Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landline Providers

Question Landline Providers

We have pretty much had it with Verizon. It seems like once a month we lose our phone and internet. The outage typically lasts 3-5 days at a time. It's getting unacceptable. What other providers are there for Southern Calvert Co that won't break the bank? We want to keep DirecTV but need something else for phone and internet. We would also like to keep our same home number if possible. TIA.

I don't have a recommendation but I am very curious about how/why you are losing service that long? I myself have Comcast (a basic Triple Play) but they may ultimately group Verizon as the phone carrier. I can't recall.

I just don't understand how an outage should last that long unless there is a physical break in the lines. Are you in a very remote area?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I don't have a recommendation but I am very curious about how/why you are losing service that long? I myself have Comcast (a basic Triple Play) but they may ultimately group Verizon as the phone carrier. I can't recall.

I just don't understand how an outage should last that long unless there is a physical break in the lines. Are you in a very remote area?
    We live in CRE. Usually the outage happens late in the week (Thursday or Friday) and Verizon says they can't get anyone out until the following Monday or Tuesday. We did have an appointment for last Friday but they never showed. When we called, they said nobody had been dispatched/picked up the ticket to be dispatched. The problem is always with the line and the technicians have never had to actually come to our house. Everyone around us has Comcast but they complain about how expensive it's gotten and keeps getting each year.

Quote Originally Posted by RareBreed View Post
    We have pretty much had it with Verizon. It seems like once a month we lose our phone and internet. The outage typically lasts 3-5 days at a time. It's getting unacceptable. What other providers are there for Southern Calvert Co that won't break the bank? We want to keep DirecTV but need something else for phone and internet. We would also like to keep our same home number if possible. TIA.
    I use Nettalk for phone, but you need internet,
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387769,00.asp
    And you can keep your same number.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWhat View Post
    Thanks we will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWhat View Post
    How long have you had that?
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    How long have you had that?
    A couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by RareBreed View Post
    We have Verizon also for phone and internet, and they SUCK!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    We have Verizon also for phone and internet, and they SUCK!!!!
    Yes, they do.

I gave up on Verizon a few years ago. I signed up with Ooma premiere, which uses my high-speed internet for "voice over internet protocol" (VOIP). Far less expensive per month ($100 hardware, plus $10/month compared to ~$40/month), no worse downtime than whatever you have with your internet service provider (for me, it's been no worse than a couple hours once or twice a year - I can live with that), and tons of cool features like free long distance, voicemail to my email inbox, automatic NoMoRoBo junk call blocking, much more. I love it and have been very satisfied.

https://www.ooma.com/telo/premier-home-phone-service/

Members who have read this thread: 69