NFL Stadiums Have Collected Over $1.1 Billion

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Chris0nllyn

I can only hope if anything good comes out of this conversation, it's the amount of taxpayer money that these billion dollar-plus teams receive.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bipartisan Effort To Strip NFL Of Taxpayer Funding For Stadiums Is Gaining Steam

Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) and Oklahoma Sen. James Lankford (R-OK) have co-sponsored a bill that would strip any taxpayer funding for professional sports teams for building their massive arenas. The proposal, first put forward in June, is gaining steam on Capitol Hill after NFL players began kneeling during the national anthem to protest police brutality (or something).

“Professional sports teams generate billions of dollars in revenue,” Booker said in a June 13 statement. “There’s no reason why we should give these multimillion-dollar businesses a federal tax break to build new stadiums. It’s not fair to finance these expensive projects on the backs of taxpayers, especially when wealthy teams end up reaping most of the benefits.”

Said Lankford: “The federal government is responsible for a lot of important functions, but financing sports stadiums for multi-million — sometimes billion — dollar franchises is definitely not one of them. Using billions of federal taxpayer dollars for the subsidization of private stadiums when we have real infrastructure needs in our country is not a good way to prioritize a limited amount of funds."

A spokesman from Lankford’s office told The Daily Caller on Sunday that "in the last four weeks interest in the bill has picked up since both members proposed it four months ago."

its about damn time to end Corporate Welfare for the Billion Dollar Sports Industry .....

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not One More Dime: NFL Stadiums Have Collected Over $1.1 Billion in Federal Subsidies – Time to Cut Them Off

Varney reminded the FOX and Friends hosts that NFL stadiums have collected over $1 billion in federal subsidies.

Stuart Varney: There’s $1.1 billion in direct subsidies from taxpayers to the NFL… Taxpayer subsidies go to the building of stadiums. There have been 20 new NFL stadiums since 1997. All of them have received a degree of taxpayer subsidies.

AND the NFL is a non-profit entity that doesn't pay taxes..

Way to pay it back to the people!

stgislander

PREMO Member
MD is still using lottery revenues to pay off Camden Yards (2019) and M&T Bank Stadium (2026).

Hijinx

I can only hope if anything good comes out of this conversation, it's the amount of taxpayer money that these billion dollar-plus teams receive.

For once we agree.Let them build their own stadiums and pay taxes on their earnings.

Hank

my war
AND the NFL is a non-profit entity that doesn't pay taxes..

Way to pay it back to the people!

Wrong (shocker).

The NFL League Office used to be a tax-exempt entity...

And it didn't apply to the Teams.

Last edited:

Hijinx

The NFL's teams, who see a bulk of the league's $11 billion in revenue, are taxable entities. So the NFL does pay taxes. The league office is tax-exempt, but it generated just $9 million in income during the 2012 tax year.Apr 28, 2015.

But Goodell who runs head the office makes 44 Million dollars a year. No wonder their income is limited.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
MD is still using lottery revenues to pay off Camden Yards (2019) and M&T Bank Stadium (2026).

In 1995/96, after three previous failures to vote for a new stadium here in Tampa, the brilliant minds here in Hillsborough County came up with the Community Investment Tax Plan, claiming the 1% tax increase would rebuild roads, parks, schools, fire and police depts, etc., and whatever was left would go towards a new football stadium for the Bucs, and the soon to be USF Bulls. What a joke it was - all those goodies surrounding and obscuring (in the mind of lemming voters) the main goal, which was a new stadium. The new owners of the Bucs, the Glazers were all in for the project, publicly promising that the team would pay for half of the new stadium, around $180 million would be their share.

The proposal barely passed, with about 105,000 for and about 102,000 against. But pass it did. I, as a Buc-can-eers! Go Bucs! season ticket holder since day one in 1976, lobbied extensively AGAINST the proposal, knowing full well the Glazers and the team would not pay one dime. I was really harassed about being a season ticket holder and against the proposal, being told if there was no new stadium, the Bucs would leave. I didn't care if they would have left then, as I don't care if they leave, or if the league even survives, now.

Today, 22 years later, and with the new stadium in place since 1998, The Bucs have not paid a dime towards their promise, and they will not pay a dime.

People and the sponsors call it Raymond James Stadium. I call it the CIT Stadium. Although I am still a season ticket holder today, I have been disappointed with the NFL since then as a whole, and really so now with the politicization of the league. The taxpayers were on the hook then, as we are now.

Last edited:

nutz

In 1995/96, after three previous failures to vote for a new stadium here in Tampa, the brilliant minds here in Hillsborough County came up with the Community Investment Tax Plan, claiming the 1% tax increase would rebuild roads, parks, schools, fire and police depts, etc., and whatever was left would go towards a new football stadium for the Bucs, and the soon to be USF Bulls. What a joke it was - all those goodies surrounding and obscuring (in the mind of lemming voters) the main goal, which was a new stadium. The new owners of the Bucs, the Glazers were all in for the project, publicly promising that the team would pay for half of the new stadium, around $180 million would be their share.

The proposal barely passed, with about 105,000 for and about 102,000 against. But pass it did. I, as a Buc-can-eers! Go Bucs! season ticket holder since day one in 1976, lobbied extensively AGAINST the proposal, knowing full well the Glazers and the team would not pay one dime. I was really harassed about being a season ticket holder and against the proposal, being told if there was no new stadium, the Bucs would leave. I didn't care if they would have left then, as I don't care if they leave, or if the league even survives, now.

Today, 22 years later, and with the new stadium in place since 1998, The Bucs have not paid a dime towards their promise, and they will not pay a dime.

People and the sponsors call it Raymond James Stadium. I call it the CIT Stadium. Although I am still a season ticket holder today, I have been disappointed with the NFL since then as a whole, and really so now with the politicization of the league. The taxpayers were on the hook then, as we are now.

So why are you a ticket holder?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
So why are you a ticket holder?

I am up to this year, before this anthem protest really started. The rest of the time, I loved the game, even after the slight majority of the county caved into building the stadium, at which I voted NO. But it was there, I helped pay unwillingly for it, so I kept my streak of charter ticket holder (there's only about 400 original people left, not withstanding the tickets that were passed down to family members or businesses, so I'm sort of proud of the loyalty I've displayed - my wife's not, but it is what it is) through all those miserable years, but the one Super Bowl Victory.

I guess being a season ticket holder is perhaps my one real vice in life, and it is disposable income. Being 63 now, it is not quite as fun or easy to get/go to the games, but I do enjoy watching live vs the TV, and I leave when I want to leave. I've paid for and earned that right.

Very doubtful about next year. Extremely doubtful unless the league does a real reversal on their politicization of the game.