Impressive Progress in Europe and Scandinavia

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One of the largest players in Euro/Scandic offshore wind power was always the dominant energy producer in Denmark overall. They've just completed the total divestiture of all fossil fuel (coal, gas, oil) powered electrical plants and related activities.

DONG has won at least one of the recent large US offshore leases and will be leading the way in the fledgling US offshore wind industry.

http://www.offshorewind.biz/2017/09/29/dong-energy-exits-oil-gas-picture/?utm_source=emark&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-update-offshore-wind-2017-10-02&uid=69352

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Make sure they place them right of Cape Cod, Martha's Vinyard, Newport, Rhode Island, and the rest of those good ol' green states. Right where john Kerry can windsurf amongst them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Make sure they place them right of Cape Cod, Martha's Vinyard, Newport, Rhode Island, and the rest of those good ol' green states. Right where john Kerry can windsurf amongst them.

Alas..they are all going to be well off shore...won't be able to see them. Currently the large wind farms are going to be off the coasts of MA, NY, NJ and MD. DE, CT, ME, RI etc will be joining those as the projects move forward and the industry gains momentum here in the US. Heck, we have all of 5 off shore wind turbines in place and operating off Us coastline...there are now over 4000 of them operating in Europe.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
If they're out of sight, out of mind, eh? That will be quite a feat transporting, and maintaining the power lines from such distances underwater, and I would suppose not very cost efficient as well. But I don't really know the technical features of such an endeavor.

Still, pretty neat technology.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If they're out of sight, out of mind, eh? That will be quite a feat transporting, and maintaining the power lines from such distances underwater, and I would suppose not very cost efficient as well. But I don't really know the technical features of such an endeavor.

It is quite an impressive array of tech involved. It's been fascinating to have been directly involved in it as we have for several years now. The gains in efficiencies and reductions in costs made over the last three years along have been almost stunning; offshore wind power cost is now below that of nuclear power in the UK, for example. Cost of offshore wind electrical power production was reduced 47% in only three years and is still dropping. That last round of offshore lease auctions in Europe also told the story...most of them were won on "zero subsidy" bid basis; the need for the government subsidies is disappearing on it's own. The subsidies were not scheduled to have been phased out and eliminated for quite a few more years in most cases. I never would have bet on that outcome.