Boy Scouts Will Now Admit Girls

Misfit

Lawful neutral
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scouts-will-admit-girls-allow-them-earn-eagle-scout-n809836

The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts.

The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago.

MR47930

How long before Trump brings this up and tells people to boycott the scouts and then they roll back their policy?

The world is going to hell, what a time to be alive.
Looks like I have an excuse not to buy any of their $18 popcorn from now on.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Girl Scouts of the USA didn’t mince words when addressing what they believe are the Boy Scouts’ questionable motives.

“This is a direct response to boost their declining membership,” Lisa Margosian, chief customer officer for Girl Scouts, told BuzzFeed News. “We’re disappointed in the way the BSA handled this. We’ve enjoyed a strong relationship and partnership with them over the years and we’re disappointed that the BSA didn’t discuss this with us to say, ‘we’re having trouble with our membership.”

It’s no secret that membership for the Boy Scouts is suffering. The fact that they have a history of bending to left-wing activists probably isn’t helping. So when allowing transgender individuals to join their ranks didn’t fix their declining membership dilemma (shocker!), the Boy Scouts decided to go after their next set of victims: little girls. And NOW provided the perfect cover.

When organizations like NOW encourage young girls and women to act like victims, it should come as no surprise when they’re treated as such. Those poor, oppressed Girl Scouts not only needed saving—they needed a male alternative. Victimization culture seeps into the Boy Scouts as well. It’s changing them from developing lifelong character and leadership skills to lifelong political correctness skills.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/12/another-show-desperation-boy-scouts-opens-cub-scouts-girls/

officeguy

The Girl Scouts of the USA didn’t mince words when addressing what they believe are the Boy Scouts’ questionable motives.

That criticism comes from the people who have turned a youth organization into a cookie selling enterprise. They can go piss up a rope.

SamSpade

How long before Trump brings this up and tells people to boycott the scouts and then they roll back their policy?

The world is going to hell, what a time to be alive.
Looks like I have an excuse not to buy any of their $18 popcorn from now on.

Re: the 18 dollar popcorn --

Every one of those sales tells you exactly how much is donation to the Scouts, and how much is going for the food.
Yes, it's a lot, but it states it clearly that you're giving 12-14 dollars as donation.

And they always take donations by themselves.

Restitution

Every one of those sales tells you exactly how much is donation to the Scouts, and how much is going for the food.
Yes, it's a lot, but it states it clearly that you're giving 12-14 dollars as donation.

And those donations go directly towards funding outings and trips/adventures for the scouts.

SamSpade

“This is a direct response to boost their declining membership,” Lisa Margosian, chief customer officer for Girl Scouts, told BuzzFeed News. “We’re disappointed in the way the BSA handled this. We’ve enjoyed a strong relationship and partnership with them over the years and we’re disappointed that the BSA didn’t discuss this with us to say, ‘we’re having trouble with our membership.”

I know friends and family who are all over about this - for example, my girls are thrilled. They were IN Girl Scouts but were bored to death by it, and have very often participated in my son's service projects.
To THEM, joining Scouts means they'll finally be able to do all the fun stuff they couldn't do as Girl Scouts.

MY thoughts are this, and you might need to be a part of Scouts to see it - Boy Scouts are, or at least intended to be, run by the Scouts themselves.
The number one rule on camping trips, camp, Scout meetings is - if you don't know how to do it - ask a Scout. The organization has a general purpose in training leaders to lead.
Scouts is my son's number one outlet for learning how to interact with boys, how to socialize with them, lead them, teach them.
He gets that from absolutely nothing else - he's terrible at sports and has no other outlet for such interaction.

Now I've read what they expect will happen - and it's not like every pack and troop will be full blown co-ed. Furthermore, Venture Scouts, Exploring, Learning for Life and Sea Scouts are all co-ed, and I think they always have been.
(Looked that up - no - but have been for like, 50 years).

SamSpade

That criticism comes from the people who have turned a youth organization into a cookie selling enterprise. They can go piss up a rope.

Have to say I was extremely underwhelmed by the Girl Scouts when it came to my daughters.
While my son went camping, hiking, kayaking, got to shoot arrows (and later, guns), play lacrosse, go rock climbing, and do all kinds of fun stuff - my daughters pretty much made crafts and displays.

So when it came to things like beach clean up and Scouting for food (collecting food for charity) they were always with my son. They love to help. THAT is the Scouts they want to do.

NOW - what I *WISH* they would do - is make Girl Scouts *LIKE* Boy Scouts. Make it full of outdoors activities, leadership and citizenship.
Instead of what it seems to be in most places.

black dog

Free America
I know friends and family who are all over about this - for example, my girls are thrilled. They were IN Girl Scouts but were bored to death by it, and have very often participated in my son's service projects.
To THEM, joining Scouts means they'll finally be able to do all the fun stuff they couldn't do as Girl Scouts.

MY thoughts are this, and you might need to be a part of Scouts to see it - Boy Scouts are, or at least intended to be, run by the Scouts themselves.
The number one rule on camping trips, camp, Scout meetings is - if you don't know how to do it - ask a Scout. The organization has a general purpose in training leaders to lead.
Scouts is my son's number one outlet for learning how to interact with boys, how to socialize with them, lead them, teach them.
He gets that from absolutely nothing else - he's terrible at sports and has no other outlet for such interaction.

Now I've read what they expect will happen - and it's not like every pack and troop will be full blown co-ed. Furthermore, Venture Scouts, Exploring, Learning for Life and Sea Scouts are all co-ed, and I think they always have been.
(Looked that up - no - but have been for like, 50 years).

Ever thought about putting your son in a martial arts class? Lots of kids that go to Tolsons are not sports oriented outside of karate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Thank you - that's what has been rattling around in my brain since I heard the announcement. My experience with GSA as a kid was pretty much what Sam Spade describes: making crafts with paper plates and learning to do clever things with Rice Krispie treats. Our local YMCA offered the cool camps and activities and learning to do things, so that's what most of us gravitated toward.

Evolve or die, Girl Scouts.

officeguy

Have to say I was extremely underwhelmed by the Girl Scouts when it came to my daughters.
While my son went camping, hiking, kayaking, got to shoot arrows (and later, guns), play lacrosse, go rock climbing, and do all kinds of fun stuff - my daughters pretty much made crafts and displays.

So when it came to things like beach clean up and Scouting for food (collecting food for charity) they were always with my son. They love to help. THAT is the Scouts they want to do.

Same here. We have a gaggle of sisters that has been hanging around my sons troop since cubscout days. They participate in some of the activities on the regular evening but they can't go on the kayak trips, hiking or other scout-led activities. My daughter is in girl-scouts, but I don't take her there for any of the girlscouty stuff, its just an opportunity to hang out with a nice crowd of girls she knows going back years and some of whom have moved on to different schools.

NOW - what I *WISH* they would do - is make Girl Scouts *LIKE* Boy Scouts. Make it full of outdoors activities, leadership and citizenship.
Instead of what it seems to be in most places.

You over-estimate the mental flexibility of the leftist lawyers that run GSA, lol.

SamSpade

Ever thought about putting your son in a martial arts class? Lots of kids that go to Tolsons are not sports oriented outside of karate.

You mean, my under-sized, under weight kid? Every - single - time we go near one.

He won't. Trust me, nothing would please me more than him taking up ANYTHING physical. I've tried.
Sometimes he talks about it, but right now I am fighting with him to keep up with the physical fitness part of Scouts.

My son does have special needs, so - sports are kind of out for him.

EDIT to add:

STILL the biggest draw for him - in my opinion - is the leadership and social interaction WITH BOYS.
Boy Scouts is led and taught via other boys and to get to Eagle Scout, you have to learn to lead and take initiative.
You don't even get that much in team sports or martial arts. You're part of something with Scouts, and it teaches you to be a leader and citizen.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Same here. We have a gaggle of sisters that has been hanging around my sons troop since cubscout days. They participate in some of the activities on the regular evening but they can't go on the kayak trips, hiking or other scout-led activities. My daughter is in girl-scouts, but I don't take her there for any of the girlscouty stuff, its just an opportunity to hang out with a nice crowd of girls she knows going back years and some of whom have moved on to different schools.

You over-estimate the mental flexibility of the leftist lawyers that run GSA, lol.

Don't you remember the dozens of Girl Scout commercials growing up, dispelling the notion that the only thing they do is sell cookies and do arts and crafts?
They'd show sports and outdoor stuff and camping and swimming - and they'd say stuff like "Scouting rounds a girl out".

ADMITTEDLY - I *have* spoken with people in GSA in different areas - and as far as I can tell, the Girl Scouting experience has a lot MORE to do with who is running it.
I was in Boy Scouts as a boy, but it didn't last long. We had very few people, very few scouts and no one with much outdoors experience at all.
But one of my daughters I swear is the next Serena Williams, and doing crafts bores her silly.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

when I get the School Fund raiser stuff for my grand kids, I don't buy any of the junk, but make a direct donation

My oldest was in Girl Scouts back in the 90's ... for about 6 months until my ex-wife was what it really was
a feminist, tree hugging, Progressive Indoctrination Group that sells cookies

Evolve or die, Girl Scouts.

only deep into progressive causes

Last edited:

MR47930

Wasn't so much complaining about the money, more-so the product. I'd rather pay $20 for a few boxes of delicious cookies than for a sack of popcorn.

terbear1225

when the number one thing your group is known for is the product you sell, you are no longer an organization conducting a fundraiser for fun activities. You are a business that occasionally has activities for your unpaid child labor.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
when the number one thing your group is known for is the product you sell, you are no longer an organization conducting a fundraiser for fun activities. You are a business that occasionally has activities for your unpaid child labor.

That's a good point, too. Bann will be on here, I'm sure, with her take because she's big into the GSA. It will be interesting to read her POV, whether she agrees or disagrees, and why.

SamSpade

I know they're also selling wreaths this time around....