombe founder: If you can't pay employees a living wage, you don't deserve to be in business | Perspective

I am living, breathing, profitable proof that raising the minimum wage is good for business and workers.

Our workforce, profitable companies, and consumers as a whole need a minimum-wage raise. If even profitable, growing concerns like a coffee-roasting company can do it, so can others. I’ll go even further and say that unless you pay your employees a nonpredatory living wage that keeps people and their families above the poverty line, you don’t deserve to be in business. And you certainly don’t deserve a tax break for creating predatory-pay “jobs.”

Companies paying $7.25 an hour are cutting corners on human input. They are cheating the consumer by providing inferior services and products, and leaving their businesses weaker, if not anemic and dangerously exposed to competition. Corporations that provide the best services and products are the ones that succeed. The ones that race to the bottom will ultimately lose the race because there will always be someone willing to do it cheaper, or more sloppily, or with fewer quality controls.

Successful businesses evolve. They continually ask themselves what adjustments can be made to reach specific goals. Rather than laying the burden of the business on the shoulder of predatory pay, they make model adjustments, and continue to put the employee at the center of the company. In exchange, they earn employee loyalty and a happier company, which creates a better customer experience, better products, better culture, and brand. And, ultimately, a healthier, more profitable and faster-growing company. These sorts of companies flourish, directly contradicting the notion that fair pay is bad for business and bad for America.

Weems

I was hoping to read the sentence where he mentions just how much he does pay his employees. Curiously, I never found it.

What is a "living wage" anyway? Is that like a "fair share' or "fully funding" schools or police?

black dog

Free America
It is interesting that he doesn't post what he pays his workers.
To me as a employer a living wage would be that a single parent can work 40 to 50 hours a week at work and live a reasonable lifestyle and not struggle to just get through until the next paycheck. I dread if the few that work for me would not talk to me before going to a buy-here pay-here car lot for a new to them hooptie or start going to the Advance check cashing store in town and start that never ending saga of paying back 250 bucks at 40 a week for a year.
I have one man that bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty that's clean with well over 100,000 miles from a local buy-here pay-here. he put 2 thousand down and pays 189.00 twice a month for 60 months. he could have bought a new one for that.

its disappointing that so many folks here just settle for minimum wage jobs and stay there for decades here where I live, The local Pizza King has 2 girls that have been there working behind the counter since high school better than 25 years at minimum wage, The McDonalds is worse. We have factory's within 10 miles that pay 12 to 19 dollars a hour for line workers. They never buy a car, still live with mom or dad and have no desire to get some education to better there job skills.

This_person

To me it just looks like he is explaining exactly how it is supposed to work in a free market - if the companies are"providing inferior services and products, and leaving their businesses weaker, if not anemic and dangerously exposed to competition," then they will fail. That's how a free market works.

He is more than allowed to raise his pay to his employees as he feels fit. Others should be able to pay as they see fit. A national minimum wage is stupid, because the cost of living is far different in Little Fork, IA and NYC. The minimum wage should be what workers can expect from a company who provides minimum expectations on the employees, and go up from there. If you can provide little value to the organization, you should get paid little. So long as no one is holding a gun to your head to keep you working and denying you the ability to quit, I think you're there by choice.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
at the end of the day are you running a for profit business or a Sudo Non Gov Welfare Agency ....

you pay what your employees are willing to work for ... [or should without Gov. interference]

Wishbone

its disappointing that so many folks here just settle for minimum wage jobs and stay there for decades here where I live, The local Pizza King has 2 girls that have been there working behind the counter since high school better than 25 years at minimum wage, The McDonalds is worse. We have factory's within 10 miles that pay 12 to 19 dollars a hour for line workers. They never buy a car, still live with mom or dad and have no desire to get some education to better there job skills.

These are the same types that will be in line for Larrys "Money for Nothing" program, if it comes to fruition.

Hijinx

If a person works for the same company for 25 years and still gets minimum age why blame the company?