Saudi Arabia Agrees to Let Women Drive

Misfit

Lawful neutral
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/...eakingNews&contentID=65876973&pgtype=Homepage

Saudi Arabia announced on Tuesday that it would allow women to drive, ending a longstanding policy that has become a global symbol of the oppression of women in the ultraconservative kingdom.

The change, which will take effect in June 2018, was announced in a royal decree read live on state television and in a simultaneous media event in Washington. The decision highlights the damage that the ban on women driving has done to the kingdom’s international reputation and its hopes for a public relations benefit from the reform.

Weems

Hooray for progress! Just another century before they can remove their veils. And maybe after that, they can stop exporting/funding Wahhabism.

Also, women can still likely drive only if their husbands let them.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Hooray for progress! Just another century before they can remove their veils. And maybe after that, they can stop exporting/funding Wahhabism.

Also, women can still likely drive only if their husbands let them.

:lol: Exactly.

Hijinx

I read that today. It won't make up for the rest of the crap that they do to women. They are trying to be so forward and all. What a joke.

You are right. I wonder how much peripheral vision they have wearing a Burke and veil.
I guess they can do fine as long as they drive straight ahead.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
You are right. I wonder how much peripheral vision they have wearing a Burke and veil.

Won't change their driving habits. A personal, first hand account on my part:

My last few years in the Navy reserves I was assigned to a MSC (Military Sealift Command) unit, and we did our Annual Training and mobilization at our gaining command, which was COMMIDEASTFOR, located in Manama, Bahrain. We were required to have rental cars for transport from and to our lodging, which was usually at a hotel some miles from the base. My first time there I was warned to be especially careful and cautions on Thursday - Saturday, every week. Why, I asked?

On Thursday afternoons, the 20 mile long causeway connecting Saudi Arabia and Bahrain would be packed with cars of good, holy muslims heading from the mainland to the Las Vegas of the mid-East - Manama. Leading the pack, and all around town during those holy days, all the Saudi women would be driving, making up for all their lost privileges at home and as expected, with no drivers training or skills, they would be a terror on the roadways. It was a nightmare for anybody driving over there. Fortunately on Saturday afternoon, they would all return to Saudi to resume their duties as good, holy Muslims, after a weekend of partying down in Bahrain. No hypocrisy there, right?:sarcasm:

nutz

Probably more than the bitches here that drive slumped over the center console with the seat laid back and a cellphone in their hand.

Clem72

Probably more than the bitches here that drive slumped over the center console with the seat laid back and a cellphone in their hand.

You can't profile what you can't see. Cops down here must think we have had self-driving cars for a decade or more.

Hijinx

good point . For some reason they also like the fast lane so they can block that up.