We need to pick crabs

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ideally today. Where's a good place other than Seabreeze (which is our go-to)? Also needs to be open on Monday.

TIA

lovinmaryland

I've always had the best luck at Captain Johns. They always come out hot, fresh, and full. Definitely steer clear of Captain Billys.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good time to get that urge...the crabs coming out of the river up near 301 bridge last week were huge..weren't fitting more than 4 dozen in a bushel and catching lots of them too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good time to get that urge...the crabs coming out of the river up near 301 bridge last week were huge..weren't fitting more than 4 dozen in a bushel and catching lots of them too.

I'm a fan of late crabs. Those little puny ones are annoying.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm a fan of late crabs. Those little puny ones are annoying.

:yay: They've been remarkable all year, in fact..an amazing season except for a short break in the catch action a few weeks back. But now..holy crap they are even bigger. I've got one of those bushels coming this week so I can cook 'em and make up my annual batch of cakes.

lovinmaryland

That's a shame...but not the first time I've heard it said. That was such a great place 30 years ago.

Friends invited us for dinner there last year... hadn't been in a looong time and another friend told me that their crabs aren't steamed fresh to order and that they often reheat their crabs, so when we sat down our waitress asked if we were ordering crabs. I asked her if they would be steamed fresh for us she literally starting laughing. Like a gut belly laugh. So I was like uhhhh I'm not getting what is so hilarious. She said "honey if we steamed our crabs fresh for each table you'd be here all night" Of course this totally threw me off I wasn't expecting that answer, whenever we go to Captain Johns they are steamed fresh for us. She must have sensed my hesitation because she said oh don't worry they'll be good. I was like ummm so how exactly are you cooking them then? Oh we just steam a few bushels and slowly pick from that and when theyre almost gone we steam some more...definitely not the answer I wanted to hear. I think I was making my friends uncomfortable w/ my facial expressions I've just never heard this done before. My friends said lets share a dozen and go from there... yup as you can imagine they came out and were barely warm. We only shared the one dozen and left. No thanks. I'm not paying $40 a dozen for luke warm not fresh crabs.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
We only know one way but look forward to late season crabbing the most.
Caught four dozen yesterday (this guy was just short of eight inches) and had the best scenery to boot.
Starting our cake stash as well.

Attachments

• Catch of the day (2).jpg
    Catch of the day (2).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Catch of the day1 (2).jpg
    Catch of the day1 (2).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 108
  • sunset16 (2).jpg
    sunset16 (2).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 111

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Friends invited us for dinner there last year... hadn't been in a looong time and another friend told me that their crabs aren't steamed fresh to order and that they often reheat their crabs, so when we sat down our waitress asked if we were ordering crabs. I asked her if they would be steamed fresh for us she literally starting laughing. Like a gut belly laugh. So I was like uhhhh I'm not getting what is so hilarious. She said "honey if we steamed our crabs fresh for each table you'd be here all night" Of course this totally threw me off I wasn't expecting that answer, whenever we go to Captain Johns they are steamed fresh for us. She must have sensed my hesitation because she said oh don't worry they'll be good. I was like ummm so how exactly are you cooking them then? Oh we just steam a few bushels and slowly pick from that and when theyre almost gone we steam some more...definitely not the answer I wanted to hear. I think I was making my friends uncomfortable w/ my facial expressions I've just never heard this done before. My friends said lets share a dozen and go from there... yup as you can imagine they came out and were barely warm. We only shared the one dozen and left. No thanks. I'm not paying $40 a dozen for luke warm not fresh crabs.

I use to deliver crabs there..I knew (in passing ..we were not "friends"..just knew each other) Capt. Billy. This was in the mid 80s. They steamed the crabs in large batches then too..but the volume of customers made it so that they were always just coming out of the steamers and on to the tables. Evans ..pretty much the same deal. My head welder/machinist used to keep the Evans steam boiler repaired and rolling. So it sounds like they are still trying to cook them in the same manner but just not rolling them through as fast?...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We ended up at Capt. Pat's, which only had :shudder: females. So I had steamed skrimps and fried scallops, and Monello had crab legs. We'll do a crab picking later in the week.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We only know one way but look forward to late season crabbing the most.
Caught four dozen yesterday (this guy was just short of eight inches) and had the best scenery to boot.
Starting our cake stash as well.

That's a crab! Beautiful water pic! Thanks for sharing. No pun intended! :lol:

Last edited:

nutz

Would you be willing to wait 45 minutes plus for the crabs to be cooked as ordered? Those aren't yesterdays or last weeks crabs, they are cooked same day.