Gun control legislation is meaningless, says gun control advocate

This_person

Leah Libresco said:
I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.

When I looked at the other oft-praised policies, I found out that no gun owner walks into the store to buy an “assault weapon.” It’s an invented classification that includes any semi-automatic that has two or more features, such as a bayonet mount, a rocket-propelled grenade-launcher mount, a folding stock or a pistol grip. But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos…

As my co-workers and I kept looking at the data, it seemed less and less clear that one broad gun-control restriction could make a big difference. Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are suicides. Almost no proposed restriction would make it meaningfully harder for people with guns on hand to use them. I couldn’t even answer my most desperate question: If I had a friend who had guns in his home and a history of suicide attempts, was there anything I could do that would help?

You could, theoretically, cut down on all these deaths with a blanket removal of guns from the U.S. entirely — something that is as politically unlikely as it is legally untenable. Barring that, though, policies aimed at reducing gun deaths will likely need to be targeted at the specific people who commit or are victimized by those incidents. And mass shootings just aren’t a good proxy for the diversity of gun violence. Policies that reduce the number of homicides among young black men — such as programs that build trust between community members, police and at-risk youth and offer people a way out of crime — probably won’t have the same effect on suicides among elderly white men. Background checks and laws aimed at preventing a young white man with a history of domestic violence from obtaining a gun and using it in a mass shooting might not prevent a similar shooting by an older white male with no criminal record.

The statistician, mining data to prove gun control works learned exactly the opposite is the truth.

Like all liberal policies, their belief is diametrically opposed to reality. This one just learned it, and that's a good thing.

SamSpade

Stale as this may sound - we have to return to a society where killing anyone is as repugnant as torturing children. It's not for no reason that pedophiles don't last long even in *prison*.
Some things are just repulsive to even the most hardened criminals.

I'm not sure how that happens. Violent crime occurs all over the world, and even where guns are scarce, we have nations where crime is light and where crime is very high.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Stale as this may sound - we have to return to a society where killing anyone is as repugnant as torturing children. It's not for no reason that pedophiles don't last long even in *prison*.
Some things are just repulsive to even the most hardened criminals.

I'm not sure how that happens. Violent crime occurs all over the world, and even where guns are scarce, we have nations where crime is light and where crime is very high.

In places like Chicago, I can't see the culture ever changing so much that shooting is no longer simply a routine response to so many things. It is deeply entrenched...permanent.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It is deeply entrenched...permanent.

Inner City Gang Bangers ... gnags'ta rap videos

###### look at you in an ill perceived manner - bust a cap in his ass
###### disrespecting your 'HO - bust a cap in his ass
###### got a street corner you want - bust a cap in his ass

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Inner City Gang Bangers ... gnags'ta rap videos

###### look at you in an ill perceived manner - bust a cap in his ass
###### disrespecting your 'HO - bust a cap in his ass
###### got a street corner you want - bust a cap in his ass

It's even spilled over in to nature...the insect world even...

[video=youtube;sHzdsFiBbFc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc[/video]

Clem72

At least using these countries as data-sets makes sense given they are closed systems, unlike trying to cite individual cities (like Baltimore) the have strict gun control laws. I heard an analogy I liked that said something along the lines of "outlawing guns in Baltimore is like outlawing peeing in one corner of the pool".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Statement just issued from NRA makes it pretty clear that they view the banning of slide-fire stocks as an acceptable sacrificial lamb to get the leftards to shut up and go away again.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Statement just issued from NRA makes it pretty clear that they view the banning of slide-fire stocks as an acceptable sacrificial lamb to get the leftards to shut up and go away again.

But they won't shut up and go away. They'll just come back whining for more concessions.

black dog

Free America

Thanks Wayne LaPierre, For once again folding like a cheap suit with our gun rights.
One would think for 972,000 dollars a year you would actually make a better argument.
The NRA will never get another thin dime from me.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Thanks Wayne LaPierre, For once again folding like a cheap suit with our gun rights.
One would think for 972,000 dollars a year you would actually make a better argument.

Actually, I think it is the right thing. Gun owners have their guns, and are comfortable with them, and are ready to use them, if needed. And, I will go so far as to say, that many Americans with guns would protect the ones that chose not to have guns; if push comes to shove. I think the NRA giving in to side-fire stocks is very smart. They are not needed in the scheme of things. I will pay the other half of your thin dime. :smile:

black dog

Free America
Actually, I think it is the right thing. Gun owners have their guns, and are comfortable with them, and are ready to use them, if needed. And, I will go so far as to say, that many Americans with guns would protect the ones that chose not to have guns; if push comes to shove. I think the NRA giving in to side-fire stocks is very smart. They are not needed in the scheme of things. I will pay the other half of your thin dime. :smile:

Give away your own god given Rights, not other folks Rights.
It's ironic that for someone that spouts off about being a Patriot would have that opinion.. Just because it's not something super hubby wants doesn't mean that the family across the street from you can't have 5 of them..
It's ironic that the Federal Government and 30+ States allow it's citizens to own Machine Guns and Destructive Devices and here's a stupid buttstock that allows a semi-auto firearm to shoot faster but it's still semi-auto to be banned..
Maybe Congress should go back and make those Indian, Mexican killing semi auto hand crank multi barreled Gatling guns banned also..
Good laws are not made with feelings..

And Marylanders don't have full gun rights, there is over 80 firearms that are not sold any longer in Maryland. Marylands not a shall issue carry permit State.
Think about the fact that in Maryland you can buy a transferable M14, A1M16, MP5 , G3 and many other Machine Guns but you can't be trusted to buy the semi auto version any longer because it's banned.. And let's not mention the really stupid magazine laws..

And as far as the NRA giving in, they don't make laws here, The Legislative Branch of the Government takes care of that.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
It's ironic that for someone that spouts off about being a Patriot would have that opinion.. Just because it's not something super hubby wants doesn't mean that the family across the street from you can't have 5 of them..
It's ironic that the Federal Government and 30+ States allow it's citizens to own Machine Guns and Destructive Devices and here's a stupid buttstock that allows a semi-auto firearm to shoot faster but it's still semi-auto to be banned..
Maybe Congress should go back and make those Indian, Mexican killing semi auto hand crank multi barreled Gatling guns banned also..

Is your 'ignore'' button not working? This is why no one takes you seriously. I know I don't. You said, hours earlier, that you put me on ignore. :killingme:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I think if you were giving up something while also getting something in return, this is one that's safe. the parts to build a bump stop are about five bucks and ten minutes of time.

black dog

Free America
I think if you were giving up something while also getting something in return, this is one that's safe. the parts to build a bump stop are about five bucks and ten minutes of time.

You are certainly entitled to your believes sir, but me... I'm tired of giving another inch.
Very seldom does the Second Amendment move forward, we always loose.
And personally I could care less about bumpfires, but maybe my son or later generations will want them..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lol...

gun collection 6.jpg

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
You are certainly entitled to your believes sir, but me... I'm tired of giving another inch.
Very seldom does the Second Amendment move forward, we always loose.
And personally I could care less about bumpfires, but maybe my son or later generations will want them..

you missed the part about getting something in return. I'd like something along the lines of national reciprocity.

black dog

Free America
you missed the part about getting something in return. I'd like something along the lines of national reciprocity.

I don't flex nor am I willing to trade on my God given Rights.. if you believe that this will just be about bumpfires you better wake up..
If this actually goes anywhere ( I don't believe it will ) it will not be just bumpfire stocks, it will include all aftermarket accessories that enhance fire controls, from the old hellfires and BMF Activator hand crank to the modern binary triggers.

black dog

Free America

Give away your own god given Rights, not other folks Rights.

And Marylanders don't have full gun rights, there is over 80 firearms that are not sold any longer in Maryland. Marylands not a shall issue carry permit State.
Think about the fact that in Maryland you can buy a transferable M14, A1M16, MP5 , G3 and many other Machine Guns but you can't be trusted to buy the semi auto version any longer because it's banned.. And let's not mention the really stupid magazine laws..

And as far as the NRA giving in, they don't make laws here, The Legislative Branch of the Government takes care of that.

Is your 'ignore'' button not working? This is why no one takes you seriously. I know I don't. You said, hours earlier, that you put me on ignore. :killingme:

That's the extent of your educated response,, yet again you have no conception of this topic at all...None..