Greetings from Myrtle Beach II

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I keep forgetting how much I love it here, and October is the perfect time to visit. It's still warm and summery, everything is still open, but the massive amount of summer tourists and kiddos are gone.

We are in the RV at Ocean Lakes Campground, and our site is about a block from the beach. This campground is BOMB - tons of amenities, and it's like a small town rather than a campground. The bath houses are hyooooge and super clean. Our site is quite large, with plenty of room for the motorhome, two cars, Apollo's little yard, and a picnic table. Oh, and our sitting area and grill. Nice big site. :yay:

You know, we love the beach and prefer to stay in the beach towns, but....we never actually go to the beach. We might walk on it for a few minutes, and I'll usually dip my toes in, but we don't bring our stuff and spend any amount of time laying on the beach or swimming. I'm not sure why. Our goal is to do that this time here and when we get to Florida. When we were in Galveston and Biloxi last spring our hotels were literally right across the street from the beach, and do you think we did anything with it? We biked on the boardwalk, and definitely enjoyed the sound of the waves and ocean air, but we didn't walk on the beach like you're supposed to. Losers.

Last night we went to Mod for pizza - it's like Subway, only pizza. You tell the people what you want on your raw crust, going down assembly line style, then they fire it up for you. There's another similar chain called Blaze Pizza that we like as well. Monello is a pizza snob - crust in particular - and he gives it two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Then we tried to go downtown to have a drink at our favorite Parrot Bar...only to find that they've closed down. :frown: Next door, though, is an alehouse with a bunch of tragically hip IPAs on tap and one lonely wit for me. Our super cute hippie bartender made Monello a killer margarita, though, and their food selections looked good enough that we might be back.

Next stop was the...I can't remember the name of it, but it's on the boardwalk and has all the frozen drink machines. Next door to Moe Moon's. Anyway, our bartender there was chatty and friendly.

What's interesting is that everyone Monello asked said this year's tourist season was way better than last year. The campground where we are is almost filled, whereas last year this time we pretty much had the place to ourselves. I'm trying to think of what might have happened over the winter to spur the economy, and therefore tourism, like that....

We love going to new places, but we also love revisiting old favorites, like Myrtle Beach. There's a ton to do and see and eat here, and we always swear we're going to try something new...and then we end up back at our old haunts. I'm sure we'll go to Bubba's Love Shack in Murrell's Inlet, just like we always do, and we'll have lunch at the Indian place we like. When I'm desperate for salad, we'll go back to Mod because they do custom salads there, too.

Anyway, I'm really glad to be back on the road. Our month in Solomons was fine - got to see friends and my bestie got married - but the campground there is, um, more rustic than we are accustomed to. Plus it rained so much I was starting to get grouchy. Sunshine is more better.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today it was sunny and gorgeous out, a perfect beach day. Monello and I went for lunch at Bombay on the Beach - they have an Indian buffet that's really good - and just as we were tying on the feed bag, I noticed that the sky was getting dark. Then all of a sudden the heavens opened up and smote us with the wrath of God. It stormed fierce for maybe half an hour, then tapered off, and now it's just a random sprinkling.

That's the kind of rain I like - go hard, then go home.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Go to Capt. DILLIGAF's, I think it's in Pawley's Island and get a shirt.

D oes
I t
L ook
L ike
I
G ive
A
F udge*

What's interesting is that everyone Monello asked said this year's tourist season was way better than last year. The campground where we are is almost filled, whereas last year this time we pretty much had the place to ourselves. I'm trying to think of what might have happened over the winter to spur the economy, and therefore tourism, like that....

Last year in OCT there was Hurricane Matthew that hit that area and caused a lot of flooding. That may have changed a lot of tourist plans and there were evacuations.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Last year in OCT there was Hurricane Matthew that hit that area and caused a lot of flooding. That may have changed a lot of tourist plans and there were evacuations.

First I ask how the season was then I inquire how it compared with the previous summer. By the time we roll down here, most of the heavy tourist traffic is gone. A few businesses have closed for the season. Many of the shops that are open are offering discounts for beachwear.

Both here and the Jersey shore, which are somewhat comparable, claim to have had a nice summer financially. The places look inviting with lots of colors, lights, foot traffic. Things that just scream out to you to come on down and have a good time.

belvak

Happy Camper
I keep forgetting how much I love it here, and October is the perfect time to visit. It's still warm and summery, everything is still open, but the massive amount of summer tourists and kiddos are gone.

We are in the RV at Ocean Lakes Campground, and our site is about a block from the beach. This campground is BOMB - tons of amenities, and it's like a small town rather than a campground. The bath houses are hyooooge and super clean. Our site is quite large, with plenty of room for the motorhome, two cars, Apollo's little yard, and a picnic table. Oh, and our sitting area and grill. Nice big site. :yay:

You know, we love the beach and prefer to stay in the beach towns, but....we never actually go to the beach. We might walk on it for a few minutes, and I'll usually dip my toes in, but we don't bring our stuff and spend any amount of time laying on the beach or swimming. I'm not sure why. Our goal is to do that this time here and when we get to Florida. When we were in Galveston and Biloxi last spring our hotels were literally right across the street from the beach, and do you think we did anything with it? We biked on the boardwalk, and definitely enjoyed the sound of the waves and ocean air, but we didn't walk on the beach like you're supposed to. Losers.

Last night we went to Mod for pizza - it's like Subway, only pizza. You tell the people what you want on your raw crust, going down assembly line style, then they fire it up for you. There's another similar chain called Blaze Pizza that we like as well. Monello is a pizza snob - crust in particular - and he gives it two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Then we tried to go downtown to have a drink at our favorite Parrot Bar...only to find that they've closed down. :frown: Next door, though, is an alehouse with a bunch of tragically hip IPAs on tap and one lonely wit for me. Our super cute hippie bartender made Monello a killer margarita, though, and their food selections looked good enough that we might be back.

Next stop was the...I can't remember the name of it, but it's on the boardwalk and has all the frozen drink machines. Next door to Moe Moon's. Anyway, our bartender there was chatty and friendly.

We love going to new places, but we also love revisiting old favorites, like Myrtle Beach. There's a ton to do and see and eat here, and we always swear we're going to try something new...and then we end up back at our old haunts. I'm sure we'll go to Bubba's Love Shack in Murrell's Inlet, just like we always do, and we'll have lunch at the Indian place we like. When I'm desperate for salad, we'll go back to Mod because they do custom salads there, too.

Anyway, I'm really glad to be back on the road. Our month in Solomons was fine - got to see friends and my bestie got married - but the campground there is, um, more rustic than we are accustomed to. Plus it rained so much I was starting to get grouchy. Sunshine is more better.

Wish we still had the "Like" button!! And, you went down a week or two too early, so we won't see you. :frown:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
We'll be up that way to Kiawah Island (between Myrtle Beach and Charleston) in early Nov for Earl Klugh's Weekend of Jazz. My best friend since elementary school plays keyboards in the group for Earl at all his road ventures. It is really nice up there, especially now with the weather. The historical side always rocks.

Monello

PREMO Member
Here comes the sun

DSCN4853.jpg

DSCN4862.jpg

DSCN4867.jpg

DSCN4875.jpg

PJay

Last year in OCT there was Hurricane Matthew that hit that area and caused a lot of flooding.

I remember that one.. another one had to run from. Hopefully Hurricane's are done for this year.

RV parks are filling up with Snowbirds now. I look forward to Spring when they fly back home.

MR47930

Change in POTUS perhaps? I think that's what you were implying? :whistle:

I love Myrtle Beach! The PGA store there is what I imagine heaven looks like.

Monello

PREMO Member
We are staying at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. It's right 'on the beach'. It's like it's own little city. Over 800 campsites and over 2,000 other buildings. Everything from travel trailers with wooden roofs to 3 story beach party houses. Lots of other buildings including a post office. It has the usual pool, game room, activity center, laundry, snack bar and grocery store. They have their own radio station that plays in the buildings. At the height of the season you can find 30,000 people vacationing here. That's a lot of humanity.

Our neighbors have a 2 story toy hauler. The top pops up into a soft sided loft. Not sure how they get up there, probably use a ladder. This is golf cart central but we prefer our bikes for tooling around.

It's a short walk to the beach from K5. The bathhouse is on the corner. The beach is clean but there isn't much sand between the road and the ocean. Right now the weather is gorgeous. Time to get off the computer and head outside.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Honestly, if you come to Myrtle Beach, consider Ocean Lakes. Obviously if you have an RV, but they have vacation rentals as well. They really take good care of their facility and enforce the rules, unlike some other campgrounds, and there's so much to do here that you may not even venture out. It's a festive atmosphere, with people riding around in their golf carts enjoying the day, people fishing, kids riding their bikes.

I'm not sure why I only schedule us a week here because we really need to stay longer.

OldHillcrestGuy

Love Myrtle Beach, we go every year usually around Labor Day. Went the week before Labor day this year and thought it might be crowded. wasn't bad at all. Some of our favorites places for breakfast its the Golden Egg, in Surfside. For great crab cakes (Maryland kind) its the Heart and Soul its also in Surfside, the lady use to own the Noisy Oyster and was from Baltimore. For dinner we like Carolina Roadhouse and then for Italian its Umberto's up at Barefoot Landing, great lamb chops. The place we always stay is the Dayton House for the past 14 years or so. Its at 24th and Ocean Blvd, just short walk to the old part of Myrtle and the boardwalk. Im a beach person myself and the ocean is just maybe 400 ft away from the room. I go to the beach she goes shopping most of the day. If it wasn't for my health and all my doctors I see up here in Md/Dc, I would have already packed and moved. The price of homes so much less then here in SoMd. Enjoy your vacation

Monello

PREMO Member
This week's adventures included our first helicopter ride. The closest I've ever come to being in a moving helicopter was when I did some navy training and was picked up by winch out of the bay in Pensacola.

We did a quick trip over and around the beach. Things look much neater and organized from up there. It's not a thrill ride like the kind you would get at an amusement park. It does give you great vision. Sort of like what you see from the window seat of an airplane when it's landing. But the view isn't obstructed at all.

DSCN4879.jpg

DSCN4890.jpg

DSCN4883.jpg

DSCN4887.jpg

The campground is gearing up for Halloween. By that I mean most of the place is decorated. Many of the campers have gone way beyond anything you can imagine at a temporary location. I don't know how some of the people were able to carry all of their decorations. 8 foot inflatable monsters seem to be all the rage this year. I feel sort of naked with our undecorated site. I may have to go out and buy a pumpkin.

Later today they have lots of Halloween activities. I'm not sure what the prize is for the best decorated site but judging by the effort many people have put in so far, I'm guessing the juice is worth the squeeze.

The campground has to be over 90% full at this point. More people started rolling on on Thursday and it's been pretty much non stop. Golf cart are like smores here. All the campers have them. Lots of families pile on the cart and tool around the campground. Apollo isn't a big fan of the carts and makes his displeasure known. People have even gone to the trouble and decorated their carts with spider webs and pumpkins. There is a very festive atmosphere here the past few days.

DSCN4930.jpg

Today is beach day. What the means, I'm not really sure. We don't spend time at the beach other than going down for a walk or dipping toes in the water. It's shaping up to be another glorious day here. Shortly after we arrived it rained then the temperature plunged to the point of us needing sweatshirts. Luckily the temps bounced back up and now short & tank tops are the uniform of the day.

I caught 1 fish yesterday at 1 of the ponds here. There are 6 pound bass cruising the shorelines. I'd love to hook into a couple of those. The camp store displays a few stuffed bass that were caught here. The are listed at 8 & 10 pounds, so I know there are a few monsters lurking in the stained water.

I saw my first 2 story RV. It's 2 spots over from ours. I bet the guy's kids or grandkids love going up topside. It looks like the best fort ever. I think you access the upper level using a ladder. I'd switch it out and use a fireman's pole so you could slide down.

DSCN4915.jpg