SMECO smart meter installation - BEWARE!

TPD

the poor dad
Most smart meters are being installed in the middle of the billing cycle. On one of my accounts last month, I noticed my kWh usage was more than double what it has been in the last 12 months or probably ever. After careful examination of the bill, I see that no where are we given the beginning and ending meter readings from the old meter, just the total kWh used from the old meter. In 7 days on the old meter I used more than 2000 kWh (never used that much in a total month previous) but just a bit over 1000 in the remaining 25 days. I knew this was a mistake. A call to SMECO and I was informed that they would go look at the old meter and get back to me with any corrections. Less than 4 hours later, I received a return call from SMECO stating my bill would be lowered by more than $200.

The customer service at SMECO was great in handling this matter, but my point is that now I want to question every account I have with SMECO that has had a new meter installed. This mistake was obvious, but now I wonder how many smaller mistakes are being made with this switch - 100 kWh here, 200 kWh there - small numbers that maybe will go unnoticed by the average customer. In the past when a meter was read wrong, the mistake was caught and adjustment made on the next reading/billing cycle. When an old meter is taken out and we are just billed a number with no readings given to us, it is our word against SMECO's contractors who are installing the meters, which in reality who was around to read their own meter before it was taken out? I'm sure they did not have my old meter 2 months later that they could go back and check, but more like a digital picture. Just glad this problem was solved in a timely manner.

Anyhow, just a warning to double check your bill! I have been against the installation of these smart meters all along, and this incident is one more reason I am against them. I am tempted to call and have them double check all of my accounts that have been switched to the new meters....

Freefaller

Most smart meters are being installed in the middle of the billing cycle. On one of my accounts last month, I noticed my kWh usage was more than double what it has been in the last 12 months or probably ever. After careful examination of the bill, I see that no where are we given the beginning and ending meter readings from the old meter, just the total kWh used from the old meter. In 7 days on the old meter I used more than 2000 kWh (never used that much in a total month previous) but just a bit over 1000 in the remaining 25 days. I knew this was a mistake. A call to SMECO and I was informed that they would go look at the old meter and get back to me with any corrections. Less than 4 hours later, I received a return call from SMECO stating my bill would be lowered by more than $200.

The customer service at SMECO was great in handling this matter, but my point is that now I want to question every account I have with SMECO that has had a new meter installed. This mistake was obvious, but now I wonder how many smaller mistakes are being made with this switch - 100 kWh here, 200 kWh there - small numbers that maybe will go unnoticed by the average customer. In the past when a meter was read wrong, the mistake was caught and adjustment made on the next reading/billing cycle. When an old meter is taken out and we are just billed a number with no readings given to us, it is our word against SMECO's contractors who are installing the meters, which in reality who was around to read their own meter before it was taken out? I'm sure they did not have my old meter 2 months later that they could go back and check, but more like a digital picture. Just glad this problem was solved in a timely manner.

Anyhow, just a warning to double check your bill! I have been against the installation of these smart meters all along, and this incident is one more reason I am against them. I am tempted to call and have them double check all of my accounts that have been switched to the new meters....

Smeco must really need money. My last bill showed a usage of about 770 Kwh (with a start and end reading date.) Then for no reason that Smeco will explain, someone added over 6,900 Kwh on a separate line (with no beginning and ending date) so our bill for last month was over $800.00 .

Last edited:

wolfdad

Very interesting thread.

We fought SMECO on the installation of the Smart Meter and I flat out told them NO WAY!!! First of all, do any of you know what else is being transmitted? I have no idea and don't intend to find out so we said not no, but hell no. Caught the meter guy in the driveway with a new meter and told him he was not installing it...that we had said no and no means no. His quote to me was, "I'll be back with a Deputy," which drew an immediate response from us to SMECO. Meter may belong to them, but they have to transit our property to get to it and SMECO is not welcome on our property at any time (especially since their lackeys, Penn Line killed two of the remaining dogwoods we had). They pulled another one about two years ago where we said no to a smart device on our A/C unit and, without a word, they still came out, bored holes in our foundation and installed it. My inspection revealed they had cut into the control lines on the outside unit and had left bare wires, among other things (not to mention the holes in our foundation). I removed the device and corrected the improper and "not to code" infractions (you will note that SMECO does not have to have a certified electrician follow them around on installations, so caveat emptor).

Back to the Smart Meter.....SMECO charged us a one-time fee of $75 for opting out (supposedly, the Smart Meter was supposed to be installed throughout CRE as a wide area test....none of my neighbors seem to have had the Smart Meter installed), and $15 a month for opting out. Only in southern Maryland (SMECO) does one get charged for NOT having something installed.

On top of all of the above, I have been reading my own meter for years (developed a healthy distrust of SMECO years ago) and keep a spreadsheet showing daily, average and total usage. After two years of doing this, I have come pretty close to predicting what the bill should be as compared to what it actually is, so I know if something has gotten hinky. Recommend all of you do the same. SMECO is the "only game in town" and we have no other choices for electric power, since most of what comes out of Calvert Cliffs goes straight up to Baltimore and Annapolis and DC (do a fact check on that one if you want). I have no use for SMECO and have no problem stating that fact. And, remember as SMECO customers, you also own a part of the company and SMECO needs to be reminded of that on a regular basis.

littlelady

God bless the USA
That is odd. We lived in Calvert for 20 years, and did the Smeco control thing 5 years in. Never had a problem, or a high bill. I guess things have changed, since we moved. Good luck y'all. So, far Pepco has been fair, and we had one of the control stats installed, when we moved to Olney last Oct.

I do have to say, if it makes a difference, that I was raised in NOLA, and am used to hot/humid weather. So, didn't run the a/c, a lot. But winter was different. I don't like cold. One thing we did was when we had the fireplace burning, we turned the heat off. A fireplace draws your paid for heated air right up the chimney. I love putting layers of quilts on the bed in the wintertime.

I have a story. I lived in Mobile AL for three years and worked for Scott Paper Co; starting out as a Kelly Girl. The mill went on strike, and the admin had to run the mill for 4 months. I learned that thing about 10 days on, 10 days off. At the time, I lived in a house built in 1900 that had no a/c. Our bedroom had a ceiling fan, and that is what I slept under. I learned so much in that time in my life. I learned how to drive a fork lift, and how to sleep under less than great conditions; especially during the day. That is why I can't stand cry babies; or hypocrites, for that matter. Sorry, that is another thread about kneelers, safe spaces, and all.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I opted out on the thermostat monitoring, have new ones to install.
Will give the "smart" ones back to SMECO if they want them.

Chris0nllyn

Very interesting thread.

We fought SMECO on the installation of the Smart Meter and I flat out told them NO WAY!!! First of all, do any of you know what else is being transmitted? I have no idea and don't intend to find out so we said not no, but hell no. Caught the meter guy in the driveway with a new meter and told him he was not installing it...that we had said no and no means no. His quote to me was, "I'll be back with a Deputy," which drew an immediate response from us to SMECO. Meter may belong to them, but they have to transit our property to get to it and SMECO is not welcome on our property at any time (especially since their lackeys, Penn Line killed two of the remaining dogwoods we had). They pulled another one about two years ago where we said no to a smart device on our A/C unit and, without a word, they still came out, bored holes in our foundation and installed it. My inspection revealed they had cut into the control lines on the outside unit and had left bare wires, among other things (not to mention the holes in our foundation). I removed the device and corrected the improper and "not to code" infractions (you will note that SMECO does not have to have a certified electrician follow them around on installations, so caveat emptor).

Back to the Smart Meter.....SMECO charged us a one-time fee of $75 for opting out (supposedly, the Smart Meter was supposed to be installed throughout CRE as a wide area test....none of my neighbors seem to have had the Smart Meter installed), and $15 a month for opting out. Only in southern Maryland (SMECO) does one get charged for NOT having something installed.

On top of all of the above, I have been reading my own meter for years (developed a healthy distrust of SMECO years ago) and keep a spreadsheet showing daily, average and total usage. After two years of doing this, I have come pretty close to predicting what the bill should be as compared to what it actually is, so I know if something has gotten hinky. Recommend all of you do the same. SMECO is the "only game in town" and we have no other choices for electric power, since most of what comes out of Calvert Cliffs goes straight up to Baltimore and Annapolis and DC (do a fact check on that one if you want). I have no use for SMECO and have no problem stating that fact. And, remember as SMECO customers, you also own a part of the company and SMECO needs to be reminded of that on a regular basis.

Curious, what other things do you think smart meters can send out?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nice young feller (contractor, not SMECO person) came out and changed out the three meters we have about a month or so ago. If there was anything "funny" going on with the bills, I'm sure the missus would have caught it....and she's said nothing.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I haven't seen an issue with my bills since the change out. I do like the idea that if power to my house goes out for any reason, SMECO is immediately warned due to the loss of communications with the meter.

black dog

Free America
I haven't seen an issue with my bills since the change out. I do like the idea that if power to my house goes out for any reason, SMECO is immediately warned due to the loss of communications with the meter.

We have had them out here for a few years now, I haven't had any issues with any of the ones I pay for.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Curious, what other things do you think smart meters can send out?

I pay SMECO's extortion fee as well to keep my old analog meter. Those so called smart meters transmit constantly, all day long. They, SMECO, and who ever else they give, or sell, or forced to by law enforcement, the information to, will be able to ascertain when you leave your home and when you return. What type and kind of appliances you have in your home. When they come on and when they turn off. Over time, by measuring the amperage of any given device in your home, will be able to figure out what that device is. Be it a refrigerator, bathroom fan, computer etc. Eventually, they will pretty much know the quantity and what kind every device is in your home. Is essence it is a spy meter. Also, it is also possible, with the right firmware installed, for it to capture and transmit any signals that might travel through the wiring in your house. Like, did you know, that a speaker at rest, will vibrate and produce an audio signal that could back feed into your house electrical wiring? A very small electrical charge, yes, but, still possible to intercept and interpret. In addition to other signals, say, from your desktop computer that is plugged directly into the wall.

As far as SMECO being customer owned? I think that trained left long ago. Maybe in theory, but in practice its nothing more than another corporation looking out for themselves and to milk their customer for all they can.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Where'd I put my tin foil hat? LR needs it much more than I do.

No ... just very cautious and extremely untrusting of things thrust upon me under the guise of saving money, that are also to "help" do whatever magical things a computing wireless transmitting device attached to my home, sending an unknown quantity of data, to places unknown, secured by unknown means, with access by who knows who, with specially written software algorithms to parse the data into quantifiable and with personally identifiable results, by someone I do not know, who says it will be for my benefit, claims to provide. Go ahead and blindly accept their reasoning and explanations. Be the sheep that you are. Sheeps are easily corralled and easy pickings for shearing, as well as slaughter.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

I pay SMECO's extortion fee as well to keep my old analog meter. Those so called smart meters transmit constantly, all day long. They, SMECO, and who ever else they give, or sell, or forced to by law enforcement, the information to, will be able to ascertain when you leave your home and when you return. What type and kind of appliances you have in your home. When they come on and when they turn off. Over time, by measuring the amperage of any given device in your home, will be able to figure out what that device is. Be it a refrigerator, bathroom fan, computer etc. Eventually, they will pretty much know the quantity and what kind every device is in your home. Is essence it is a spy meter. Also, it is also possible, with the right firmware installed, for it to capture and transmit any signals that might travel through the wiring in your house. Like, did you know, that a speaker at rest, will vibrate and produce an audio signal that could back feed into your house electrical wiring? A very small electrical charge, yes, but, still possible to intercept and interpret. In addition to other signals, say, from your desktop computer that is plugged directly into the wall.

As far as SMECO being customer owned? I think that trained left long ago. Maybe in theory, but in practice its nothing more than another corporation looking out for themselves and to milk their customer for all they can.

Bull####. Utter..complete..bull####..

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

As someone who designs electrical systems and electronics I feel a duty to tell you to take off the tin foil hat.

The only thing a meter can tell is your electricity draw. The biggest thing that can be found out and not an absolute is who is growing pot inside due to the high usage for the grow lamps, but with the proliferation of LED technology maybe not even that.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

As someone who designs electrical systems and electronics I feel a duty to tell you to take off the tin foil hat. The only thing a meter can tell is your electricity draw. The biggest thing that can be found out and not an absolute is who is growing pot inside due to the high usage for the grow lamps, but with the proliferation of LED technology maybe not even that.

Yes, with the old analog meters.

Do not trust SMECO. For all those that care ...
http://marylandsmartmeterawareness....e-anything-smart-about-electric-smart-meters/
http://www.smartmetereducationnetwork.com/smart-meters-what-they-are-and-what-they-do.php
https://smartgridawareness.org/

PeoplesElbow

All of those sites have a couple very basic concepts correct, but are chocked full of more misinformation than Al Gores global warming movie.

If the smart meter communicates to the appliances in your house with RFID mine will communicate with my neighbors instead of mine because my meter is closer to my neighbors living area than it is to mine....

Line noise is also easy to filter out (they claim it isn't),

Take off the tin foil hat...

index.jpg images.jpg images1.jpg