Bird feeder

xobxdoc

I've had Bird feeders in my back yard for 2 years and all sorts of birds swarmed the feeders continuously all day since I installed them. I haven't seen a bird in 2 weeks. Anyone else experience this?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I've had Bird feeders in my back yard for 2 years and all sorts of birds swarmed the feeders continuously all day since I installed them. I haven't seen a bird in 2 weeks. Anyone else experience this?

YES!! I have noticed the same thing. I was filling my feeders at least 2 or three times a day up until about two weeks ago. Now, it seems all the squirrels and birds are scarce. I did see a huge hawk in my back yard about a week ago and thought he may have had something to do with it.
But maybe, they are preparing their nests for winter and/or the berries are becoming plentiful!

limblips

The explanations I have received over the past ~20 years of seeing the same: Local birds (the ones you have been feeding) have headed for warmer climes and the northern birds have yet to arrive. Birds have changed their diets to high energy foods in prep for their winter trip. The breeding and feeding of babies is over so mom and dad are making fewer trips to the store. I suppose all of them are a factor and combined they make for a big reduction in birds at the feeders.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The explanations I have received over the past ~20 years of seeing the same: Local birds (the ones you have been feeding) have headed for warmer climes and the northern birds have yet to arrive. Birds have changed their diets to high energy foods in prep for their winter trip. The breeding and feeding of babies is over so mom and dad are making fewer trips to the store. I suppose all of them are a factor and combined they make for a big reduction in birds at the feeders.

We still have some gold finches (that had insatiable appetites 3 weeks ago!) and cardinals and a few others but nothing like the norm. I never remember a lull like this before and I have been feeding birds since we moved here 12 years ago.
In any event, I am well stocked in seed, peanuts and suet and will gladly feed any and all visitors!

limblips

We still have some gold finches (that had insatiable appetites 3 weeks ago!) and cardinals and a few others but nothing like the norm. I never remember a lull like this before and I have been feeding birds since we moved here 12 years ago.
In any event, I am well stocked in seed, peanuts and suet and will gladly feed any and all visitors!

They will be back! The finches will stay all year but change colors to olive drab. Be ready for the arrival of the damn Yankee birds! They will empty feeders in a heartbeat.