Police shoot and kill deaf man who wouldn’t fallow their commands

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ot-deaf-man-despite-yells-of-he-cant-hear-you

Police in Oklahoma City on Tuesday night fatally shot a deaf man who they say was advancing toward them with a metal pipe as witnesses yelled that the man was deaf and could not hear them.

Police ordered Sanchez to drop the weapon and get on the ground, Mathews said. Both officers had weapons drawn — Lindsey had a Taser and Barnes a gun. Sanchez came off the porch and was walking toward Barnes.

"The witnesses also were yelling that this person, Mr. Sanchez, was deaf and could not hear. The officers didn't know this at the time," Mathews said.

Both officers fired their weapons at the same time when Sanchez was about 15 feet away from them; more than one shot was fired, the police captain said.

Weems

All he had to do was listen -- amirite right boot-licking apologists? Isn't that the standard refrain?

I'm sure the police will label it a "good kill".

Hijinx

Well it's like this. It doesn't take a lot of smarts to approach 2 cops with guns drawn, and in a belligerent manner ,to know they aren't just holding their weapons for the fun of it.

So: The guy couldn't hear them tell him to stop and lay down the weapon. If he had a working brain he should be able to analyze what was going to happen without a word being spoken.

Cops have been getting a lot of criticism lately ,much of it deserved, but in this case they probably were justified.

Weems

Well it's like this. It doesn't take a lot of smarts to approach 2 cops with guns drawn, and in a belligerent manner ,to know they aren't just holding their weapons for the fun of it.

So: The guy couldn't hear them tell him to stop and lay down the weapon. If he had a working brain he should be able to analyze what was going to happen without a word being spoken.

Cops have been getting a lot of criticism lately ,much of it deserved, but in this case they probably were justified.

^^^ example of said boot-licking apologist. ^^^

Hijinx

LMAO. No boot licking here, just common sense.

Something sorely lacking in this deaf idiot.

By the way he was carrying a piece of pipe that had a leather loop attached to it. Pretty obvious it was a weapon.

littlelady

God bless the USA
He was advancing toward police with a weapon. Enough said. I am sick of bleeding hearts that only bleed one way. Stop!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
in other news ... gang banger's have killed deaf people for throwing 'gang signs'

nutz

All he had to do was listen -- amirite right boot-licking apologists? Isn't that the standard refrain?

I'm sure the police will label it a "good kill".

Good lord LB/rumprider/sapidum, how many MPD's are you?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I want to make sure I understand.

Officers respond to a hit and run accident.
Witnesses say that the perp went to a specific house.
Cops arrive at that house to find this person with a weapon in his hand.
They tell him to drop his weapon.
He ignores them.
They draw their guns and whip out the taser.
Guy gets off the porch and advances on the cops, still holding his weapon.
Cops shoot him.

Is that correct? Because I fail to see what him being deaf has to do with this situation. Was he blind as well? Even if you can't hear the cops telling you to drop your weapon, it should kick in when they pull out their guns.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I want to make sure I understand.

Officers respond to a hit and run accident.
Witnesses say that the perp went to a specific house.
Cops arrive at that house to find this person with a weapon in his hand.
They tell him to drop his weapon.
He ignores them.
They draw their guns and whip out the taser.
Guy gets off the porch and advances on the cops, still holding his weapon.
Cops shoot him.

Is that correct? Because I fail to see what him being deaf has to do with this situation. Was he blind as well? Even if you can't hear the cops telling you to drop your weapon, it should kick in when they pull out their guns.

Exactly. I compare this situation to a person being in a foreign country where they don't speak the native language. If you are walking down the street, and some local law enforcement officers come upon you with their weapons drawn, yelling something that you don't understand, wouldn't the smartest thing to do be to put your hands up and stand still and not do anything that may be perceived as 'menacing' or threatening? Guns pointed at you is pretty universal language in my opinion.

black dog

Free America
Some news outlets have reported that not only was this man deaf he also could not speak, that make me wonder if he also was mentally inefficient.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Base on the story, officer #1 has a taser and officer #2 has a gun. Both fire when the suspect, holding a piece of pipe, walks to within 15 feet of them. Why have the taser out at all? Officer #2 didn't allow officer #1 time to end the conflict with the taser. Sounds like another failure in training.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Some news outlets have reported that not only was this man deaf he also could not speak, that make me wonder if he also was mentally inefficient.

Many deaf people cannot speak, but that doesn't mean they are mentally deficient.

I'm guessing the guy was drunk. But being drunk doesn't mean you can attack cops with a weapon. It's not surprising the usual suspects are jumping up and down and losing their hivemind. I wish I could send drunk Mexicans with weapons over to their house to go after their families; see if they don't come away with a different perspective.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I see. So you think the cops should have waited until the guy injured or killed one of them before stopping him?

The whole purpose of the taser is non-lethal force. Why deploy it if the other officer is immediately going to use lethal force? Why have it at all?