NFL Players Now Kneeling To Protest Gender Pay Gap

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"The No. 1 stated goal was to bring awareness to a lot of these issues and again, it's a broad spectrum of issues. Again, it’s not just police brutality and community policing," Stallworth told CNN's Ana Cabrera on Saturday, The Hill reports. "It's also — again from what I’m hearing from players directly involved in these talks — they’re telling me it’s also about the gender pay gap, it’s also about housing discrimination, they have so many things that they are interested in and advocating for and they want the NFL to take ownership in and help be able to use the NFL’s platform."

As Ed Morissey points out, the idea of the NFL becoming a major voice for the largely mythic gender pay gap is a bit ironic. Citing a recent report by NBC News on why the league's cheerleaders literally can't afford to risk taking a knee, he notes that while cheerleaders are paid a whopping $100 a week from the $13 billion industry, "players on the practice squad get $7,200 a week" while the minimum for active roster players "is over $27,000 per week."

Are players and cheerleaders of equal worth to the game? Of course not, but $100 a week... Maybe the players union will advocate for spreading some of that wealth around.

The Hill notes that all the hubbub over the anthem kneeling has died off a bit over the last week, with fewer players choosing to disrespect the country on Sunday, as evidenced by about half as many of the 49ers — the team that Kaepernick was the backup quarterback for when he started the ratings-damaging movement last season — kneeling this week compared to last (images below). While Goodell and the owners clearly want to see the kneeling end, the prominence of the issue is at least receding somewhat, for now.

NFL Players Now Kneeling To Protest Gender Pay Gap
Guess it's time to start spreading that NFL wealth around to the cheerleaders.

well they should pool all of the sports salaries and split them evenly with all the employees

Clem72

As Ed Morissey points out, the idea of the NFL becoming a major voice for the largely mythic gender pay gap is a bit ironic. Citing a recent report by NBC News on why the league's cheerleaders literally can't afford to risk taking a knee, he notes that while cheerleaders are paid a whopping $100 a week from the $13 billion industry, "players on the practice squad get $7,200 a week" while the minimum for active roster players "is over $27,000 per week."

Now I haven't done too much in depth research on this, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that every woman on the practice squad gets at least $7,200, and every man on the cheer squad makes $100 a week.

Or are we advocating equal pay for every job? Should the janitors make the same as the commissioner? I know which one stinks more at their job.

glhs837

Power with Control
help be able to use the NFL’s platform."

How about you all get together away from the game, buy some airtime and make a show called "Shiet the NFL Players Care About". Then folks could watch the games they pay to watch, the players could air their stuff, and everybody gets what they want.