Man arrested for meth that turned out to be donut glaze awarded $37.5k

Chris0nllyn

The City of Orlando paid $37,500 to a man to settle a lawsuit after police officers arrested him for what they thought was meth but was actually tiny flakes of glaze from a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

Daniel Rushing sued the city after a field test incorrectly showed he had drugs and he was arrested and taken to jail

Cpl. Shelby Riggs-Hopkins wrote in an arrest report that she saw “a rock-like substance on the floor board where his feet were.”

She did a series of roadside tests; they came back positive for an illegal substance.

Officers said it was meth and took Rushing to jail on a possession of methamphetamine with a firearm charge where he spent 10 hours before posting $2,500 bond.

Another test, this time performed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, determined it was sugar from the doughnut.

Orlando police ended up training more than 730 officers on how to properly use the field test kits.

Riggs-Hopkins was given a written reprimand for making an improper arrest

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...reme-glaze-orlando-police-20171012-story.html

Chris0nllyn

How the hell can a cop not recognize donut glaze?

Predetermined outcome?

Orlando police officers pulled him over in 2015 after police say he failed to come to a full stop before pulling out of a 7-Eleven store on West Colonial Drive. Police had been watching the store because of complaints about drug activity, according to an internal affairs report.

I've been pulled over for "not coming to a complete stop" before. I was leaving a shady neighborhood, saw the cop sitting there. He watched the 3 cars in front of me go through the stop sign and I pull up, count 1...2...3, and pull off only to get told I didn't stop. There's any number of reasons they can stop you when they want to.