Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elon Musk Wants to Power Puerto Rico

Elon Musk Wants to Power Puerto Rico

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/05/news...rid/index.html

Musk, the CEO of electric-car maker Tesla (TSLA), suggested his company's solar power unit could be a long-term solution.

"The Tesla team has done this for many smaller islands around the world, but there is no scalability limit, so it can be done for Puerto Rico," Musk tweeted Thursday morning, adding that the decision is up to Puerto Rican government officials.

They didn't take long to respond.

"@elonMusk Let's talk. Do you want to show the world the power and scalability of your #TeslaTechnologies? PR could be that flagship project," Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló tweeted Thursday night.

A Tesla-powered system would be a complete reversal for Puerto Rico's energy grid. Right now, the island imports and burns oil to generate electricity.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    I guess it kind of stuns me that they don't already have solar power.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I guess it kind of stuns me that they don't already have solar power.
    There could be a number of reasons. 1st off, "if it ain't broke..." Before the storm, the infrastructure was working, and would have cost money they didn't have. A 2nd reason could be because it's an island, and land space is at a premium. Solar farms can take up vast amounts of land.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

sounds like a good way to make lemonade out of all the lemons they've been handed (assuming there isn't an astronomical price tag that goes with it.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terbear1225 View Post
    sounds like a good way to make lemonade out of all the lemons they've been handed (assuming there isn't an astronomical price tag that goes with it.)
    It would pay for itself in the long run. I'm still amazed that a Caribbean island isn't already employing solar power. It's an abundant natural resource.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

You know that he (Musk) won't do it out of the kindness of his heart. He's an entrepreneur after all.....
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    There could be a number of reasons. 1st off, "if it ain't broke..." Before the storm, the infrastructure was working, and would have cost money they didn't have. A 2nd reason could be because it's an island, and land space is at a premium. Solar farms can take up vast amounts of land.
    I disagree..

Imagine the Solar Farm in Hughesville (?) instead of taking up all that land put the panels on proper facing roofs.. giving people grants, or reduced electric (like Solar City, a Tesla Company does).. I think to make palatable you'd have to offer more than just $25 a month in savings, and MD would have to change the laws so you can produce MORE than you need.

You don't need land for solar.. just a platform or a place to put it.

I always thought Hughesville a HUGE waste of land and opportunity.. all the money they spent for it, and the maintenance probably could have 2 or 3 times as many panels on either private or commercial properties..

Even Land though.. I have a 4 acre flat lot that would be perfect.. I can't load the land with Solar Panels because I'm NOT allowed to make a profit off of energy production (another Brilliant Liberal Law).. but if SMECO came and said HEY, we'll give you a percentage of the profit made on the energy produced by the panels we'll install out here.. I'd be all for it.. I'd even agree to do basic maintenance.. like keeping the grass down, and rinsing the panels in June..
    Last edited by itsbob; 10-06-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    You know that he (Musk) won't do it out of the kindness of his heart. He's an entrepreneur after all.....
    That's okay. Win/win is how the functional world works. We are not Communists.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    if it does work out well, he has a solid way to advertise his product. Could result in m/billions of dollars in future sales for him.

Blog Entries
    if it does work out well, he has a solid way to advertise his product. Could result in m/billions of dollars in future sales for him.
    If he uses the Solar City business model Puerto Rico would be worth billions to him in "free Solar Panels!"
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Members who have read this thread: 44