Joshua 3 A second dry crossing

seekeroftruth

Joshua 3:7 And the Lord said to Joshua, “Today I will begin to exalt you in the eyes of all Israel, so they may know that I am with you as I was with Moses. 8 Tell the priests who carry the ark of the covenant: ‘When you reach the edge of the Jordan’s waters, go and stand in the river.’”

9 Joshua said to the Israelites, “Come here and listen to the words of the Lord your God. 10 This is how you will know that the living God is among you and that he will certainly drive out before you the Canaanites, Hittites, Hivites, Perizzites, Girga####es, Amorites and Jebusites. 11 See, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth will go into the Jordan ahead of you. 12 Now then, choose twelve men from the tribes of Israel, one from each tribe. 13 And as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the Lord—the Lord of all the earth—set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap.”

14 So when the people broke camp to cross the Jordan, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant went ahead of them. 15 Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water’s edge, 16 the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap a great distance away, at a town called Adam in the vicinity of Zarethan, while the water flowing down to the Sea of the Arabah (that is, the Dead Sea) was completely cut off. So the people crossed over opposite Jericho. 17 The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord stopped in the middle of the Jordan and stood on dry ground, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground.​

Twice.... God held back the water twice! The first time was when they left Egypt about forty years earlier... and now God did it again.... and the water was at flood state according to verse 15. Wow! Twice! [I genuinely missed this the first two times through].

This is from the Bible.org site.

Though the place named “Adam” is found only here it is usually identified with Tell ed-Damiyeh, about 16 miles north of the ford opposite Jericho. A wide stretch of riverbed therefore was dried up, allowing the people with their animals and baggage to hurry across.​

second water.jpg

I found this at BibleWalks.com.

The crossing at the Adam bridge started in prehistoric times, and was a major ancient trade route. A mountain pass exists on the west side of the bridge (along the Tirzah creek, connecting to the region of Efraim) and on the eastern side of the bridge (along the Yabbok/Zarka river, connecting to the Gilad in Jordan). This made the crossing at this location most convenient, and was in use for many millenniums until modern times.

The Bible describes the location of the crossing by the Israelites, led by Joshua, as passing at Adam (Joshua 3: 16): "That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam...". An ancient city is indeed located here, and called Tell Adam.

So.... even though it doesn't say they walked across on dry land.... they did witness a miracle.

:coffee: