Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Renters

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Yes. They're out now, and they left a mess, didn't pay their final rent, left us with a 400.00 water bill, and the elec company said they owe them over $1000.00. What I don't get is why the utilities weren't turned off after the first month wasn't paid by the time the next billing cycle came around. Anyway, we're making repairs and we're dropping it well below market just to get out from under it. There goes the neighborhood!
    I hear ya. After too much of that exact crap, I took over all utilities except for phone and cable and rented "utilities included" to avoid the extra hassle. Later, after an extensive repair/remodel we looked at how nice the apartment was again and said "eff it..no more renting" We use that one as a guest apartment for family and friends and now have only one renter left..and he takes great care of that place. No more new rentals for me.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Considering what they did to the house, they made out, even leaving without their deposit. The deposit covers a months rent, which leaves nothing for the repairs we have to make.
    Take their asses to court!
    Friend of mine took her tenants to court with pictures and proof of non-payment. Judge decided in her favor and put the tenants on a "payment plan" of some sorts to recoup the bills. Don't think they made her whole, but it was close.

Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Take their asses to court!
    Friend of mine took her tenants to court with pictures and proof of non-payment. Judge decided in her favor and put the tenants on a "payment plan" of some sorts to recoup the bills. Don't think they made her whole, but it was close.
    I did that a couple of times and won easily; a) I had all the necessary documentation and b) the plaintiffs never even showed up. In only one case did the former renter meet the court-stipulated terms of the settlement. Winning is one thing..collecting is quite another.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I did that a couple of times and won easily; a) I had all the necessary documentation and b) the plaintiffs never even showed up. In only one case did the former renter meet the court-stipulated terms of the settlement. Winning is one thing..collecting is quite another.
    Good!
    Yea, I believe the friend of mind who did the same had to do ALL of the investigative work. Meaning she had to track down their new address so they could be served with the papers. She even had a rental agency, one would think they would do all of the leg work in situations like these. What the hell is the point if they dont help out in times of need, do they just sit back and collect checks?

Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Good!
    Yea, I believe the friend of mind who did the same had to do ALL of the investigative work. Meaning she had to track down their new address so they could be served with the papers. She even had a rental agency, one would think they would do all of the leg work in situations like these. What the hell is the point if they dont help out in times of need, do they just sit back and collect checks?
    You just answered your own question. Why work for it if you don't have to?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Winning is one thing..collecting is quite another.
    and this is why I won't take them to court. These people wouldn't have a pot to piss in if it weren't for lack of due diligence and kind hearts. I told her that she's lucky she doesn't live in a box under a bridge. She told me that as long as there are people like me, she'll never live in a box under a bridge. She's right. As long as there are people that she can take advantage of, she will.
    Je suis prest

Blog Entries
    and this is why I won't take them to court. These people wouldn't have a pot to piss in if it weren't for lack of due diligence and kind hearts. I told her that she's lucky she doesn't live in a box under a bridge. She told me that as long as there are people like me, she'll never live in a box under a bridge. She's right. As long as there are people that she can take advantage of, she will.
    Monello's tenants did that - preyed on his good heart and charitable nature. Screwed him out of a good bit of money and left the place a wreck. Now it's strictly business, handled by a property manager that has no pity and doesn't want to hear any sob stories.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Has anyone tried the housing unit on base for renters? We had considered fully furnishing our in law apartment to rent when the power plant is shut down and a retired military man suggested we contact the housing office on base as there are higher ranking military that come here for weeks or months at a time and are looking for lodging nicer than hotels.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Didn't any of you landlords get landlords insurance? Seems it would be prudent to have coverage for tenant caused damages,

Screw that! I consider myself a nice guy but once you mess with my chit that goes out the window. Take them to court for nothing else than to inconvenience them and let their record show they are sh*tty people.

Members who have read this thread: 98