Thread: Kimmel nightly monologues were crafted in part by Sen. Chuck Schumer's office.

Kimmel nightly monologues were crafted in part by Sen. Chuck Schumer's office.

SICK: Late Night Host Jimmy Kimmel Got Health Care Help From Senate Dems
    Comedian's nightly monologues were crafted in part by Sen. Chuck Schumer's office.

Comedian and late night television host, Jimmy Kimmel, made a huge splash last week when he implored Congress to drop proposed changes to the Affordable Care Act, using a personal story about his newborn son's open heart surgery.

But Kimmel's story had logical flaws — namely, that no newborn would be denied critical care under the bill, only who would pay would change — and now, it's no surprise why: Kimmel's writers got an assist from Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer's office.

[clip]

That's all well and good, but Kimmel's story became unassailable, even as his argument's quickly unraveled. Daily Wire Editor-in-Chief Ben Shapiro told an identical story — Shapiro's daughter had the same surgery, at the same hospital, with the same care team — but noted that the medical center was a charitable operation, and those who can't pay for their baby's emergency care aren't turned away, with their children left to die.

Similarly, conservatives took to Twitter to complain that Kimmel, whose net worth hovers around $35 million, would be more than able to afford the best care possible for his children, even in a fully single-payer society. But as the comedian enjoyed his health care perks, the masses would be left to struggle with the remnants of Obamacare, where if you aren't able to find employer-provided coverage, and don't qualify for subsidies, the "insurance" is bare-bones, and often incredibly expensive.

The only "gold" plans left in Illinois, for example, can run families a thousand dollars a month in premiums — with a $12,000 to $14,000 deductible, and a comparable out of pocket limit; having a sick child like Kimmel's under Obamacare could wipe a family out.
    Last edited by GURPS; 09-25-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Blog Entries
    Is anyone surprised by this?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Is anyone surprised by this?
    They've always relied on centralized coordination of their talking points.

I've never watched his show. Figured I wasn't missing much.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I've never watched his show. Figured I wasn't missing much.

I'm in bed by 9
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Members who have read this thread: 37