That's a serious amount of wind power...

Clem72

I like the idea of wind power in concept. But seems like half the turbines I see on land are broken down or shut off. Can't imagine being pelted with salty sea water spray all day will help the MTBF.

Clem72

I imagine those large ones are more complicated. Computer controlled baffling and motors to move them around, high current transformers, etc. But I built several for fun when I was younger using old car rotors and wooden propellers. I encased the windings and the magnets in epoxy and used shielded bearings, so short of having the blades blown off/broken there was really no maintenance and no expectation that they would break. But for whatever reason these super large high efficiency ones are fragile as hell.

More than fragile, those huge ones are subject to unbelievable stresses. The larger and heavy they are, the greater the stress on any given point and the higher the failure rate.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I would say that's why we let the Europeans spent their capital over the last 30 years (?) refining the technology. They worked out the majority of the design flaws and bugs on their nickel.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I would say that's why we let the Europeans spent their capital over the last 30 years (?) refining the technology. They worked out the majority of the design flaws and bugs on their nickel.

Yep. And they are still investing huge sums in anything that increases reliability. And with over 4000 offshore turbines in operation, they've learned a lot.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
20 years from now, NY's rusted wind turbines will be on the cover of Popular Mechanics, with the headline.. Where did they go wrong!?

NY and liberals in general love these pie in the sky idea(l)s, but never reveal nor plan for the true cost of their Nirvana Machines..

They'll plan for 1/3rd of the maintenance costs they really need, then when the time comes they'll divert 1/2 of that to the newest liberal craze..

Only thing I'm not 100% sure of: Will it be 20 years, or much sooner?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
20 years from now, NY's rusted wind turbines will be on the cover of Popular Mechanics, with the headline.. Where did they go wrong!?

NY and liberals in general love these pie in the sky idea(l)s, but never reveal nor plan for the true cost of their Nirvana Machines..

They'll plan for 1/3rd of the maintenance costs they really need, then when the time comes they'll divert 1/2 of that to the newest liberal craze..

Only thing I'm not 100% sure of: Will it be 20 years, or much sooner?

Yet the European, Taiwan, Chines, Indonesian, Scandinavian etc etc operations are proving to be extraordinarily well managed and economically viable.

But that cannot happen here?

BTW..one of the first European offshore wind farms (it was roughly 25 years old I believe) was recently dismantled...and that project was used to develop and certify new processes, procedures and equipment for doing so expeditiously and safely. They're investing in every aspect of the industry..for the long haul.

The states currently setting up to have large offshore windfarms cover pretty much the entire mid-Atlantic seaboard...it ain't just New York state.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yet the European, Taiwan, Chines, Indonesian, Scandinavian etc etc operations are proving to be extraordinarily well managed and economically viable.

But that cannot happen here?

BTW..one of the first European offshore wind farms (it was roughly 25 years old I believe) was recently dismantled...and that project was used to develop and certify new processes, procedures and equipment for doing so expeditiously and safely. They're investing in every aspect of the industry..for the long haul.

The states currently setting up to have large offshore windfarms cover pretty much the entire mid-Atlantic seaboard...it ain't just New York state.

Will NEVER happen in NY..

There was a story out a few years back.. They installed new HVAC systems in the NYC public schools.. cost of well over 100 Million.. EVERY year they diverted the money needed to maintain the systems for other pet projects. Engineers, and even janitors begged and pleaded that the systems HAD to be maintained they had to have the money for what it was intended for. No, they had to spend the money on things like.. removing sodas from lunch rooms.. money for LGBTQ acceptance in Sex Ed classes.. and the list goes on and on.

5 years later they were screaming to the state and feds that they needed another 100 Million to replace the HVAC systems they didn't maintain.. that should have lasted at LEAST 20 years.

SO what makes anyone think the wind farms will be any different?? Fed Government sends them 100M to maintain the wind farms.. and money goes to fund sex change operations for their inmates instead.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
SO what makes anyone think the wind farms will be any different?? Fed Government sends them 100M to maintain the wind farms.. and money goes to fund sex change operations for their inmates instead.

So you are certain that what is working in Europe cannot work here even though it will be the exact same companies and equipment doing it? Off of every state involved.

Your analogy is stretched too...you are comparing municipal/state activities with private for-profit power utilities.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So you are certain that what is working in Europe cannot work here even though it will be the exact same companies and equipment doing it? Off of every state involved.

Your analogy is stretched too...you are comparing municipal/state activities with private for-profit power utilities.

New York State has asked the federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) to consider identifying and leasing at least four new wind energy areas off New York’s Atlantic Coast.

The state is already involved, so the bureaucracy that is NY will definitely not let this end well..

Once the private/ for profit entities show a profit, NY and NYC will want a bigger piece of the pie..

MY PREDICTION is yes, it will not be as successful in the long term, as other projects in other parts of the world, and I'll stand by my above predictions.. No matter what you do, who you are, are what for-profit entity that you are the bureaucracy and corruption that is NY, will ruin you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
New York State has asked the federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) to consider identifying and leasing at least four new wind energy areas off New York’s Atlantic Coast.

The state is already involved, so the bureaucracy that is NY will definitely not let this end well..

Both state and Fed agencies are involved, perpetually, in all such projects. Always have been. Always will be. The Feds ultimately have jurisdiction over the matter but won't override the state's involvement and decisions in most cases. Does not matter if its oil, gas, coal, wind...whatever. Same goes pretty much for those 4000+ turbines operating offshore in Europe and Scandinavia.

Bottom line too: It's happening here and soon..the first batch of deals are done. ;-)

And while you focused only on NY, the projects taking off along the coastlines of other states are just as large.

View attachment Today in Energy - U_S.pdf

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member

Once the private/ for profit entities show a profit, NY and NYC will want a bigger piece of the pie..

MY PREDICTION is yes, it will not be as successful in the long term, as other projects in other parts of the world, and I'll stand by my above predictions.. No matter what you do, who you are, are what for-profit entity that you are the bureaucracy and corruption that is NY, will ruin you.

Atlas Shrugged? As a native New Yorker and current property owner I agree with you when it comes to NY. But I also agree with Gilligan that offshore wind farms can and do work in many areas. New York is a liberal cesspool of politicians and social nannies who are adept at spending others money. When the till runs low they just add taxes and fees or hit up businesses for a larger portion of their profits. There is a fairly large wind farm where my property is located (Jericho Rise). It is of questionable success but they are currently in application for additional turbines so there must be profit. I support the offshore since the turbines will not dominate the skyline in beautiful rural areas as they do now.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not a big fan of the onshore turbines primarily because they are ugly IMO. I'm in Denmark working offshore again; the country is covered with onshore turbines everywhere, but you cannot see the offshore farms from any point on the shoreline.

Denmark gets around 40% of their electrical power from wind energy.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm not a big fan of the onshore turbines primarily because they are ugly IMO. I'm in Denmark working offshore again; the country is covered with onshore turbines everywhere, but you cannot see the offshore farms from any point on the shoreline.

Denmark gets around 40% of their electrical power from wind energy.

What is the cost per kwh to their customers?

black dog

Free America
I like the idea of wind power in concept. But seems like half the turbines I see on land are broken down or shut off. Can't imagine being pelted with salty sea water spray all day will help the MTBF.

I don't see any of that out here, I live about 10 miles from the Wild cat wind farm and it has 125 windmills producing 200 mw and I drive through the Meadows wind farm west of me often and it's rare I see a unit being worked on or a crain on-site for repairs, I believe Meadows is done phase 2 and that's 65+ windmills producing 1,000 MW.
I believe what's being built now, is nothing like even 10 years ago..