Trump preparing executive order to let Americans purchase health insurance across state lines

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump preparing executive order to let Americans purchase health insurance across state lines

The executive action gives the White House a chance to follow through on at least one promise related to healthcare reform after Senate Republicans' second attempt to overhaul Obamacare failed this week. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul first mentioned the action during a TV appearance Wednesday morning, saying Trump was considering taking matters into his own hands.

"I think there's going to be big news from the White House in the next week or two, something they can do on their own," Paul told MSNBC, adding that Trump "can legalize on his own the ability of individuals to join a group or a health association across state lines and buy insurance."

A Senate GOP source told the Washington Examiner the executive action is considered "a done deal" and likely to be announced "in the next few weeks."

Trump later confirmed to reporters he is likely to issue an order permitting "people to go out across state lines, do lots of things, and buy their own healthcare."

Well this should be interesting .........

This_person

It's too bad no one listened to Rand Paul early enough in this fiasco.

People did, and shut down a lot of the government because of it. The correct people didn't, and they lost the House, Senate, and White House in the process.

But, I had problems with the executive branch legislating through EO in the previous administration, and I have it now as well. If this law is so ambiguous as to be manipulatable through EO at presidential whim (it seemed in the Obama years, and maybe it is starting again in the Trump years), then why can't Trump just EO-repeal it? Simply defund the requirements through budget processes, and EO out all the regulations and legalities of it, and it is gone, right?

We do not have a king, regardless of who wants to wear the crown or what they want to do.

SamSpade

People did, and shut down a lot of the government because of it. The correct people didn't, and they lost the House, Senate, and White House in the process.

But, I had problems with the executive branch legislating through EO in the previous administration, and I have it now as well. If this law is so ambiguous as to be manipulatable through EO at presidential whim (it seemed in the Obama years, and maybe it is starting again in the Trump years), then why can't Trump just EO-repeal it? Simply defund the requirements through budget processes, and EO out all the regulations and legalities of it, and it is gone, right?

We do not have a king, regardless of who wants to wear the crown or what they want to do.

Gotta say, I don't like anything major put into action by EO.
For one, because Presidents have been abusing this power for a while now to bypass Congress, and for another, it's undone easily by another President.

However, this is long overdue. I may be mistaken, but I think my federal BC/BS *is* purchased across state lines.
Why shouldn't everyone be able to do this?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I may be mistaken, but I think my federal BC/BS *is* purchased across state lines.
Why shouldn't everyone be able to do this?

A State Actions Report

Insurance firms in each state are protected from interstate competition by the federal McCarran-Ferguson Act (1945), which grants states the right to regulate health plans within their borders. Large employers who self-insure are exempt from these state regulations. The result has been a patchwork of 50 different sets of state regulations and the cost for an insurer licensed in one state to enter another state market is often high.

A growing number of state legislators are interested in whether some states allow or facilitate the purchase of health insurance across state boundaries or from out-of-state regulated companies. NCSL's state health insurance research and tracking shows a gradually growing number of states—at least 21 as of December 2016—and state legislators considering this idea during the past eight years and continuing to the present.

Note that “self-insured” or “self-funded” health coverage usually offered by large employers (especially with 500+ employees) is not regulated by states and is guided by the federal ERISA law, administered by the U.S. Department of Labor.

Federally authorized health savings accounts and accompanying High Deductible Health Policies (HDHPs) are exempt from much of state regulation, including some state mandates.

so a 1945 Era Protection Act ... are there any 'Local' Health Insurance Companies' left

No I am NOT talking the 20 - 50 versions or Blue Cross or Atena

OH and I could see NANNY States like NY and CaliFU strongly objecting to this .. they have some of the tightly regulated insurance markets in the country

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Editorial: Why selling health insurance across state lines won’t work

Here’s what they don’t tell you:

Most health insurance companies aren’t interested. Consumers won’t benefit. And hospitals and doctors don’t see it as a solution, either.

Selling insurance across state lines is already legal. It’s a provision in the Affordable Care Act.

Several states, including Georgia, Maine and Wyoming have passed laws allowing companies from other states to come in and compete for patients. The Georgia experiment is particularly noteworthy, given that it was highly praised by Republicans when it passed the Legislature in 2011.

[clip]

There’s the rub.

An insurance company located in another state — say, Mississippi — offering insurance in California would need to make network deals with doctors and hospitals throughout the state. That’s expensive and immensely complex.

It’s not just that the market is different from Mississippi. The health care market in Northern California is vastly different from the Central Valley and Southern California markets.

To sell insurance in multiple states, companies would need to make major up front investments knowing that they would absorb big losses for several years.

They also know hospitals and other providers won’t be interested in making deals with companies offering minimum coverage to customers, since that shifts the risk of medical care costs to patients or providers — or taxpayers. Insurance premiums might drop over time, but medical costs would skyrocket — or sick people would just die, as many cancer survivors say they’d have done without the Affordable Care Act.

As to consumers — Californians would need to be wary of buying insurance from firms based in states with weak consumer protections. California has some of the toughest protections for patients in the nation, and it can still be difficult to hold insurers to their promises. Good luck trying to convince a company in some far-flung state that it can’t, say, arbitrarily refuse to pay for treatment a patient was led to believe would be covered.

SamSpade

No I am NOT talking the 20 - 50 versions or Blue Cross or Atena

Isn't that enough? Those are two pretty big players.
I *think* fed BC/BS is North Carolina - at least, that's how the billing seems to appear.

But I am flabbergasted that something as ancient as 1945 - when people were still thinking about what health plans were - continues to protect across state lines.
And I hate what it "wants" to do - regulate what can and can't - or must or must not - be covered by insurance.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Isn't that enough? Those are two pretty big players.
I *think* fed BC/BS is North Carolina - at least, that's how the billing seems to appear.

well I mean BC having to have 50 separate 'companies' to sell policies in all 50 states

my last employer was 'self insured' and payed Aetna to manage the benefits ...
I do think however California and NY Employees still a had different benefits then the other 90% of us ...

and the guys in Montreal and Mexico I don't know what they got.