Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Renters

Registered User acommondisaster's Avatar
    We just sold our rental in the 'Dorf to a flipper. We realized things had gone downhill when we got a notice from the county that they were placing a lien on the house for a $500 unpaid water bill - note to mAlice - we were able to get all of the late fees, etc taken off by asking them if we were ultimately responsible for our tenant's bill, why didnt we receive notice when it was unpaid? So apparently the water had been turned off quite awhile - long enough that they'd gone out and bought a camp toilet - since they weren't paying for trash pickup, the full bags from the camp toilet were piled up waist high in the bathroom, and in the shower. We took 3200 lbs of trash to the dump, not including every appliance, aired it out. Thought about fixing it up ourselves before selling, but after the 3rd break in (and there was nothing in the place to steal), we hung it up and took the first offer. No more renters. Ever.
    Chaos breathes life into routine.

Quote Originally Posted by acommondisaster View Post
    We just sold our rental in the 'Dorf to a flipper. We realized things had gone downhill when we got a notice from the county that they were placing a lien on the house for a $500 unpaid water bill - note to mAlice - we were able to get all of the late fees, etc taken off by asking them if we were ultimately responsible for our tenant's bill, why didnt we receive notice when it was unpaid? So apparently the water had been turned off quite awhile - long enough that they'd gone out and bought a camp toilet - since they weren't paying for trash pickup, the full bags from the camp toilet were piled up waist high in the bathroom, and in the shower. We took 3200 lbs of trash to the dump, not including every appliance, aired it out. Thought about fixing it up ourselves before selling, but after the 3rd break in (and there was nothing in the place to steal), we hung it up and took the first offer. No more renters. Ever.
    Ohmygeez! That is the worst renter story, yet, on this thread! What is wrong with people? Sheesh!

We thought we would have to rent out if the house didn't sell in a timely manner. Thank the Lawd that it sold; considering there were 67 houses for sale in St. Leonard when we put it on the market. I appreciate, and count my blessings every.single.day.
    Last edited by littlelady; 10-06-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    Ohmygeez! That is the worst renter story, yet, on this thread! What is wrong with people? Sheesh!

We thought we would have to rent out if the house didn't sell in a timely manner. Thank the Lawd that it sold; considering there were 67 houses for sale in St. Leonard when we put it on the market. I appreciate, and count my blessings every.single.day.
    I could have gone into more detail about the dog left in the house for 2 weeks, or the mattresses filled with maggots left on the front lawn, but I didnt want to ruin anyone's dinner.

Blog Entries
    Same here. My house was destroyed after only 18 months with my last renters. The issue was not "damage" as it was filth. Boogers smeared on the bedroom walls, dirty line about kid hight up and down the hall, grease spot in the back where poured grease off the deck when they finally stopped pouring it down the drain and clogging the pipe and drain field, dog piss carpet, 1,700 pounds of trash and junk in the yard. Anything they didn't want because it was broken trashed, dirty or not needed got left because taking out their trash was not their problem.

So when it comes to damages the court is very landlord averse, it has to be actually broken and not a wear and tear item. Paint, wear and tear, carpet, wear and tear, filth is a state not broken.

I will not rent out again unless I absolutely had to and if I did I would demand a much higher security deposit, do monthly walk throughs and be a total ass about ANYTHING I did not like. I also would not cut anyone a break of any sort. In the price range I was renting in EVERYONE had a sad offing story and "circumstances". The renters who screwed me were like that and I cut them a break. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So when it comes to damages the court is very landlord averse, it has to be actually broken and not a wear and tear item. Paint, wear and tear, carpet, wear and tear, filth is a state not broken.
    Not even entitled to costs for reimbursement for the cleanup costs?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Not even entitled to costs for reimbursement for the cleanup costs?
    It's hit or miss. Of course the question is do you want to spend hours preparing the documents, getting them served, sitting in court and then them still not paying which means more court for a "maybe".

It's hit or miss. Of course the question is do you want to spend hours preparing the documents, getting them served, sitting in court and then them still not paying which means more court for a "maybe".
    And I'm guessing if you have landlord insurance, they won't pay off until you're done the above. ^

I rented a room to a buddy while he went thru a tough time. he was good, wasn't even in town most of the time, but I just got a weird feeling with someone else's stuff in my house and not having full run and control over my own house. I'll never do it again, and have no intentions of ever renting the house, especially after these stories.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Same here. My house was destroyed after only 18 months with my last renters. The issue was not "damage" as it was filth. Boogers smeared on the bedroom walls, dirty line about kid hight up and down the hall, grease spot in the back where poured grease off the deck when they finally stopped pouring it down the drain and clogging the pipe and drain field, dog piss carpet, 1,700 pounds of trash and junk in the yard. Anything they didn't want because it was broken trashed, dirty or not needed got left because taking out their trash was not their problem.

I will not rent out again unless I absolutely had to and if I did I would demand a much higher security deposit, do monthly walk throughs and be a total ass about ANYTHING I did not like. I also would not cut anyone a break of any sort. In the price range I was renting in EVERYONE had a sad offing story and "circumstances". The renters who screwed me were like that and I cut them a break. Never again.
    Our renter was ok for 3 years. Didn't keep the house as clean as we'd like it and had to be reminded not to park the cars on the grass, but for the most part, we couldn't really complain. Neighbors seemed to like her and her kids were decent. Things went downhill pretty fast when she got involved in drugs. There was no use taking her to court, she lost her job and was destitute. Sad, really, for all of us.

And you are absolutely right - every law protects the renter, but there's very little that protects the landlord. I've heard nightmare stories about people trying to get renters like ours evicted - we were lucky, she moved out when we told her she had to go.

Members who have read this thread: 98