Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Great Fruitfly War of 2017

Blog Entries
    They have been horrible the last few weeks! I was wondering where they were coming from as there is nothing out food-wise for them to breed in so they must having their parties in the drains. I will definitely be trying the bleach solution tonight! DIE MFers DIE!

This method has always worked for me: put apple cider vinegar in a small bowl with a drop of Dawn dish washing liquid, cover with plastic wrap, and punch small holes in the plastic. They get in but can't get out and works great. The other method is to take a two-liter bottle, cut the top third off, add apple cider vinegar and soap to the bottom, invert cut top and insert into the remaining bottom to make a funnel, and tape it in place. Also work great!

Tried a variety of different concotions, went looking for the Terro traps, Wally was out, swung by Ridge Hardware Monday after work, asked about fruit flies, lady showed me some stuff called Aunt Fannies Fly Punch. Showed me one of Terros apple looking traps and one from Fannies, I bought the Fannies trap, and after a week, this stuff rocks. Vinegar based, of course, but while my home made stuff never got more than a few, this thing has 25-30 bodies after a week.
    "I aim to misbehave."

And today they seem to be entirely gone.

Hallelujah!

I like to be right.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion.

If you don't have anything nice to say to someone, then you need to STFU.

For cleaning the disposal a box of baking soda and vinegar will take care of the fruit flies, the foaming engulfs them and suffocates them.

I have always found a jar with apple cider vinegar with a drop of dawn and holes punched in the lid did a good job. In less than a week I usually have 50-100 of those dead little bastards per jar.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl View Post
    And today they seem to be entirely gone.

Hallelujah!
    I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you didn't jinx yourself by posting that. Our fruitfly problem was solved by moving to Myrtle Beach.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Put some cider vinegar in a small dish, then add one drop of Dawn and set the dish where you see the most fruitflies (usually in the kitchen somewhere). The cider attracts them, and when they go to take a sip the Dawn kills them. It's quite satisfying to see dozens of enemy combatants at the bottom of the dish after a day or so. Change out the dish for fresh every morning until they're gone.

Another thing is that they breed in the gunk that collects in your drain. Boiling water mixed with bleach will destroy that breeding ground. Garbage disposals are notorious fruitfly bordellos, so don't forget to bleach that as well.

Works better if you put the cider vinegar in a Mason Jar and use either a narrow neck funnel or make a paper funnel.. they fly into the jar and can't get back out.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    So my saucer of vinegar and a drop of dawn didnt do squat...is that becuase I used the concetrated stuff?
    Has to be Cider Vinegar, like Apple Cider.. White doesn't seem to attract them...

Then build a trap they can fly into but can't fly out of. A jar with a funnel.. a dish with saran wrap and small holes..

We also found traps made by "TraPro" on Amazon that work really well.. TraPro Fruit Fly Traps..

Name:  FruitFlyTrap2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  38.4 KB
    Last edited by itsbob; 10-16-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

I for a long time grew pumpkins in my garden, but a couple of years ago an unknown infection was attacked on them. After that I started to grow wheat. She is not whimsical in growing. The only thing I bought is rotary seed cleaner It is very convenient for me to use it after I harvested.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Has to be Cider Vinegar, like Apple Cider.. White doesn't seem to attract them...

Then build a trap they can fly into but can't fly out of. A jar with a funnel.. a dish with saran wrap and small holes..

We also found traps made by "TraPro" on Amazon that work really well.. TraPro Fruit Fly Traps..

Name:  FruitFlyTrap2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  38.4 KB
    With the cider vinegar in a trap type container, I has two after a week. With the saucer with dawn, one. A week with commercial product, 20-40, been gone all week to Philly, more than double the bodies. Well worth the $10.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 74