Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Incompetence defined

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    Oh the horror of having a strong national identity.
    :irony defined:

but its wrong for 'Americans' to be Proud of America
    clueless as usual
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Every referendum they have had, they reject it in favor of statehood. By a LOT.
    all the money ... non of the responsibility
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    The US's bond rating dropped in 2011 and the reasons behind the drop have yet to change. Back in June, Illinois became the worst state (shocker) with a bond rating of BBB.

Given that bond ratings essentially rate credit risk, and the fact that our debt keeps growing, a plan to reduce taxes (thus, revenue), and loads of unfunded pensions, failing Social Security, and failing Medicare as examples, I think it's silly to buy US bonds. What's the definition of insanity?
    A huge difference between the Federal government, PR and any of the 50 states, is that the Federal Government can print more money and go farther in debt because apparently no amount of trillions is too much to be in debt. States don't have that luxury...they have to essentially live within their means, which most do within reason (i.e., manageable debt).
    Go back and search before you rock back that Pez dispenser of Stupid called a mouth. ~ Pete

Blog Entries
    Oh the horror of having a strong national identity.
    Who said there was anything wrong with having a national identity?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Silly rabbit... it's only bad when we (US citizens) have a strong national identity.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

You did. You said the have a strong national identity which is not American.

I doubt you know many Puerto ricans

You did. You said the have a strong national identity which is not American.

I doubt you know many Puerto ricans
    I do though!..including one of my oldest friends. He, his family and his PR friends very obviously have a very strong "national identity" ad Puerto Ricans. Fiercely so, even.

He's the guy that I get all the first-hand reports of what's happening down there from.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    You did.
    Where?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Based on the title, is this thread entirely about Sappy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I read very carefully your attempted rebuttal of Vrai's post. ;-)
    Okay, good. So it's your lack of comprehension then. As evidenced by your idea my post was a "rebuttal" and not a simple statement of fact.

My understanding is that unincorporated territories enjoy some, but not all, rights under our Constitution. Feel free to correct me if I have it wrong.

But that is neither here nor there. Puerto Ricans do differentiate themselves from those living in the US. It's not merely a race thing, it is a cultural thing and they do have a very strong national identity in PR.
    You are correct.

I'm not doubting they call themselves Puerto Ricans or have strong identity, just that their citizens are considered Americans. You asked when they became a state. They didn't, but are still Americans (albeit with limited Constitutionals rights).
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Members who have read this thread: 62