ObamaCare's Tax on the Poor. The mandate penalty hits low-income Americans the hardest

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
FINALLY!!! Someone with clout said it (The Wall Street Journal Editorial Board):

These Americans are paying a fine to avoid purchasing a product they don’t want or can’t afford but government compels them to buy. Such individuals don’t suddenly have access to less expensive or higher quality medical care, but they do have less money for household expenses, which can consume a high share of income for this class of families.

The unfortunate irony is that ObamaCare destroyed the private market that offered options that in some cases made sense for these people. For example: High-deductible, limited coverage for unexpected events.

https://www.wsj.com/article_email/obamacares-tax-on-the-poor-1506118414-lMyQjAxMTE3MjIzMzgyNTM2Wj/

Even the Enterprise wrote a story in the not-too-distant-past interviewing local people about the impact of ObamaCare on them. My favorite quote was the man saying that premiums were too high and even if he did buy it, there were high deductibles to meet on top of that ($6,000/year).

To listen to that sociopath Steny Hoyer, everyone has great coverage now and doing away with ObamaCare would result in MILLIONS losing their coverage or face higher premiums. HELLO, MORON!

Their next step, of course, is to push for "single-payer" where the government is the single insurer and you pay what they say or face tax evasion charges. Eliz Warren and Bernie Sanders are already on the move. The federal government is so corrupt now that they won't even negotiate for low drug prices for the Medicare program because they're all bought and paid for by the big pharma industry. Then there's the infamous "donut hole."

I know a lot of people have a "who cares" attitude because they think this does not impact them directly. Well, I have news for them. It does. Every dollar their employer has to spend providing over-priced health care, is one less dollar they are going to use to hire more people or give you a raise or bonus. Then when it does go full-commie, it'll come right off the top in your withholding and then you'll see it on your pay stub every week. The total number will no longer hidden in the company's overhead costs where you don't see it -- although I imagine they'll bundle it like they do with the current SSN/Medicare tax; you pay 7.5% and the company pay the other 7.5% -- which is why self-employed people pay 15%.

Unfortunately, the Republicans have done little to nothing to repeal it, opting instead to put forward some bizarre mods which I can only assume benefits a few of the special interests.

What I can't figure out --- and no one seems to be reporting on in a factual way --- is where all of this extra money is going? Premiums have doubled and tripled and the government feeds the insurers BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in the background on top of this. Are you actually trying to say that there were so many then-uninsured people with pre-existing conditions to justify all of this money?

Finally, I have a lot of sympathy for my fellow man in regards to this issue. However, I also wonder how many people who were uninsurable due to pre-existing conditions were people who could have afforded a policy buy decided instead to roll the dice and lost? Years ago, when I was evaluating my options before all this nonsense started, I considered rolling the dice but decided it was not worth the risk.

Last edited:

Hijinx

FINALLY!!! Someone with clout said it (The Wall Street Journal Editorial Board):

https://www.wsj.com/article_email/obamacares-tax-on-the-poor-1506118414-lMyQjAxMTE3MjIzMzgyNTM2Wj/

Even the Enterprise wrote a story in the not-too-distant-past interviewing local people about the impact of ObamaCare on them. My favorite quote was the man saying that premiums were too high and even if he did buy it, there were high deductibles to meet on top of that ($6,000/year).

To listen to that sociopath Steny Hoyer, everyone has great coverage now and doing away with ObamaCare would result in MILLIONS losing their coverage or face higher premiums. HELLO, MORON!

Their next step, of course, is to push for "single-payer" where the government is the single insurer and you pay what they say or face tax evasion charges. Eliz Warren and Bernie Sanders are already on the move. The federal government is so corrupt now that they won't even negotiate for low drug prices for the Medicare program because they're all bought and paid for by the big pharma industry. Then there's the infamous "donut hole."

I know a lot of people have a "who cares" attitude because they think this does not impact them directly. Well, I have news for them. It does. Every dollar their employer has to spend providing over-priced health care, is one less dollar they are going to use to hire more people or give you a raise or bonus. Then when it does go full-commie, it'll come right off the top in your withholding and then you'll see it on your pay stub every week. The total number will no longer hidden in the company's overhead costs where you don't see it -- although I imagine they'll bundle it like they do with the current SSN/Medicare tax; you pay 7.5% and the company pay the other 7.5% -- which is why self-employed people pay 15%.

Unfortunately, the Republicans have done little to nothing to repeal it, opting instead to put forward some bizarre mods which I can only assume benefits a few of the special interests.

What I can't figure out --- and no one seems to be reporting on in a factual way --- is where all of this extra money is going? Premiums have doubled and tripled and the government feeds the insurers BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in the background on top of this. Are you actually trying to say that there were so many then-uninsured people with pre-existing conditions to justify all of this money?

Finally, I have a lot of sympathy for my fellow man in regards to this issue. However, I also wonder how many people who were uninsurable due to pre-existing conditions were people who could have afforded a policy buy decided instead to roll the dice and lost? Years ago, when I was evaluating my options before all this nonsense started, I considered rolling the dice but decided it was not worth the risk.

Pretty sure a lot of that money is going to pay for the people who could not get insurance because they had pre-existing conditions.
Some of it is probably going into the pockets of Dem Congresscritters.
But the fact is people who cannot afford the insurance and have to pay a fine are getting royally screwed by an unConstitutional law that requires and forces Americans to buy something they don't want. The founders would sh1t if they knew what the Democrats did.

Justice Roberts that POS called this a tax to get it to work. He should be impeached.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Then there's the infamous "donut hole."

I must have missed this one ... would you explain it?

I know a lot of people have a "who cares" attitude because they think this does not impact them directly.

yeah I have my 'Affordable' Care First Blue Cross go up every year

...... it'll come right off the top in your withholding and then you'll see it on your pay stub every week. The total number will no longer hidden in the company's overhead costs where you don't see it -- although I imagine they'll bundle it like they do with the current SSN/Medicare tax; you pay 7.5% and the company pay the other 7.5% -- which is why self-employed people pay 15%.

Oh No ...
Bernie promises more MONEY in my paycheck because I am no longer 'out of pocket' for my HC payments ...

:sarcasm:

Indeed, the Pay Roll tax will then be 25 % ... but hey YOU aren't paying that

Last edited:

transporter

Some thoughts on this...

Primarily, like most on here, you really should learn how to understand English and the methods ALL media (not just your hated MSM) words things in order to influence tiny minds.

You have taken the WSJ article seriously out of context. The WSJ article does not say how many people paid the tax vs how many people are covered under "Obamacare", now did it? What is the percentage of households paying the tax vs the total number of households. WSJ only used the word "some" to clarify the number of households. How many is "some"? 5? 5,000? 5,000,000?

It also used "household" as it's data point and then erroneously compared the household to the poverty level of a "family of four". Household in term of IRS data does not only include families of 4.

I am not saying the data is wrong, only that---if you understand English---the data is essentially irrelevant because it has no context.

As for your comments:

Why can't you figure this out? The great problem with Obamacare isn't the BS political garbage tossed about on here everyday. The great failure is the idea that we can cover everyone for everything forever. Go look at the Medicare and Medicaid stats. Look around at the people you know. The cost to take care of the really sick are astronomical. I'm not talking about someone who has the flu or breaks a leg. I'm talking about folks with end stage cancer, needing organ transplants, who suffer terrible injuries in an accident, those with chronic illnesses that require constant care. Roughly 80% of all medical expenses are paid out on roughly only 20% of patients.

And if you haven't noticed, our country's population is rapidly aging. The old(er) have more health problems.

So if you wonder where all the money is going...and why premiums were and still are rising...then you really haven't been paying attention.

People with pre-existing conditions generally aren't going to roll the dice. That comment is really dumb. People with NO health issues are more willing to roll the dice.