Culture Wars Will End In Another Civil War

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Identity Politics Is Poisoning American Civic Life

That brings us to something else that might get lost in the Pew numbers: the median Democratic voter has radicalized much faster than the median Republican voter, and most of this radicalization happened while a Democratic president was in office. That counterintuitive trend points to a larger problem with how the Left in particular understands the American project and our prospects for living together in peace and prosperity. Although it’s true that Republicans have moved further to the right as Democrats have moved further to the left, it’s the leftward slide that should worry us.

For all their shortcomings, conservatives at least have a limiting principle for politics. Most of them believe, for example, in the principles enshrined in the Constitution and maintain that no matter how bad things are, the Bill of Rights is a necessary bulwark, sometimes the only bulwark, against tyranny and violence. In contrast, here’s Timothy Egan of The New York Times arguing unabashedly for the repeal of the Second and Fifth Amendments.

The rapid radicalization of Democrats along these lines follows a ruthless logic about the entire premise of the American constitutional order. If you believe, as progressives increasingly do, that America was founded under false pretenses and built on racial oppression, then why bother conserving it? And why bother trying to compromise with those on the other side, especially if they reject progressives’ unifying theory that America is forever cursed by its original sin of slavery, which nothing can expiate?

Before you scoff, understand that this view of race and America is increasingly mainstream on the American Left. To read someone like Ta-Nehisi Coates, whose recent article in The Atlantic is a manifesto of racial identity politics that argues Trump’s presidency is based on white supremacy, is to realize that progressive elites no longer believe they can share a republic with conservatives, or really anyone with whom they disagree.

Coates has attained near god-like status among progressives with his oracular writings on race and politics, which take for granted the immutability of race and racial animus. So it’s deeply disturbing when he writes, as he does in a new collection of essays, that “should white supremacy fall, the means by which that happens might be unthinkable to those of us bound by present realities and politics.”

Hijinx

I seriously doubt another Civil War will result.

Too many Americans are living too good.

black dog

Free America
Don't count on it. ANTIFA is serious about Nov 4th.

I hope they understand that by having a pair of 5.11 tactical pants and a Velcro hat with morale patches on it doesn't make you a Soldier or Marine..
But if they do want to dance, that would peg the Fun Meter on Red...

black dog

Free America
I've applied for my Anitfa hunting permit just in case they show up down here.

I don't think they can gather a quorum here to block Main St, unless they use just lesbians. I hope they have safety pads and ear plugs because being under a running 7.3 diesel is really loud and bumpy...

Hijinx

Antifa should be like the deer that are so prevalent around here. If they are in the road and you hit one just keep driving and hope you don't damage your vehicle too badly.