Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Renters

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Screw that! I consider myself a nice guy but once you mess with my chit that goes out the window. Take them to court for nothing else than to inconvenience them and let their record show they are sh*tty people.
    The "inconvenience" was entirely on me; not a single one of the deadbeat tenants I ever filed against showed up in court. The judgements were rendered against them but had little in the way of "teeth" that would make them enforceable. The only guy that ever paid off the court ordered compensation was a younger fella that genuinely felt really bad about what he'd done and wanted to make it right. Most simply don't care.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  2. #42
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    37,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    The "inconvenience" was entirely on me; not a single one of the deadbeat tenants I ever filed against showed up in court. The judgements were rendered against them but had little in the way of "teeth" that would make them enforceable. The only guy that ever paid off the court ordered compensation was a younger fella that genuinely felt really bad about what he'd done and wanted to make it right. Most simply don't care.
    This, and we don't live in MD, so the inconvenience was be on us. Karma's a bitch, and this will catch up with them.
    Je suis prest

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    We even had everything covered, in the event something broke. They didn't have to pay for anything to be repaired, and they didn't even do that. We're hoping we won't have to replace the floors. That's still an unknown. We're waiting to see if the guy working on the house can get rid of the dog piss odor. No, they were not supposed to have pets.
    I feel your pain...it was a "live it-learn it' lesson for me.
    Same here, I had all sorts of service contracts in place; yet no one ever said a word about mice.
    My tenant was a good tenant in that the rent was paid 1-2 before it was due; he maintained the yard/property, etc. How he could not be aware of the infestation is unimaginable...
    After rehabbing the house and adding addendums to the rental contract, I have new tenants.

  4. #44
    I've been lucky so far this year. We bought a house in California (the state, not the city) earlier this year and we have a property manager who has dealt with the issues. The first two months has us wondering what we got ourselves into...but everything seems to be running smoothly now. It seemed like every week I was talking to the property manager because of some issue (some of those I would have just fixed had I been living there) but a couple of problems were covered by the home warranty we got when we bought. But the past few months there has been almost no issues, so its just collecting checks and no unexpected bills or problems. And the renter has stated he wants to stay for a long time, so hopefully there will be no "damage" issues.
    Go back and search before you rock back that Pez dispenser of Stupid called a mouth. ~ Pete

  5. #45
    Awww, jeez Monello's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canaryville AKA St. Monello
    Posts
    7,122
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rommey View Post
    I've been lucky so far this year. We bought a house in California (the state, not the city) earlier this year and we have a property manager who has dealt with the issues. The first two months has us wondering what we got ourselves into...but everything seems to be running smoothly now. It seemed like every week I was talking to the property manager because of some issue (some of those I would have just fixed had I been living there) but a couple of problems were covered by the home warranty we got when we bought. But the past few months there has been almost no issues, so its just collecting checks and no unexpected bills or problems. And the renter has stated he wants to stay for a long time, so hopefully there will be no "damage" issues.
    When the lease is up, have the current tenant sign a 2 or more year lease. Extend a carrot by keeping the rent static for the entire rental period. It's cheaper to keep em.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

    Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    When the lease is up, have the current tenant sign a 2 or more year lease. Extend a carrot by keeping the rent static for the entire rental period. It's cheaper to keep em.
    We were considering a year-to-year lease with no change in the rental price. Hadn't thought of more than a one-year lease, so I'll check with the property manager and get her take on the situation.
    Go back and search before you rock back that Pez dispenser of Stupid called a mouth. ~ Pete

  7. #47
    If I may ...

    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I have been through the dog pee problem myself, I talked to the local service master Co and he told me to go the the pet store and get a few gallons of Enzymatic cleaner for dog pee and avoid the pee remover products that had bleach in them. I bought a 4 or 5 gallons at 50 bucks a crack, I used a backpack sprayer and just hosed down all the wood floors a few times..
    Wanna get rid of odors over the whole house? Get and use a whole house ozone generator. But be careful and follow the safety instructions as it can be potentially dangerous. https://www.odorfreemachines.com/ Spend a little now, save a bunch in the future.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    Wanna get rid of odors over the whole house? Get and use a whole house ozone generator. But be careful and follow the safety instructions as it can be potentially dangerous. https://www.odorfreemachines.com/ Spend a little now, save a bunch in the future.
    That's a good idea... The problem is solved in my home... But that would be a good avenue to travel if needed again.. Thanks.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  9. #49
    If I may ...

    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    That's a good idea... The problem is solved in my home... But that would be a good avenue to travel if needed again.. Thanks.
    No problemo mi amigo.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...



    Wanna get rid of odors over the whole house? Get and use a whole house ozone generator. But be careful and follow the safety instructions as it can be potentially dangerous. https://www.odorfreemachines.com/ Spend a little now, save a bunch in the future.
    Those ozone machines do a great job, but they are dangerous. We were looking into buying one, but hub has a friend with a Servpro franchise, who loaned us one. We had a chimney fire the winter before we sold our house, and didn't even know it. The downdraft from our two chimneys caused that burned odor, after the house was empty. Machine worked like a charm; like it never even happened. We are just lucky the house didn't burn down at the time.
    Last edited by littlelady; 10-06-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Members who have read this thread: 98

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |