Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar Systems likely to become more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post

The petition was brought on by Suniva, who filed for bankruptcy then petitioned the ITC 9 days later. SolarWorld supported the petition and the idea that cheap panels are affecting American companies. What's funny is that Suniva and SolarWorld are foreign owned. Suniva is 63% Chinese-owned, manufacturing a ton overseas, while SolarWorld is owned by a German company.
    Guess I should have read completely to the end of the thread before commenting, since I just rehashed what you said here. Will keep my comment up anyways I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Guess I should have read completely to the end of the thread before commenting, since I just rehashed what you said here. Will keep my comment up anyways I guess.
    No sweat. Wouldn't be the first time something gets repeated in a thread.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

I designed a hybrid system for our island club property that was going to include roughly 10 kw of solar panels, a 5kw wind turbine, a 25kw diesel generator, and a pretty large bank of storage batteries. That kind of cost increase could make us remove the solar part of it and install more batteries instead..or certainly scale the solar part back.

Only have the new 25k genny installed so far, anyway...haven't found the funds for the rest of it yet. ;-)
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    That kind of cost increase could make us remove the solar part of it and install more batteries instead..or certainly scale the solar part back.
    You can find American made panels for about ~15% more per watt than their equivalent Chinese competitors (though they are usually higher efficiency more expensive varieties to begin with). This might go up a bit if demand goes up after any new tariffs.

Assuming you were going to buy decent panels to begin with, you aren't looking at a huge cost increase for the panels and the associated hardware/cabling/installation would be cheaper with larger more efficient panels in any case.

There are several manufacturers in NY, and you can often buy straight from the factory and save a ton on shipping/markup if you're willing to drive up. Might have to buy a half/whole pallet, but sounds like you were going to anyways.

Blog Entries
    Consider a high-end panel is ~300 watts and about $240 each panel.

300w x $0.40 = $120
    300w x $0.78 = $234

That $240 panel would be $594.

Now multiply that one panel by, let's say, 50 panels and your panel cost goes from $12,000 to $29,700.

In general, panel cost would double.
    Installation, you can assume (approximate) $1000 per panel today.. so now you'd be talking about $1300 a panel installed..

50 panel system just went from 50K to 65000.

OUCH.. even with the 19,500 you get back at tax time.. OUCH..
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    You can find American made panels for about ~15% more per watt than their equivalent Chinese competitors (though they are usually higher efficiency more expensive varieties to begin with). This might go up a bit if demand goes up after any new tariffs.

Assuming you were going to buy decent panels to begin with, you aren't looking at a huge cost increase for the panels and the associated hardware/cabling/installation would be cheaper with larger more efficient panels in any case.

There are several manufacturers in NY, and you can often buy straight from the factory and save a ton on shipping/markup if you're willing to drive up. Might have to buy a half/whole pallet, but sounds like you were going to anyways.
    That's hopeful. We really want and need to stop hauling so much diesel fuel out to that island..
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I designed a hybrid system for our island club property that was going to include roughly 10 kw of solar panels, a 5kw wind turbine, a 25kw diesel generator, and a pretty large bank of storage batteries. That kind of cost increase could make us remove the solar part of it and install more batteries instead..or certainly scale the solar part back.

Only have the new 25k genny installed so far, anyway...haven't found the funds for the rest of it yet. ;-)
    If you're going to have a bank of batteries I'd look into a Hybrid GenSet.. 25K may be a little too large, but we use Hybrid GenSets now and it makes it so we have to fuel generators every other day instead of every 8 hours.

GenSet would charge the batteries, batteries would power the property, genset only runs when batteries need charged (during a sunny day your gen wouldn't run at all)

I would LOVE to have a bank of batteries.. but cost and size of batteries for a 13kWh system was a little astronomical..

The island has an odd use cycle. Zero electricity draw from Monday through early Friday..then an average of 15kw, peaking to 25kw in summer months when AC is running, from midday Friday through Sunday evening. So I've designed a system around that..totally different than an off grid home would require.

Fairly low wattage power sources with tons of slack time to charge a large battery bank that can support the 2 1/2 days of actual draw...with the 25kw genny to pick up the slack automatically if battery charge hits specified lower threshold.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 10-17-2017 at 04:26 PM.

That ac is a killer for sure, I have installed a few free electric providers on the farm in the last few years for fun.. I don't use ac there so that makes it easier. But due to the fact my electric bill last month was 27 bucks and change its just not worth it.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Blog Entries
    FYI for anyone looking into solar.

You may or may not know the International Trade Commission recommended tariffs on imported solar panels. The recommendations from the ITC will be on Trump's desk by 11/13/17 where Trump will likely give approval.

https://www.usitc.gov/press_room/new...r0922ll832.htm

The 2 companies who brought the issue to the ITC requested a $0.40 per watt duty on imported cells and a $0.78 per watt floor price for imported modules. This is going to cause material costs to go up, increasing overall job costs and payback periods.
    What is the difference between a cell and a module and why the difference per watt cost??

Members who have read this thread: 38