Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Fruitfly War of 2017

Blog Entries

The Great Fruitfly War of 2017

Good grief, we're infested! Before when I've had fruitflies I put out a dish of cider vinegar with a drop of Dawn, and within a week or so they're gone.

Not this time.

They are amazing and relentless. I've been on them for almost three weeks now. I cleaned everything, bleached the drains, then Monello went behind me and did it again to make sure. I have set out the death pool where they seem to congregate, killed hundreds (maybe thousands) of them, and still they persist.

Now I'm setting out the death pool and when they gather round on the rim to discuss their kids and the latest episode of GoT, I blast them with Windex. Put out a fresh pool, wait, then blast them again. The good news is that the victims are getting younger and younger, so I'm thinking that maybe I might be winning this war. Once you take out the babies, things start to wind down.

But I can't figure out where they're coming from. We've eliminated all the usual breeding places, and yet they continue to breed. Drains, food, trash, spilled goober - all have been treated or eliminated.

WHERE ARE THESE *&^$% THINGS COMING FROM?????
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

We have the little sons of biatches too!! I threw away some old tomatoes my husband had picked and an orange that was just bought two days before. Whats the trick with the vinegar and dawn? They are driving me crazy!!!

They come into our homes via holes in the screens when we leave the windows open for the nice fall breeze. They come into our homes on the fruits and veggies we bring in regardless of where we got them from. They are horrid and the only thing I hate about this time of year.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Whats the trick with the vinegar and dawn?
    Put some cider vinegar in a small dish, then add one drop of Dawn and set the dish where you see the most fruitflies (usually in the kitchen somewhere). The cider attracts them, and when they go to take a sip the Dawn kills them. It's quite satisfying to see dozens of enemy combatants at the bottom of the dish after a day or so. Change out the dish for fresh every morning until they're gone.

Another thing is that they breed in the gunk that collects in your drain. Boiling water mixed with bleach will destroy that breeding ground. Garbage disposals are notorious fruitfly bordellos, so don't forget to bleach that as well.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Put some cider vinegar in a small dish, then add one drop of Dawn and set the dish where you see the most fruitflies (usually in the kitchen somewhere). The cider attracts them, and when they go to take a sip the Dawn kills them. It's quite satisfying to see dozens of enemy combatants at the bottom of the dish after a day or so. Change out the dish for fresh every morning until they're gone.

Another thing is that they breed in the gunk that collects in your drain. Boiling water mixed with bleach will destroy that breeding ground. Garbage disposals are notorious fruitfly bordellos, so don't forget to bleach that as well.
    Roger that General!!! Seriously, thanks for the tips, I think I will be victorious in this battle!!!

been fighting the same war. I think we are winning finally. have used the vinegar and dawn option as well as a vinegar and fruit cocktail at the bottom of a funnel so they can't get back out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terbear1225 View Post
    been fighting the same war. I think we are winning finally. have used the vinegar and dawn option as well as a vinegar and fruit cocktail at the bottom of a funnel so they can't get back out
    No retreat! Stay the course!
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

before you go to bed, pour bleach down all the drains and cover. then they can't get away from the bleach. if you leave the drains open after pouring bleach in them, they'll just hang out on the wall until you rinse the lines. It worked for me, hope it will work for you.
    Je suis prest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    before you go to bed, pour bleach down all the drains and cover. then they can't get away from the bleach. if you leave the drains open after pouring bleach in them, they'll just hang out on the wall until you rinse the lines. It worked for me, hope it will work for you.
    Good idea - I'm open to any and all suggestions. Ugh. Hate.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Good idea - I'm open to any and all suggestions. Ugh. Hate.
    Oh, still put out the vinegar ( I use wine ) and dawn, for the little bastages that aren't in the drain when you cover it.
    Je suis prest

Members who have read this thread: 74