Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69

Thread: Do you disrespect the flag?

  1. #11
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    not near PAX
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by seven View Post
    14 ways you are disrespecting the American flag and might not know it:

    http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world...cting_the.html
    Go serve a couple tours in some faraway land, then we"ll talk.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

  2. #12
    What I get frosted over is when I see anyone especially a LEO or Security Officer with a US Flag on there shoulder and its backwards.The Stars are always moving forward.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  3. 10-12-2017, 09:06 AM

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    So, is there something wrong with the patriot emoji? Am I desecrating the flag by using it? From reading your posts here, you don't believe in America as She was founded. You want to change Her. That is where I can't agree with you. And, I am doing you a favor to try to persuade you to support Her. You would not like the alternative. Trust me.

    .
    I am a history nut!
    It is amazing how much you shout about your love of this country and its history and yet how little you seem to understand.

    Now you are b*tching because people want to "change" America? Since when has this been a country that stood still? Come you self proclaimed history nut...as a married woman what rights did you have at the founding of this country? Women didn't even have the right to vote 100 years ago. Had America not changed you would cease to exist legally.

    Maybe you ought to be a little less "nuts" about history and a little more of a "student"?

    If you get all misty eyed by James Earl Jones' speech at the end of Field of Dreams, maybe you ought to actually listen to the words?

    America is change. It was [I]designed[I] to be changeable.

  5. #14
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    27,511
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    It is amazing how much you shout about your love of this country and its history and yet how little you seem to understand.

    Now you are b*tching because people want to "change" America? Since when has this been a country that stood still? Come you self proclaimed history nut...as a married woman what rights did you have at the founding of this country? Women didn't even have the right to vote 100 years ago. Had America not changed you would cease to exist legally.

    Maybe you ought to be a little less "nuts" about history and a little more of a "student"?

    If you get all misty eyed by James Earl Jones' speech at the end of Field of Dreams, maybe you ought to actually listen to the words?

    America is change. It was [I]designed[I] to be changeable.
    Nobody is bitching about change. Everything changes.
    I know it is hard for you to understand , but Conservatives are not bitching about change.

    We are bitching about the way it is changing.

    You see at one time a newly elected President was accepted as the person Americans wanted to lead them fo 4 years, and he was given the decency of a few months to show what his plan was, but today they start attacking the winner the day after the election.
    At one time Americans were United and the last president as part of his change divided us.
    I could go through a litany of changes most Americans abhor, but why waste my time because you already know them and are in favor of so many of them.

  6. #15
    Splat Toxick's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2003
    Location
    Parked
    Posts
    19,329
    Quote Originally Posted by seven View Post
    14 ways you are disrespecting the American flag and might not know it:


    This may be a pedantic argument but:
    I think most of these should be called "breeches of etiquette" or protocol rather than "disrespect".

    Disrespect is born from intent.

    For instance, Getting down on one knee isn't in and of itself a disrespectful thing. People kneel in churches, or before monarchs as a sign of respect. However, the seminal activity that has led to the current NFL fiasco was Colin Kaepernick sitting during the anthem, because "I'm not going to stand and give respect to a country that protects cops who shoot blacks" (Or words to that effect). That led to kneeling, and that led to other players joining in, yadda-yadda-yadda, Trump's mouth, sons-of-bitches should be fired, petulant defiance, and now everyone's pissed off.


    Anyway - the explicitly expressed purpose of the kneeling is disrespect - or at best, withholding respect (which is 6 up, half-dozen down, IMO).



    The upshot and my point is breeches of etiquette are born from ignorance, not necessarily disrespect.





    IOW: Using the stem of a salad fork to stir the creamer in your coffee not disrespectful - but bouncing your dinner roll off of the host's forehead is.
    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

  7. #16
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    39,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxick View Post
    This may be a pedantic argument but:
    I think most of these should be called "breeches of etiquette" or protocol rather than "disrespect".

    IOW: Using the stem of a salad fork to stir the creamer in your coffee not disrespectful - but bouncing your dinner roll off of the host's forehead is.

    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

    “Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

  8. 10-15-2017, 11:24 PM

  9. #17
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    27,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxick View Post
    This may be a pedantic argument but:
    I think most of these should be called "breeches of etiquette" or protocol rather than "disrespect".

    Disrespect is born from intent.

    For instance, Getting down on one knee isn't in and of itself a disrespectful thing. People kneel in churches, or before monarchs as a sign of respect. However, the seminal activity that has led to the current NFL fiasco was Colin Kaepernick sitting during the anthem, because "I'm not going to stand and give respect to a country that protects cops who shoot blacks" (Or words to that effect). That led to kneeling, and that led to other players joining in, yadda-yadda-yadda, Trump's mouth, sons-of-bitches should be fired, petulant defiance, and now everyone's pissed off.


    Anyway - the explicitly expressed purpose of the kneeling is disrespect - or at best, withholding respect (which is 6 up, half-dozen down, IMO).



    The upshot and my point is breeches of etiquette are born from ignorance, not necessarily disrespect.





    IOW: Using the stem of a salad fork to stir the creamer in your coffee not disrespectful - but bouncing your dinner roll off of the host's forehead is.
    Well you are partially correct the ones doing the kneeling are ignorant.

  10. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxick View Post
    The upshot and my point is breeches of etiquette are born from ignorance, not necessarily disrespect.
    I ask my kids "what's the difference between ignorant and stupid?". They know the answer - ignorant is when you don't know and do something idiotic; stupid is when you DO know.

    To your point, entering a Japanese home without removing your shoes is ignorance the first time - the TENTH time, it's disrespect.

    1. If this is actually about "cops treatment of blacks" - which I think many doing it are just pissed - then I don't see a reason for them to EVER stop.
    There will ALWAYS be some instance where it happens, just as doctors will lose patients and innocent men will be convicted. It happens.
    I think the cops and blacks has been HUGELY over-hyped and distorted, because the data points completely the other way.

    2. If they want the attention from football FANS - they're making a huge mistake. When someone turns the channel because of vulgar behavior, they lose support.
    You don't GAIN support by pissing off the people you need it from. And you can't beat them in the head with it to compel them to feel otherwise.

    3. They are insulting the wrong people and doing it in the wrong venue. If you're against homosexuality and you're a church, you won't WIN anyone by protesting the funerals
    of fallen veterans - who have nothing whatsoever to do with your issue. That's kind of the POINT of a protest - persuade others to agree. Spitting on people to make them agree
    does not work.

    4. Personally - I don't see the point for many. Taking a knee in support. It has the ring of that Simpsons episode where "Timmy" fell into the well, and celebrities wrote a song
    saying they're "sending their love down the well" but never lifted a finger to actually DO something. Ditto lawmakers and others who "show support" by kneeling - and then go on
    with their merry lives doing nothing more.

    Football is off in our house and will remain off until the disrespect ends. They have freedom of expression - so do I.
    If they want my support - find some other way.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

  11. #19
    Splat Toxick's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2003
    Location
    Parked
    Posts
    19,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    Well you are partially correct the ones doing the kneeling are ignorant.


    I didn't say that.




    Also, I'm completely correct.
    As I usually am.

    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

  12. #20
    Splat Toxick's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2003
    Location
    Parked
    Posts
    19,329
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    1. If this is actually about "cops treatment of blacks" - which I think many doing it are just pissed - then I don't see a reason for them to EVER stop.
    I've said it a hundred times - that's not what this is about. No matter how badly they want us to believe that it is, it's not.



    It's what it was about - when Kaepernick started it, and then some of the others joined in. Those guys - while I disagree with their methods - are actually doing it for a valid reason. (Whether or not anyone agrees with this reason is immaterial to my point ). The rest of these pretentious overpaid screeching dill-wads didn't take a knee until The Loudmouth in Chief opened his yammering trap and suggested that it would be nice if kneeling sumbitches were fired. Then everyone dropped, as if they were doing it on a dare. Which to some extent they were.


    Ergo: Most of these a-holes are kneeling out of pure spite.

    That's it. The fact that they want to pretend it's an anti-racist statement is pathetic. I agree with the original intent. I completely disagree with giving the finger to the entire country because you're pissed off at one turd who can't keep a leash on his mouth.



    And I don't care if they say they "mean no disrespect" - they were told it's disrespectful and they continue to do it.




    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    3. They are insulting the wrong people and doing it in the wrong venue. If you're against homosexuality and you're a church, you won't WIN anyone by protesting the funerals of fallen veterans - who have nothing whatsoever to do with your issue. That's kind of the POINT of a protest - persuade others to agree. Spitting on people to make them agree does not work.

    Very well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Football is off in our house and will remain off until the disrespect ends. They have freedom of expression - so do I. If they want my support - find some other way.
    Amen.
    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |