Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Economy lost more jobs then it created for the first time in 7 years

  1. #21
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    32,730
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    As for hurricanes in the past, of course we've had hurricanes and all sorts of natural disasters. But the timing of these two and the size of these two directly impacted the report. Much of TX was down and almost all of FL were essentially out of business during the survey period.

    Again, not that hard to understand---if you make an effort to understand.


    as was explained in multiple news stories .... but thanks for correcting Sappy
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  2. #22
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    32,730
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    ..... but quote sources (GURPS) and articles that are easily proven false, misleading or seriously out of context.
    yea you blather on, posting NOT facts only hyperbole ....
    everyone NOT you or sharing YOUR Version of events is stupid or a moron

    (Just look at the shooting in Las Vegas. 59 people died. Are you all discussing ways to alleviate this issue? No. You all immediately start talking about how many back people are shot in Chicago...as if that somehow justifies a white guy slaughtering people.)
    Oh Please ......
    - what Gun Laws would have prevented Las Vegas
    - Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws of any DEMOCRATIC RUN City


    59 people killed in Vegas is Tragic ... as tragic as 59 blacks killed in Chicago in a month
    you cannot stop evil people doing evil things ..... 250 million plus guns in America 13,000 gun related deaths [half suicides]
    not in 1 / 100 of a percent used in murders and you gun grabbing freaks say GUNS are the problem

    None of them are being solved because we have an incompetent narcissist in the White House.
    NOTHING was solved by the last narcissist either ... the last person that SHOULD be elected PRESIDENT is the person(s) that WANT to be President

    Obama's inexperience is a valid point. Trump has less experience. If you think Obama was ill prepared, then what is Trump?



    Obama hadn't run so much as a lemon aid stand
    Last edited by GURPS; 10-07-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Oh Please ......
    - what Gun Laws would have prevented Las Vegas
    - Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws of any DEMOCRATIC RUN City


    59 people killed in Vegas is Tragic ... as tragic as 59 blacks killed in Chicago in a month
    you cannot stop evil people doing evil things ..... 250 million plus guns in America 13,000 gun related deaths [half suicides]
    not in 1 / 100 of a percent used in murders and you gun grabbing freaks say GUNS are the problem
    I'm glad YOU posted this, because I was about to write this.

    The segue into a month in Chicago is interpreted as deflection - but it's highly relevant.
    A city with very restrictive gun control laws has absolutely no effect at all on the prevalence of guns and zero effectiveness in lower gun crime.
    When 59 people are killed all at once, it makes news and is sensational - but dozens killed on weekends regularly - whose totals mount in the THOUSANDS - are clearly the bigger picture.

    The left keeps repeating the same solutions which in the United States has proven continually not to work.
    Across the globe, examples are given of mass shootings and subsequent legislation against guns followed by lowered incidence of attacks - and hailed as "success" -
    ignoring the fact that they didn't happen that much BEFORE. The one thing I seem to see is that gun violence seems to be in patterns in places across the world -
    and that laws against guns make no difference. If there was gun violence before, laws change nothing. If there wasn't a lot before, surprise, it doesn't happen much afterward.

    If the left wants to "do something" - find something that WORKS. Because doing something that doesn't work is actually WORSE than nothing, because you make a big effort to DO something when you could have made a difference instead.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I'm glad YOU posted this, because I was about to write this.

    The segue into a month in Chicago is interpreted as deflection - but it's highly relevant.
    A city with very restrictive gun control laws has absolutely no effect at all on the prevalence of guns and zero effectiveness in lower gun crime.
    When 59 people are killed all at once, it makes news and is sensational - but dozens killed on weekends regularly - whose totals mount in the THOUSANDS - are clearly the bigger picture.

    The left keeps repeating the same solutions which in the United States has proven continually not to work.
    Across the globe, examples are given of mass shootings and subsequent legislation against guns followed by lowered incidence of attacks - and hailed as "success" -
    ignoring the fact that they didn't happen that much BEFORE. The one thing I seem to see is that gun violence seems to be in patterns in places across the world -
    and that laws against guns make no difference. If there was gun violence before, laws change nothing. If there wasn't a lot before, surprise, it doesn't happen much afterward.

    If the left wants to "do something" - find something that WORKS. Because doing something that doesn't work is actually WORSE than nothing, because you make a big effort to DO something when you could have made a difference instead.
    Excellent summation. You just made libprog heads explode; at least, the fragments that are 'left'. Pun intended.
    Last edited by littlelady; 10-07-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    You did a bing search? Good for you, baby steps. Did you read any of the articles or just look at the pictures?
    You are not as smart as you think you are.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    That's pretty easy.

    We need to bring this country back to the center.

    You and your right wing cronies on here think that yours is the ONLY position. You are wrong. You think everyone who doesn't look, speak and pray like you do are Un-American. You are WRONG.

    Trump is a disaster...anybody with common sense and a grounded outlook can see that. Since none of you possess any common sense or seem to possess the ability to think, Trump is your hero. He doesn't understand the history or founding of this country any more than you do (your personal level of knowledge is atrocious).

    You all think CNN and MSNBC are "fake" but quote sources (GURPS) and articles that are easily proven false, misleading or seriously out of context. That you can point to a left wing source that does the same thing does not make your quoting of propagandist right wing sources correct or appropriate.

    We have significant problems in this country. You idiots are too busy staring at whatever shiny object Trump holds in his hand. (Just look at the shooting in Las Vegas. 59 people died. Are you all discussing ways to alleviate this issue? No. You all immediately start talking about how many back people are shot in Chicago...as if that somehow justifies a white guy slaughtering people.) We need to reform Medicare and Medicaid. We need to reform Social Security. We need to place governors on these fast becoming monopolies (think Amazon, Google, etc.). We need to rebuild our standing in the world. We need to do something about opiods and inner city unemployment. We need to fix our budget issues (and no JUST cutting taxes will NOT solve the problem, nor does JUST cutting taxes for the wealthy spur overall growth).

    We have significant problems. None of them are being solved because we have an incompetent narcissist in the White House. The man has no idea what he is doing. He has no idea how to speak. He doesn't give a sh* t about you or anyone else. The Presidency to him is nothing more than a marketing campaign for his hotels and golf courses.

    Where do I want to transport us to? To a point where our leaders do two things; 1. lead and 2. work together to solve the problems that face us.

    That will never happen as long as we have an electorate infested with weak minded individuals like the ones on here.
    Well said unfortunately this guy is white, and his constant denigration of them makes these people feel like their fear of immigrants, Black people, gays and anyone different from them is acceptable.

    A lot of emasculated men like him because he is brash and is their idea of a rich person despite his lack of class, education and concern for anyone but himself.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Why are we so fixated on finding anything to support our thinking, regardless of the larger facts? We are still struggling to rebound from the economic collapse in 2008. What led up to this collapse is far too complicated to place blame anywhere, and should be more accurately placed on our federal government in general. Although Obama was a senator when it happened, he inherited the mess, and was ill-prepared to deal with it. Actually, his actions in pushing healthcare reform first, rather than address the economic crisis, was a clear message to me that the recession wasn't all that important to him.

    The overall economy has responded positively to Trump's election. Nearly every economic marker has spiked up. This solely on the premise of speculation that Trump will lower taxes, reduce spending, and drain the swamp that has corrupted our government that has led to our economic demise. So, I wouldn't view anything, positive or negative, as having any tangible evidence to what's really happening with our economy. The GOP (being in the majority) need to get things done and stop the bickering, or our economy will flounder, as it did under Obama.
    Yeah that dumb Obama. He really screwed up the economy. Jeez. You will blame a black man for anything won’t you?

    He was president during one of the longest stretchs of economic growth our country has seen and pulled us out of a horrible recession.

    The economy under Trump has just continued in the same way. The stock market has done well as Trump plans to decrease regulation and is pro business but to say it floundered under Obama is an absolute lie.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I'm glad YOU posted this, because I was about to write this.

    The segue into a month in Chicago is interpreted as deflection - but it's highly relevant.
    A city with very restrictive gun control laws has absolutely no effect at all on the prevalence of guns and zero effectiveness in lower gun crime.
    When 59 people are killed all at once, it makes news and is sensational - but dozens killed on weekends regularly - whose totals mount in the THOUSANDS - are clearly the bigger picture.

    The left keeps repeating the same solutions which in the United States has proven continually not to work.
    Across the globe, examples are given of mass shootings and subsequent legislation against guns followed by lowered incidence of attacks - and hailed as "success" -
    ignoring the fact that they didn't happen that much BEFORE. The one thing I seem to see is that gun violence seems to be in patterns in places across the world -
    and that laws against guns make no difference. If there was gun violence before, laws change nothing. If there wasn't a lot before, surprise, it doesn't happen much afterward.

    If the left wants to "do something" - find something that WORKS. Because doing something that doesn't work is actually WORSE than nothing, because you make a big effort to DO something when you could have made a difference instead.
    Actually the fact that Chicago has so much fun crime only proves that we need tougher national laws and not state by state laws. Look at how Lax gun laws are in the states that border Chicago.

    As to your point that nothing would have stopped Las Vegas. It is absolutely untrue. A national database and limits on purchasing certainly would. He bought 33 guns in one year! Had anyone been paying attention he would have been flagged

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    It is absolutely untrue. A national database and limits on purchasing certainly would. He bought 33 guns in one year! Had anyone been paying attention he would have been flagged
    Even Diane Feinstein admitted that it would have made no difference. And he had been planning this for a long time - if you put a limit on gun purchases, he could have done it with less.
    To my knowledge there is nothing that can stop a man with a gun from firing at random people in a crowd - except someone else with a gun.
    Nothing the left has proposed would have stopped this guy. But there are measures we can take to be more safe in the future.

    For instance - many of the last several shootings not at schools or churches have been in open public venues. Find a way to use technology to stop such things. On 9/11 they killed thousands by flying planes into buildings and overpowering people with box cutters. Security is aware of such things - and improvisations to such things, such as bombs in shoes and explosives in bath kits. Sadly we will need security at hotels.

    But my comments point to something else - there are cities in the nation where people AREN'T being gunned down, and gun laws strict or not, it's not happening. There are NATIONS where guns are scarce and people are still killed at a very high rate, and others - like the Scandinavian nations - where guns are everywhere but people aren't being killed. People are being killed by guns in Chicago not because guns are easy to bring into Chicago - they are being killed in Chicago because the people of Chicago kill people without regard. There is a societal ill there and places like it. They take away guns in Europe and they use cars. The problem isn't that there are guns. There are hundreds of millions of guns in this country and if guns were the problem we'd all be hip deep in blood. You have knives in your house and pesticides under the counter - and your kids don't stab each other or spray pesticide all over one another. Unless you have deeply disturbed children in which case knives and pesticides are NOT the problem. At schools they have archery ranges and at Scouts, my kids fire guns. It is unthinkable to point an arrow at another kid and no one would point a gun in earnest at another kid.

    THAT is the problem. We have *kids* in the cities for whom SHOOTING another kid is something they do. When there are no guns, they still use knives, chains and cars.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  10. #30
    Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California, MD
    Posts
    12,892
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    That's pretty easy.

    We need to bring this country back to the center.

    You and your right wing cronies on here think that yours is the ONLY position. You are wrong. You think everyone who doesn't look, speak and pray like you do are Un-American. You are WRONG.

    Trump is a disaster...anybody with common sense and a grounded outlook can see that. Since none of you possess any common sense or seem to possess the ability to think, Trump is your hero. He doesn't understand the history or founding of this country any more than you do (your personal level of knowledge is atrocious).

    You all think CNN and MSNBC are "fake" but quote sources (GURPS) and articles that are easily proven false, misleading or seriously out of context. That you can point to a left wing source that does the same thing does not make your quoting of propagandist right wing sources correct or appropriate.

    We have significant problems in this country. You idiots are too busy staring at whatever shiny object Trump holds in his hand. (Just look at the shooting in Las Vegas. 59 people died. Are you all discussing ways to alleviate this issue? No. You all immediately start talking about how many back people are shot in Chicago...as if that somehow justifies a white guy slaughtering people.) We need to reform Medicare and Medicaid. We need to reform Social Security. We need to place governors on these fast becoming monopolies (think Amazon, Google, etc.). We need to rebuild our standing in the world. We need to do something about opiods and inner city unemployment. We need to fix our budget issues (and no JUST cutting taxes will NOT solve the problem, nor does JUST cutting taxes for the wealthy spur overall growth).

    We have significant problems. None of them are being solved because we have an incompetent narcissist in the White House. The man has no idea what he is doing. He has no idea how to speak. He doesn't give a sh* t about you or anyone else. The Presidency to him is nothing more than a marketing campaign for his hotels and golf courses.

    Where do I want to transport us to? To a point where our leaders do two things; 1. lead and 2. work together to solve the problems that face us.

    That will never happen as long as we have an electorate infested with weak minded individuals like the ones on here.
    Or we an go with option 2, you have no idea what you're talking about and just parrot whatever talking point you're fed.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Members who have read this thread: 60

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |