Joshua 6 And the walls came down

seekeroftruth

Joshua 6:20 When the trumpets sounded, the army shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the men gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so everyone charged straight in, and they took the city. 21 They devoted the city to the Lord and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys.​

I got this from bible.org.

Some interpreters claim that an earthquake caused the destruction. If so, it was a remarkable miracle of timing and localization since the camp at Gilgal (a little more than a mile away) and Rahab’s house remained intact.

[video=youtube;pYT1Rb2wkQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYT1Rb2wkQw[/video]

:coffee:

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
An "earthquake" powerful enough to completely level the walls of the city Jericho, and that only affected the very small acreage of Jericho itself (about 500 ft x 1500 feet - about 18 acres roughly), and was not felt or recorded by the Israelites just a hundred yards or so outside the walls, maybe closer, without God's intervention, would be a far greater "miracle". Simply believe that God Himself did exactly what he planned to when His people follow His command. That is His promise.

Last edited:

seekeroftruth

An "earthquake" powerful enough to completely level the walls of the city Jericho, and that only affected the very small acreage of Jericho itself (about 500 ft x 1500 feet - about 18 acres roughly), and was not felt or recorded by the Israelites just a hundred yards or so outside the walls, maybe closer, would be a far greater "miracle" than simply believing that God Himself did exactly what he planned to when His people follow His command.

How would that explain Rahab's house being left in tact? I buy that Jericho is a God made event either way. Earthquake being a tool used by God, or God using only vibration and noise to bring the walls down, would still keep it the God made event that the Bible says it was.

A very localized quake was the result right?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
How would that explain Rahab's house being left in tact? I buy that Jericho is a God made event either way. Earthquake being a tool used by God, or God using only vibration and noise to bring the walls down, would still keep it the God made event that the Bible says it was.

A very localized quake was the result right?

Rereading my post, I can see your confusion. I should have phrased it differently. Run on sentences have a way of doing that. I changed it in the OP just now.

I tend to not go the earthquake route, as some imply. The simple fact that only Rahab's house in that section of the wall remained intact, and the Israeli camp a Gilgal, only a mile away, remained intact also, with no recording or mention of any earthquake. It was a miracle - apparently the holy soundwaves from the trumpets and the shout of the faithful, coupled with God's intervention, did the job.

God does things His way, whether one believes or not.

Last edited:

seekeroftruth

Rereading my post, I can see your confusion. I should have phrased it differently. Run on sentences have a way of doing that. I changed it in the OP just now.

I tend to not go the earthquake route, as some imply. The simple fact that only Rahab's house in that section of the wall remained intact, and the Israeli camp a Gilgal, only a mile away, remained intact also, with no recording or mention of any earthquake. It was a miracle - apparently the holy soundwaves from the trumpets and the shout of the faithful, coupled with God's intervention, did the job.

God does things His way, whether one believes or not.

I'm so happy God does these kind of things....

These are the sorts of passages I struggled with when I was an unbeliever, and still continue to struggle with as a Christian. God shows mercy to me, a sinner, but also can choose to show his justice to others like in this section of Joshua. Like was stated above, God will do what He chooses, regardless of whether I like it or understand it. I still tend to want to make God in the image I want Him to be which is a sin.

I think what I need to do (and thanks for your help with this) is to focus on Israel instead of the surrounding kingdoms.

seekeroftruth

These are the sorts of passages I struggled with when I was an unbeliever, and still continue to struggle with as a Christian. God shows mercy to me, a sinner, but also can choose to show his justice to others like in this section of Joshua. Like was stated above, God will do what He chooses, regardless of whether I like it or understand it. I still tend to want to make God in the image I want Him to be which is a sin.

I think what I need to do (and thanks for your help with this) is to focus on Israel instead of the surrounding kingdoms.

I know exactly what you mean. The Bible is a little easier to understand when I focus on the people involved.