Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    I know it's not pressurized. The radiator is. The overflow tank is there to collect the expanding coolant that is heated by the engine and recycles it back into the coolant system once it loses enough heat . What I'm saying is, DON'T immediately unscrew the radiator cap (if so equipped) on an overheated radiator. Stop, open the hood, wait for the "the racket" to stop, THEN very slowly unscrew the overflow tank cap just enough to release the hot water/air pressure, while keeping hands/faces away.
    I was responding to this
    just loosen the cap on the overflow tank enough to release pressure
    But yeah..loosening the radiator cap too soon is never a good idea if overheating is suspected. What happens is that the superheated coolant (say 255 degrees plus) is prevented from boiling and becoming steam only because of the 15 psi or more of pressure it is under. You release that pressure and BAM!...instantaneous steam explosion.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    They are still being made, Thats why regular caps have a double lock on them. You can take a rag and use it like a pot holder and turn the cap about a 1/8th of a turn and it will release the pressure along with some antifreeze.. Its safer to let it cool for 30 min.
    Agreed.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Forkian View Post
    Surprised car manufacturers haven't installed some type of safety measure to prevent burns from opening a hot cap.
    Well they already say "Do not open when hot". Guess you could make them Red, or put another cap under the first one that pops up when the pressure is high and says "What the hell did I just tell you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Well they already say "Do not open when hot". Guess you could make them Red, or put another cap under the first one that pops up when the pressure is high and says "What the hell did I just tell you!"
    Wait for it.

The danger is greater than ever as manufacturers has pushed the normal operating temperature up and up over the years. Current modern vehicles often have normal temp range well exceeding 212 degrees. You could - and probably will - experience a coolant flash if popping the radiator cap on a newer vehicle even when the guage shows it's within the normal range.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Wait for it.

The danger is greater than ever as manufacturers has pushed the normal operating temperature up and up over the years. Current modern vehicles often have normal temp range well exceeding 212 degrees. You could - and probably will - experience a coolant flash if popping the radiator cap on a newer vehicle even when the guage shows it's within the normal range.
    Mine is 219-220*
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Hopefully the guy is alright but like everyone has stated, not sure how this isn't common knowledge. Worked at a service station in high school and saw this a few times from grown men. That's a lesson you DONT want to learn the hard way.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    My dad was laid up for a week in the hospital and 3 weeks at home when I was about 9 or 10, steam burns at work.
    He was an industrial boiler and furnace repairman. Old pipe gave way.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    My dad was laid up for a week in the hospital and 3 weeks at home when I was about 9 or 10, steam burns at work.
    He was an industrial boiler and furnace repairman. Old pipe gave way.
    Sorry to hear that. I'm convinced that there is no greater physical pain than a severe burn. Had a good 2nd degree burn on my hand when I was younger and the pain was unbelievable. Felt like someone was constantly putting a match out on my skin. This was a very small burn so I couldn't imagine the pain someone must feel with severe burns on a large section of their body.

Steam burns do hurt like holy hell for a long time.
    No more splitting Uranium for fun and profit, retirement is cool so far....

Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Hopefully the guy is alright but like everyone has stated, not sure how this isn't common knowledge. Worked at a service station in high school and saw this a few times from grown men. That's a lesson you DONT want to learn the hard way.
    With the advent of reliable +150K motors and very few service tasks required under the hood, and "mysterization" of all mechanical things, what you might think is common knowledge isn't really so common anymore. I work on a eight person team, pretty sure only one of them could reliably identify more than one item under the hood any modern car. Some vehicles, the radiator cap isn't so obvious, in facts it's appearance is deliberately minimized so as not to compete with the overflow tank as the obvious place to service the coolant.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 74