At Least 6 White House Advisers Used Private Email Accounts

seven

WASHINGTON — At least six of President Trump’s closest advisers occasionally used private email addresses to discuss White House matters, current and former officials said on Monday.

The disclosures came a day after news surfaced that Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and adviser, used a private email account to send or receive about 100 work-related emails during the administration’s first seven months. But Mr. Kushner was not alone. Stephen K. Bannon, the former chief White House strategist, and Reince Priebus, the former chief of staff, also occasionally used private email addresses. Other advisers, including Gary D. Cohn and Stephen Miller, sent or received at least a few emails on personal accounts, officials said.

Ivanka Trump, the president’s elder daughter, who is married to Mr. Kushner, used a private account when she acted as an unpaid adviser in the first months of the administration, Newsweek reported Monday. Administration officials acknowledged that she also occasionally did so when she formally became a White House adviser. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter with reporters.

Officials are supposed to use government emails for their official duties so their conversations are available to the public and those conducting oversight. But it is not illegal for White House officials to use private email accounts as long as they forward work-related messages to their work accounts so they can be preserved.

During the 2016 presidential race, Mr. Trump repeatedly harped on Hillary Clinton’s use of a private account as secretary of state, making it a centerpiece of his campaign and using it to paint her as untrustworthy. “We must not let her take her criminal scheme into the Oval Office,” Mr. Trump said last year. His campaign rallies often boiled over with chants of “Lock her up!”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/us/politics/private-email-trump-kushner-bannon.html

littlelady

God bless the USA
And 5 minutes ago you were screaming "LOCK HER UP!"

When you start your reply with "So?", you are just as big of a hypocrite.

Hillary should be locked up. Many still desire that. But, she won't be locked up. Our Gov is way too corrupt. We just have to Valley Forge on! Go, Trump! Drain the swamp! What a YUGE undertaking, but somebody had to try to do it.

I was just rereading your post. How does starting a sentence with 'so' make one a hypocrite? In my interpretation 'so' means that one took in someone else's comments, and then added their own. :shrug:

Last edited:

SamSpade

Which is it then? Should they or shouldn't they? Can't have it both ways.

If Hillary shouldn't have, then they should not.
If it's ok, it's ok.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Which is it then? Should they or shouldn't they? Can't have it both ways.

Seven and Transporter are trying to claim some moral high ground claiming 'see Trump's People do it too'

thing is, this is never going to go away .....
the problem is being smart about it ...
some partisan is going to drop a dime on you as soon as they can #becauseTrump

.... dishonest people trying to hide communications are always going to ignore the rules when convenient ....

the problem is;

what constitutes 'official business' ...

somethings are obvious ... others could be a causal conversation about who to invite for lunch

SamSpade

Seven and Transporter are trying to claim some moral high ground claiming 'see Trump's People do it too'

Although I have an email account of my own - and one for my federal job - I *NEVER* conduct work business with personal email.
In fact, with very rare exception, I never write to my own email, or use my own email to write to anyone at work - and mainly because those things are monitored and you can't have attachments going out the door.
Or coming IN.
Even one infraction and I can lose my job.

I was simply amazed at the extent that Hillary went to privatize her email. Sure didn't use AOL like Colin Powell or GMail. She had her own set up personally.
And destroyed them AFTER they were requested.

It's not that she HAD one as much as that it was done without oversight and without security - that emails in the national interest were exposed to the world - and when requested them, she didn't JUST delete them, she had them scrubbed from the server and all traces everywhere scrubbed as well - and idiotically said "you mean, like with a cloth" when asked, knowing full well what she had done.

If the two occurrences are comparable, then the logical thing to do is request the emails. If they fully comply, what's the problem?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
She had her own set up personally.
And destroyed them AFTER they were requested.

From what has leaked out Hillary and company were selling access through the Clinton Foundation ... illegal, unethical, or immoral period end of story
Also I think the old bat was too lazy [complained on multiple occasions about having to have 2 BlackBerrys] or too stupid to handle the technology

she had people in her office forwarding everything from the secure system to her private email so she would only have to access one device

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And when you get all jacked up because one of Trump's advisors uses a private email account, yet defended the Secretary of State doing it when communicating classified information, guess what that makes you?

limblips

PREMO Member
What is the difference you ask? Well, let's see. Having a private email account is a lot different than having an entire secret server in a bathroom. Making sure the email you sent on your private email account also went to your government email (in keeping with the federal records act) is a lot different than destroying thousands of emails your legal team determined were personal and not government related (after knowing there was an investigation ongoing). Sending unclassified emails on your private account is a lot different than sending classified information on your private server.

Lock her up!

"The lawyer, Abbe Lowell, said that Mr. Kushner, using the personal account, had received or sent “fewer than a hundred emails” involving his White House colleagues over the first seven months of the administration. Mr. Lowell said the emails were all forwarded to Mr. Kushner’s official account, creating a record." From the NYT.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sending unclassified emails on your private account is a lot different than sending classified information on your private server.

This is an important distinction. It's also important to distinguish a presidential advisor from a top level government official. Of course, distinction and context were never strong suits of the Left.

This_person

This is an important distinction. It's also important to distinguish a presidential advisor from a top level government official. Of course, distinction and context were never strong suits of the Left.

Well, let's be honest here....No one (but maybe Weems?) did not hear of the whole Clinton thing. Even the most dense person is well aware of the fact that government people are not to do government work on non-government e-mail systems.

Is there a charge of it being classified? Don't think so. Is there a charge of it being intentionally done with the main purpose being to not have your e-mails available for government retention? Not that I saw. Is there a charge of not turning over any pertinent e-mails within a timeline required (if one is required)? Didn't see that either.

But, "known or should have known" that it was not the right thing to do applies here. Yes, the difference is incredibly large in scope, intent, and magnitude, but wrong is wrong and we should call it out as such.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But, "known or should have known" that it was not the right thing to do applies here.

I want to see the emails first. If Jared Kushner emailed Ivanka and said, "Hey, we're having dinner with your dad tonight, don't forget," that could technically be construed as "discussing government matters" because it involves the president. It could also be considered "communicating with White House officials," because it was sent to another presidential advisor. His lawyer says:

He added: “These usually forwarded news articles or political commentary and most often occurred when someone initiated the exchange by sending an email to his personal, rather than his White House, address. All nonpersonal emails were forwarded to his official address and all have been preserved in any event.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/us/politics/kushner-personal-email.html

Since we already know that the progpress makes an enormous stink about any little thing associated in any way with Trump, and typically their hysterical outrage turns out to be bull####, I will wait for more information because chances are really good that this "story" is crap.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Whoosh ... right over your tiny little progbot head

He's running back to his handlers right now going, "Now what do I say?" Watch for him to change the subject and go off on some unrelated tangent, then twist it around to pretend that it has to do with the topic at hand.

somdwatch

Big Difference, Email account vs. Email server.

As Hillary did it she owned it lock, stock and bitbleach.

A private account from a hosted server is subpoena covered.

Sapidus

He's running back to his handlers right now going, "Now what do I say?" Watch for him to change the subject and go off on some unrelated tangent, then twist it around to pretend that it has to do with the topic at hand.

Yeah. George soros paid me to say that. blah blah blah